DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waterproofing a drone

bmcelya

Premium Pilot
Reactions
On a search for flying in fog, I found that the Mini 2 is mightily prone to moisture intrusion. There’s a few companies the will waterproof my iPhone using technology like this:

MG Chemicals - 422B-340G 422B Silicone Conformal Coating, Clear, 340 gram Aerosol by Amazon.com
Learn more: Amazon.com

It would be an easy caper for phone and drone companies to do this, but they wouldn’t sell as many units now would they.

Question: Has anyone tried doing this to a drone, specifically a Mini 2? If the boards were coated, along with all mechanical connections throughout the aircraft, would it not be at least highly water resistant, if not fully submersible? It is my view that drone manufacturers should be doing this to their offerings. It wouldn’t cost much at the point of assembly to do it. Given that most of us fly outside in the weather, it should be done on every drone that comes off the line. And while they’re at it, waterproof the controller. I’d pay an extra $30 for that. Think of all the more flying opportunities this would give to pilots. Yes there are waterproof drones out there, but all outdoor drones should be waterproof.

For now I’ll get one of those waterproof skins, though I loathe adding hardware to a machine that flies so well. When the warranty is up along with the care package, I may take my stuff apart, coat everything and see how it goes.

Use caution when flying in the fog.

Page 18 of the manual says not to.

I've read horror stories of it affecting the VPS / IR sensor(s) and the drone may want to avoid the fog as an obstacle, or try to land on it, taking it's sweet time coming down through it.

VLOS goes away quickly so have a good eye on it.

Strobes will help.

Good luck. :cool:

"Coat everything" and I would have concerns about affecting heat transfer rates. They use the thermal paste for a reason. But I suppose I could be being too worrisome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
On a search for flying in fog, I found that the Mini 2 is mightily prone to moisture intrusion. There’s a few companies the will waterproof my iPhone using technology like this:

MG Chemicals - 422B-340G 422B Silicone Conformal Coating, Clear, 340 gram Aerosol by Amazon.com
Learn more: Amazon.com

It would be an easy caper for phone and drone companies to do this, but they wouldn’t sell as many units now would they.

Question: Has anyone tried doing this to a drone, specifically a Mini 2? If the boards were coated, along with all mechanical connections throughout the aircraft, would it not be at least highly water resistant, if not fully submersible? It is my view that drone manufacturers should be doing this to their offerings. It wouldn’t cost much at the point of assembly to do it. Given that most of us fly outside in the weather, it should be done on every drone that comes off the line. And while they’re at it, waterproof the controller. I’d pay an extra $30 for that. Think of all the more flying opportunities this would give to pilots. Yes there are waterproof drones out there, but all outdoor drones should be waterproof.

For now I’ll get one of those waterproof skins, though I loathe adding hardware to a machine that flies so well. When the warranty is up along with the care package, I may take my stuff apart, coat everything and see how it goes.
The Wet Suit are 0.02 ounces and they keep the Mini 2 flying in the Rain with no problems. We found after submerging the Mini 2 in the water the ESC is the weakest link .

There use to be a company that had an amazing water proof spray better than anything on the market today however it was so flammable that it is no longer sold in the US , and can only be found in Germany. The problem was as stated above that heat caused it to catch on fire.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Mini 2 in the Rain.,

Aye mates, I have no plans to fly in fog. None at all. I merely think that companies making drones can and should waterproof them. Easy caper. During this drone buying explosion there will be no incentive, but when sales begin to slump, maybe then. They’ll work every angle
possible to get sales back up. Waterproofing will be one of them, and ya heard it here first. It wouldn’t take that much more effort to design and build waterproof drones.

For now I may get me one of those phantomrain covers. Looks good. When the waterproof version of my drone comes out, I’ll buy it. It’s already being done. Commercial delivery drones are waterproofed aftermarket. Think about it. Would I want my fleet of expensive drones taken out by a kid with a water balloon?

note: There are many electrical coatings that are nonflammable. I mentioned one above. Here’s three more:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll