DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Waterfall Pics of Tellico Plains, TN Area

tlswift58

Reactions
Took a trip over to check out the Cherohala Skyway - between Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, TN. There are quite a few fairly nice falls in the Tellico Plains area, so included them in my trip.

The 3 main ones I droned were Baby Falls (approx 10-15' high) on the Tellico River, Bald River Falls (approx 90-100' high) on the Bald River, and Conasauga Falls (approx 30-40' high) on Conasauga Creek. Bald River Falls is the tallest of the 3 and had most water flow. Well worth a trip to the area to fly. Many other falls on those rivers that don't always show up on waterfall maps.

I did video them as well, but need to upload the files to Vimeo to post here.

Attachments

• DJI_0138.JPG
    DJI_0138.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 45
  • DJI_0128.JPG
    DJI_0128.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DJI_0154.JPG
    DJI_0154.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 46
Yes! I paddled the water below Bald River Falls and kayaked over Baby Falls at high water and low water back in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't been in the area since 2014, but since I got my Mini, Tellico Plains has been on my mind, again. I don't get around so good, anymore, though. Thanks for the memories.
Did you ride the Skyway and Tail of the Dragon?

Reactions: tlswift58
You could frame those and hang 'em on the wall. Nice pics!

Took a trip over to check out the Cherohala Skyway - between Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, TN. There are quite a few fairly nice falls in the Tellico Plains area, so included them in my trip.

The 3 main ones I droned were Baby Falls (approx 10-15' high) on the Tellico River, Bald River Falls (approx 90-100' high) on the Bald River, and Conasauga Falls (approx 30-40' high) on Conasauga Creek. Bald River Falls is the tallest of the 3 and had most water flow. Well worth a trip to the area to fly. Many other falls on those rivers that don't always show up on waterfall maps.

Fantastic shots. Should be printed and framed!

Yes! I paddled the water below Bald River Falls and kayaked over Baby Falls at high water and low water back in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't been in the area since 2014, but since I got my Mini, Tellico Plains has been on my mind, again. I don't get around so good, anymore, though. Thanks for the memories.
Did you ride the Skyway and Tail of the Dragon?
I drove over Cherohala and only got a couple of drone pics and videos. Cool ride, yet like so many places like Cherohala - vegetation is taking over many of the overlooks and views are getting poor. Great for a drone though. I was driving over at sunrise, but did not get the drone up. Did coming back but was about 1 pm and sun was fairly bright. Have to upload my vids to VIMEO to post here.

Not done Tail of the Dragon - don't have a motorcycle / sports car; but did drive a year or so ago over to the beginning right off Fontana Lake to Deals.

The hardest one to shoot was my last one - Conasauga. About 11 am and the sun was playing havoc along with dark shade spots.

Thanks for all the great comments. Now to upload the not as great videos to VIMEO and post some here.

I am assuming you used a very high ND filter and slow shutter. Can you tell me which filter you used? (guessing ND 1000).

Those Mavic Air 2’s are simply fantastic drones - capabilities in the air and for still frames and videos, with excellent colour and clarity. Thanks for posting. Nice work. ????

I am assuming you used a very high ND filter and slow shutter. Can you tell me which filter you used? (guessing ND 1000).
Not at all. I use the ND16 that stays on my drone 99% of the time. I did crank down the EV to about -.7 - -1.0, esp at Conasauga - the 3rd fall due to harsh sunlight at about 11 am. The other 2 were early morning, so not so much sun to require stopping it way down.

Those Mavic Air 2’s are simply fantastic drones - capabilities in the air and for still frames and videos, with excellent colour and clarity. Thanks for posting. Nice work. ????
Yes, I love my Air 2. I have noticed it does not like extreme sunlight even with an ND16 filter on it. Thus requiring dropping the EV way down in the minus range. 4x digital zoom also has pretty harsh pixelation in bright sun or low light, so I've learned to not try to go that far in those conditions.

Would be nice to have a larger sensor like on the 2S, but not in the gotta have the latest / greatest upgrade game. Still trying to figure out the Air2 even after a year of flying it. I use most of the basic features as that is less time consuming on the front end and when flying many of the falls I do fly - time is critical to not hit low battery and not be near home.

Yes, I love my Air 2. I have noticed it does not like extreme sunlight even with an ND16 filter on it. Thus requiring dropping the EV way down in the minus range. 4x digital zoom also has pretty harsh pixelation in bright sun or low light, so I've learned to not try to go that far in those conditions.

Would be nice to have a larger sensor like on the 2S, but not in the gotta have the latest / greatest upgrade game. Still trying to figure out the Air2 even after a year of flying it. I use most of the basic features as that is less time consuming on the front end and when flying many of the falls I do fly - time is critical to not hit low battery and not be near home.
Get there fast and do filming on the way home …… ????

Get there fast and do filming on the way home …… ????
You know it.

I don't usually have to fly very far - less than 1/4 mile for most of my pics / videos - but paying attention to battery life is important no matter how short the flight is. Have gotten close on a couple of occasions, but drone was within 30-40 ft and I was trying to land anyway.

I also like to get going out and coming as a contrast, as you see different things from those 2. Since I do A LOT of waterfalls - both perspectives are cool to me. Many people like the run up the falls, which has merit, but coming down a fall is something many don't ever see. I am nowhere as good as my drone racing buddy (with FPV's) as he skirts the falls very close. Some of his videos make me get nauseous as it's so fast / so close.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929