DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VND Filters

Tomcat16

Reactions
Just bought the Freewell VND filter 2 pack and a CPL filter. These have made setting my manual camera and video Pera meters much easier.
I figured if I was going to use filters why not get the variable ND filters and install it once instead of taking them on and off when condition change. It is very convenient!

Just bought the Freewell VND filter 2 pack and a CPL filter. These have made setting my manual camera and video Pera meters much easier.
I figured if I was going to use filters why not get the variable ND filters and install it once instead of taking them on and off when condition change. It is very convenient!
All true, but there is no clear setting, so you definitely still need to remove the filter at dusk or in low light, and for still photography, especially at night. You also have to land the aircraft to make any VND filter changes, so not much difference over swapping fixed filters, and any all-in-one device sacrifices quality for convenience. The VND filter will also be heavier than a fixed ND filter, as it needs to have a rotating component, potentially placing more stress on the fragile gimbal.

All true, but there is no clear setting, so you definitely still need to remove the filter at dusk or in low light, and for still photography, especially at night. You also have to land the aircraft to make any VND filter changes, so not much difference over swapping fixed filters, and any all-in-one device sacrifices quality for convenience. The VND filter will also be heavier than a fixed ND filter, as it needs to have a rotating component, potentially placing more stress on the fragile gimbal.

There is a clear setting on the lower one, goes from zero to five stops!!
I have them too, and agree with Tomcat16, it is so convenient

Reactions: rcourtney671

I also have VND’s and sorry but I respectfully disagree, vast difference than swapping fixed filters.
The no clear setting is matter-less, I have the overexposure stripes set & twist until it is to my liking before take-off.
I see no difference in quality but a great difference in convenience.
No problems with the gimbal.
I put less stress on the gimbal rotating the filter than I do twisting a normal one on & off.
Don't think I have taken the first one I fitted off yet.
I may however have to take it off if I ever fly in very low light but it works for sun sets.
Set it before take-off with a simple twist & that’s it.

I use my block wall as kind of a grey card and have had to shut down a time or two to tweak it..but I'm liking it a lot. I also like the red ring..it makes it very easy to line up and slap on the gimbal guard on the air 2. I haven't heard anyone else mention that:cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S