DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint advice... Getting started

CJH92474

Reactions
I've been getting comfortable with my 2 drones (MPP & M2P) since December. Learning from my mistakes and even more from the brains here!

I was thinking I'd start learning waypoints soon and would be grateful for your input on where to start. Thank you so much in advance.

With what software? I'd start by installing Litchi and Namirda's Virtual Litchi Mission and then go straight to YouTube for tutorials. Start practicing by creating simple flights in the Mission Hub, through Virtual Litchi Mission. One of the most important things to do is to place your first waypoint directly above your take-off location, and it's a good idea to place your last one there as well.

With what software? I'd start by installing Litchi and Namirda's Virtual Litchi Mission and then go straight to YouTube for tutorials. Start practicing by creating simple flights in the Mission Hub, through Virtual Litchi Mission. One of the most important things to do is to place your first waypoint directly above your take-off location, and it's a good idea to place your last one there as well.
If you would have seen the puzzled look on my face he probably would have laughed!!! Thank you very much for all of the information you provided. That's exactly why I asked here.

Just wondering I have flown 3 or 4 flights with way points just in the Go4 app. Is this good practice for Litchi?

Litchi is the game leader in waypoints. In fact if you want to study and understand the behavior of your drone in air, litchi wp is the very useful. One of the best ways to use it is to create an acct in Litchi, create a mission on your computer with mission hub. Then open it on the mobile device you use for flying and load it on to the ac. The ac will complete the mission autonomously with no input from you. Two things are crucial: the sdk is under the control of litchi and you have to be absolutely sure that the power source for the ac is more than enough to complete the mission, all factors like weather etc taken into consideration.
In fact you can open both Litchi and DJI GO at the same time, do the preflight checklist with GO, switch over to Litchi, load the mission, let the ac start it, then close litchi and switch over to GO.
In my close around 4 years with Litchi, I never have had an issue.

Another really useful tool: download google earth, create your mission on Mission Hub, then download the kml file and open with google earth. You can view, analyze, play pretty much a foolproof way to ensure that your mission is compromised by topography and your settings are optimal.

I noticed Litchi shows estimated flight time (see screenshot attached - 18min at the top in purple) but I don't see it in the DJI App - can someone point me to where this information is?

Also, besides wind and temperature, are there any other factors that could affect the estimated flight time? Is 18min pushing the limits?

Thanks everyone!
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.54.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.54.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerMav
In the DJI app it shows as the green line on top below the icons and it shows the remaining time going to the home from green to yellow to red. To estimate the battery remaining there are a couple of things that you can do ; one is to make sure that you have the battery cell screen as either one of your quick buttons C1 or C2 or tap the screen to reach the battery screen and see how the cells are doing. But more importantly make sure that the voltage is displayed on the main screen, that is an option that you can choose on the battery screen options. Usually you don’t want to go below 3.3v and by the time that you get there you should be close to home.

@amstar seems to only show me the battery that I have left, not the estimated time to complete the waypoint mission I have set up - is there somewhere else?

IMG_0002.PNG

WP on DJI shows the battery left only, you have to estimate the time remaining based on your flying style. Not sure if DJI GS shows the time. Thats why Litchi is the go to app for this. This is a WP flight planned on Litchi Mission Hub and executed in DJI GO:

Reactions: bcoles
In fact you can open both Litchi and DJI GO at the same time, do the preflight checklist with GO, switch over to Litchi, load the mission, let the ac start it, then close litchi and switch over to GO.
In my close around 4 years with Litchi, I never have had an issue.

Thanks @amstar for all the great information. You're providing invaluable confidence to a new pilot. Will test out the above instructions before I try going big over water. :cool:

I know it's a month since the last reply but wanted to add this is really useful, ive just set up my first waypoint plan that im hoping to do this evening an hour pre sunset and have read and reread the info provided here and watched a good few youtube vids too so feeling fairly confident. I guess we will see :)

Glad to see this thread. Seems very similar to the Mission Planner and Tower apps that I used to use with my Iris+. Happy to know that the M2 has this capability.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots