DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint stock feed checking - is this possible?

gonuts

Reactions
Thinking of buying a mavic zoom.

The task requires the drone to rise to 120m (max legal altitude), fly to a GPS waypoint, fly down to 10m, fly back up to 120m and continue for 3 or 4 waypoints then return home.

Is there any program/app that will allow the mavic to do this autonomously? What would happen if the mavic lost reception with the controller?

Thankyou.

Reactions: mereflyer
Update to the question, after some research.

There seems to be a few apps, but I cannot find the best one for that specific flight. Theres "mavic FPV" and "Litchi" etc. But looking at these two apps they don't seem to support "fly to this destination the go straight down then hold then back up and repeat." So specifically they don't seem to be able to hold a position nor fly vertically. I'd also like to stand in the position of the waypoint with my phone and save that exact location. Maybe I'm asking for too much but this is just seems basic stuff so an "inspection' requirement rather then a cinematic flightpath that all these apps seem geared for.

Currently there is one app which handles waypoint action like you wish, descend or climb to a specific height, it's Autopilot. Autopilot - Hangar

Unfortunately they are not supporting the newer Mavic Models M2P, M2Z, M2E and M2ED as we speak. They are working on it and it's being expected to have above mentioned aircraft working with their app in Q1 2019.

It's definitly worth the money!

Update to the question, after some research.

There seems to be a few apps, but I cannot find the best one for that specific flight. Theres "mavic FPV" and "Litchi" etc. But looking at these two apps they don't seem to support "fly to this destination the go straight down then hold then back up and repeat." So specifically they don't seem to be able to hold a position nor fly vertically. I'd also like to stand in the position of the waypoint with my phone and save that exact location. Maybe I'm asking for too much but this is just seems basic stuff so an "inspection' requirement rather then a cinematic flightpath that all these apps seem geared for.

I've seen a few videos produced using Litchi and they are quite amazing. You might check youtube and see if any accomplish that as part of their videos. I'm not sure about the hovering aspect of your needs.

If you feel adventurous build your own using Arducopter / Pixhawk - it has this behaviour at its core, can do what you want easily. I used to fly this on a DJI 550 frame, the biggest problem with that was flight time. I didn't think the E300 power system was as good as claims for it as my useable payload was rubbish, but I used 10C 10000mah batteries and could get up to 25 mins weather pending but it was no sports car. I carried a GoPro Black (Hero 4) on a zenmuse which I flew with a different transmitter. I ran telemetry and camera back to a groundstation (read laptop PC) using 5.8Ghz dongles.

I don't think the Mavic is aimed at this function and seems more biased toward photography / video than autonomous operation.

With the Pixhawk suitably configured you program the waypoints, tell the machine what to do when it gets there.

Arducopter

Thinking of buying a mavic zoom.

The task requires the drone to rise to 120m (max legal altitude), fly to a GPS waypoint, fly down to 10m, fly back up to 120m and continue for 3 or 4 waypoints then return home.

Is there any program/app that will allow the mavic to do this autonomously? What would happen if the mavic lost reception with the controller?

Thankyou.
If you have an iPad you can do that with DJI GS Pro. The hover at a waypoint can be set from 0 to 30 seconds in 1 second increments. Other actions that can be set on a waypoint are photo capture, start/stop recording, aircraft rotation, and gimbal pitch rotation.
You would have to stack waypoints to achieve this but it is possible.

You can do the exact same things using straight line waypoint mode in Litchi. Like you said, you just need to stack waypoints and tell the aircraft what actions to take at each one.