DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was this collision avoidance or dumb luck?

Rmag

Reactions
I was using my DJI Mavic Air in Active Track mode to follow a golf cart on vacation... until this happened and I decided to put it away. Not sure if collision avoidance did anything or if it was dumb luck. I’m leaning toward dumb luck...

Last edited:
I don’t use the active track a lot but from what I have experienced with the sensors, that is just pure luck. The sensors will stop the craft during avoidance, not aim it between those power lines. Had the sensors picked it up, it should have stopped.

I was using my DJI Mavic Air in Active Track mode to follow a golf cart on vacation... until this happened and I decided to put it away. Not sure if collision avoidance did anything or if it was dumb luck. I’m leaning toward dumb luck...

100% pure dumb luck. Obstacle avoidance isn't very good at detecting smaller things like power lines and small branches.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I haven't done much testing for obvious reasons, but I have actually found that the Mavic Air does a good job of detecting small branches. The few times I have tried (intentionally and unintentionally) it did recognize the branch(es) and stopped. I wouldn't trust it 100%, but I was impressed with what I saw.

Reactions: zwt100
I haven't done much testing for obvious reasons, but I have actually found that the Mavic Air does a good job of detecting small branches. The few times I have tried (intentionally and unintentionally) it did recognize the branch(es) and stopped. I wouldn't trust it 100%, but I was impressed with what I saw.
I wouldn’t trust it zero % to spot branches!

Reactions: jaybird66
I don’t use the active track a lot but from what I have experienced with the sensors, that is just pure luck. The sensors will stop the craft during avoidance, not aim it between those power lines. Had the sensors picked it up, it should have stopped.

If you enable Obstacle Avoidance in Active Track, it should do some avoidance if able to. If it can spot the way around it, it should use it and will stop a way around it is not within its "sight". Interestingly enough, the app lists only horizontal avoidance for Active Track, not the full APAS. Not sure if this is correct, or just left over labeling from the Pro. Handful of videos should some avoidance in Active Track, not sure if I've seen vertical avoidance.

I wouldn’t trust it zero % to spot branches!

It would be unwise to trust collision avoidance implicitly in any situation, though I have been very impressed with it thus far even with things I would not have expected it to see. Hopefully I never need to find out at what point it fails.

I think it was luck also! Glad you didn’t destroy your drone :eek:..... I’ve noticed obstacle avoidance dose not work so well when confronted with power lines sadly.

I've been doing some filming (so I can put together a review/tips at some point soon) and been highly impressed with the avoidance logic. Had APAS enabled before turning on active track, not sure if it stayed on or not, but seems pretty impressive avoidance.

Shows some of the drone avoiding trees and branches whilst following me (Tried to embed it with timecode, but BBCode failure, it strips all that off it, so 44 seconds)

Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg and z28lt1
I turned it in before doing the follow, not sure if it turned it off or not?

My experience too! I've clipped a few branches neither I or my MP saw & I barely missed a high hanging electrical wire that my MP didn't 'see.' But many other times the MP 'saw' the trees and avoided them.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803