DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints 2.0 vs Litchi

Michael Gilbert

Premium Pilot
Reactions
With all the comparing discussions between Litchi and DJI's Waypoint 2.0 and its inferiority to the former. I recently discovered one feature that tips the scale towards the Waypoint 2.0 side.
Many may know this already, using the drone's current position you can set a waypoint using the C1 button. This is also true with Litchi, nothing new here. However the big difference between
the two apps is that DJI's Waypoint sets the Drone's altitude, yaw, and pitch. whereas Litchi only sets the altitude and yaw. Setting camera pitch is a huge factor and eliminates the need to use POIs
for simple flight paths that requires focusing on a subject. Also the C2 button serves as an undo button. I'm a big Litchi fan but these simple differences changes things.

Nice spot! Thanks for sharing, I might actually try using waypoints 2.0 now for the very reasons you've stated!

With all the comparing discussions between Litchi and DJI's Waypoint 2.0 and its inferiority to the former. I recently discovered one feature that tips the scale towards the Waypoint 2.0 side.
Many may know this already, using the drone's current position you can set a waypoint using the C1 button. This is also true with Litchi, nothing new here. However the big difference between
the two apps is that DJI's Waypoint sets the Drone's altitude, yaw, and pitch. whereas Litchi only sets the altitude and yaw. Setting camera pitch is a huge factor and eliminates the need to use POIs
for simple flight paths that requires focusing on a subject. Also the C2 button serves as an undo button. I'm a big Litchi fan but these simple differences changes things.

Wouldn't you have to be flying and at a waypoint in order to set the pitch. How would you plan a mission - including the pitch, before flying? I guess you could plan the mission and fly to each waypoint and set the pitch for each waypoint, then fly the finished mission.

Dave :)

davemgood - That's correct you would need to fly to each spot and then set the waypoint by pressing the C1 button which is the key. If you tap the screen instead of using the C1 button pitch is not set. Once all done, fly the mission. When using this method POIs are not needed. Pretty cool! Unfortunately, you can't use this method to pre-plan missions.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
the big difference between
the two apps is that DJI's Waypoint sets the Drone's altitude, yaw, and pitch. whereas Litchi only sets the altitude and yaw.
Are you sure? I haven't done a Litchi mission recently, but can recall doing one six months or so ago which did have gimbal pitch set using C1/C2. In fact that's what convinced me what a great idea it was to create missions on the fly! Maybe something's changed? Or there's something needs changing in mission settings?

Are you sure? I haven't done a Litchi mission recently, but can recall doing one six months or so ago which did have gimbal pitch set using C1/C2. In fact that's what convinced me what a great idea it was to create missions on the fly! Maybe something's changed? Or there's something needs changing in mission settings?

I tested it today using the latest version of Litchi and pitch was not set. There may be a setting that controls this but I'm not aware of one.

Set the mission setting "Default gimbal pitch mode" to "interpolate", then Litchi will save the gimbal pitch too.
Ah, so you need to do this before you start pressing the buttons? Makes sense, thought it might be something like that!

Practically, you are talking about framing the shot before you are on location (creating a mission with gimbal pitch set). I don't know any good photographer who does that. You may get the shot in the ballpark, but some adjustment would be needed. Not very many previously set missions are perfect. You must move up, down, left or right - as well as gibmal pitch, in order to best frame a shot. Creating the mission from a map is a start but is most likely something that must be adjusted on site.

Practically, you are talking about framing the shot before you are on location (creating a mission with gimbal pitch set). I don't know any good photographer who does that. You may get the shot in the ballpark, but some adjustment would be needed. Not very many previously set missions are perfect. You must move up, down, left or right - as well as gibmal pitch, in order to best frame a shot. Creating the mission from a map is a start but is most likely something that must be adjusted on site.

No, I'm talking about the opposite, framing the shot while on location using the drone's current position, yaw, and pitch.

Hi, quick question. I have a CS and am still waiting for us underdogs to be given the waypoints facility and was wondering, when you’re plotting out your route, does the software alert you if the mission exceeds the battery capacity?

I’ve not seen anything mentioned about this so was wondering. Thanks, Peter

Reactions: davemgood
Hi, quick question. I have a CS and am still waiting for us underdogs to be given the waypoints facility and was wondering, when you’re plotting out your route, does the software alert you if the mission exceeds the battery capacity?

I think it only gives you battery estimates based on the AC connected. I dont get the idea of waypoints needing multiple batteries unless waypoints are arranged in a circle and the RC is in the middle.

I think it only gives you battery estimates based on the AC connected. I dont get the idea of waypoints needing multiple batteries unless waypoints are arranged in a circle and the RC is in the middle.

Thanks, I was just a little worried about being a bit too ambitious and the bird running out of juice half way into the mission.

With Litchi It tells you the total time it takes to complete the mission per the cruising speed. You should be able to determine if you enough battery charge from that.
When mapping large areas in a grid-like formation, knowing the number of batteries needed is quite useful.

With Litchi It tells you the total time it takes to complete the mission per the cruising speed. You should be able to determine if you enough battery charge from that.
When mapping large areas in a grid-like formation, knowing the number of batteries needed is quite useful.

Thanks, just wondering if Waypoints 2 was as sophisticated as that and gave you similar info/warning eg “Planned route exceeds battery duration “ or words to that effect.

I use CS too, but have a Note 8 as a backup. However, I'll use Litchi for waypoint action. CS uses an old version of Android. That would have anything to do with the delay, right? Anyone?

Set the mission setting "Default gimbal pitch mode" to "interpolate", then Litchi will save the gimbal pitch too.
Confirmed! I went out today to tried it out, and it works. Thanks vctech for clearing this up.
It really is a nice feature to frame your shots in real time. Plus the pitch transition from one waypoint to the next is smooth as silk.

One anomaly I noticed today with Litchi, if I set the 1st waypoint at a low altitude, for instance 2 ft, the drone would not start the mission, but freeze at that first point.
I then raised the alt. to 9ft. and the drone executed the mission.
Any ideas why that happens? Is there a low alt limit?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR