DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Volunteering as eyes in the skies, need advice

Just trying to warn you before you get in trouble but that’s for you no figure out, not me.

You can have part 107 but it means nothing unless you have TRUST as well… Just trying to warn you before you get in trouble but that’s for you no figure out, not me.

This info is misleading, untrue, and not helpful to people new to flying drones in the USA. I have figured it out, having earned my Pt. 107 certification long before the TRUST cert existed, having taken formal drone training at college/university level, and now as an instructor of courses at an accredited public college.

I’d certainly advise those new to flying to get their TRUST training/exam and certificate as a logical first step, but in no way is it required or prerequisite to Pt. 107 certification. A current Pt. 107 certificate does allow one to legally fly without the TRUST cert.

Please see @BigAl07’s previous post, he is a forum moderator and member of FAA’s FAAST Safety Team. A font of excellent guidance I much appreciate!

I don’t often trot out my credentials, but these statements are just wrong and not supported by FAA regulation or practice. I’d hate for someone exploring drones to follow this misleading guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich QR and BigAl07
Just trying to warn you before you get in trouble but that’s for you no figure out, not me.

That's a good motto but you've gotta be VERY accurate if you're doing to try and present as a Subject Matter Expert.

Read 44807. Please. It's not that long or complicated. It is where the TRUST requirement comes from, and it describes the full consequence for failing to meet any of its limitations. It says that if you don't have your TRUST certificate, the consequence is that you are flying under Part 107, and subject to all the 107 requirements.

You won't find a requirement for TRUST anywhere in Part 107.

Ok guys, sorry about my mistake. When I was doing my research and getting my TRUST back when it was a brand new thing everyone was saying it was needed no matter what higher certification you had, apparently that either changed or I was mislead.
Sorry about the confusion.

Reactions: Rich QR and SethB
Ok guys, sorry about my mistake. When I was doing my research and getting my TRUST back when it was a brand new thing everyone was saying it was needed no matter what higher certification you had, apparently that either changed or I was mislead.
Sorry about the confusion.
I saw a lot of people saying similar things, especially right after TRUST came out. It's definitely true that TRUST is required for anyone who wants to fly under 44809, regardless of whether or not they have a Part 107 license. Even Part 107 pilots need a TRUST certificate to fly under 44809. That fact sometimes got misinterpreted into something like "Even Part 107 pilots need a TRUST certificate to fly for non-commercial purposes", or "Even Part 107 pilots need a TRUST certificate to fly, period". Those last two statements are incorrect.

Part 107 pilots need a TRUST certificate to fly under 44809, but they also have the option of flying under Part 107 rules, which don't require a TRUST certificate.

Reactions: Mavic Merrick
I’ve just noticed the listed age of @Mavic Merrick

One thing to bear in mind is that 16 years old is the minimum age for a Part 107 certificate. So, yes, a pilot younger than 16 must hold a TRUST certificate.

So, yes, for a 14 y/o a TRUST cert is required no matter what the future may hold.

Reactions: Mavic Merrick
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50