DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waterloo Region??

Hi, I'm new to the drone world. Any body know of some good spots around her to fly? or maybe meet up for some flying and experience sharing tips sometime?

Welcome to this forum.?
"Good spots". I guess that depends on your interests (architecture, waterways, forested areas, open fields,etc). The official website for the Regional Municipality of Waterloo doesn't indicate any restrictions (that I can find) other than wrt the airport so that provides a pretty large area to explore. You could explore the area on Google Maps in Satellite View to locate potentially interesting sites.
Be sure to follow the rules as per Transport Canada including registering your drone and obtaining your Pilot Certificate (unless you have the "Mini").
A must have app for Canadians, imho, is Drone Pilot Canada by My Appatory. Check it out as it is a very comprehensive tool to meet Transport Canada requirements.

Thank you, I have been using Google Maps a little bit to try and find some nice spots. Not overly picky on what to video, just want to find some decent spots that won't raise to many problems with people complaining and bylaw issues, as well as to get familiar with the machine, still a little nervous to take it up and out to far. ? Yes I have the Mavic Mini

Thank you, I have been using Google Maps a little bit to try and find some nice spots. Not overly picky on what to video, just want to find some decent spots that won't raise to many problems with people complaining and bylaw issues, as well as to get familiar with the machine, still a little nervous to take it up and out to far. ? Yes I have the Mavic Mini
Do you know any farmers in the area? I've found that if I ask permission first most will allow me to fly over their property without any hassle. Try to find a farm with a stream and/or woods and fallow fields.
You could try the "Pioneer Tower" site opposite the sand bluffs. It's been years since I've been there so I'm only guessing that it might be a good spot. With the current restrictions wrt the corona virus there may be difficulties at public sites.

Yes very true, a lot of parks are closed. Will keep my eyes open. And hopefully stumble across some other people close by in the area.
Might be a bit of a drive for you but you might try the flats BELOW the Conestoga dam. Lots of open fields, wooded areas and, of course, the river. If the entry isn't closed. The grounds above the dam are closed but you may be able to access below the dam. ?
There might also be some good spots along the river downstream from Glen Allan or the riverside car park (for fishing) at Wallenstein.
Too many the more I think about it. Just drive around the countryside outside K-W. Note the GPS location of any possibilities for future visits.
Take care and enjoy.?

? or maybe meet up for some flying and experience sharing tips sometime?
Welcome to the forum! I didn’t realize “MeetUps” were actually a thing until I got my first Mavic last January. Since meeting these local folks, I’ve made some good friends and learned quite a bit. Here are some MeetUp groups in the Toronto area:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas