DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water damaged Mini2 needs repair!

Ian UK

Reactions
Hi,
My friend flew his drone under a small bridge, and just before he came out the drone lurched to the right and hit the wall and fell in to the river. It took him a few hours to go home and get his boots on and find it.
He dismantled it and flushed it with fresh water, then dried out over night.
Amazingly the drone looks good as new! There is no visible condensation behind the camera window, it must be well sealed!
When he put in a new battery, it straight away did the power-on beeps and the motors twitched, and front LED lit up very dimly but that was it!
There was no connectivity to the remote control, and the gimbal didn't rotate (it is free).
Today we flushed it with IPA, still dead, still partially starts as soon as the battery is inserted, beeps and motors twitch as normal, but no LEDs on at all.
We tried pressing and holding the "on" button and quick-transfer button, but it made no difference.
So I think he is going to send off to a repair shop.
My question is: has anybody use DJI approved repair centres?
What was the problem, cure, cost?
The 2 repair centres we've seen are Dronedoctor and Droneworx both .co .uk
Any stories about repair centres would be welcome.
Thank you!

@Ian UK i take it then that your friend did not have the care refresh option for his Mini2
I can not comment on any drone repairers in the UK, as fortunately so far(touch wood) i have not had to use the services they provide (tempting fate there i guess),the cost will obviously depend on the level of damage to the drone and most reputable repairers should inform you of the repair price before commencing any work ,i believe it is possible to just purchase the drone direct from DJI without the RC or accessories, and that option could be the best way to go if the repair bill is large ,another way is to buy the basic package ,and then either keep the RC as a spare or sell it
that way you will have an extra battery and some props and the ability to charge extra batteries as well

No, he didn't have the DJI care package! But nor have I. He's a lot more adventurous with his drone than I am so I am not surprised he's clobbered it and drowned it.
He immediately bought a replacement (the basic DJI mini2), so he is back flying again.
I think I would do the same. It's better to have spent £950 and have a drone, then to have spent £550 and have no-drone!
He's going to send it to Dronedoctor this week becaue they offer quick turn around. And yes, I am sure he will want to know the cost before giving them the green light to fix it.
The thing is, the repair shops have you by the short and curlies. They can offer to fix it for say £200, and if you pay up you get your good-as-new drone back, and if you don't want to pay, you get 249 grams of useless plastic back.
I really don't know what I'd do in this situation, nor do I know what he will do.
I'll keep you posted!
I have suggested he joins this forum.

Reactions: old man mavic
Well he sent his water damaged Mini2 to DRONEDOCTOR and within a few days they reported it was badly corroded and too expensive to repair. No quote for the repair.
Cost £8.99 to send and £19.95 to have it diagnosed and returned…

It was under the water for over an hour, so that amount of time is probably what killed it completely.
So now he has some spare bits!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000