DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints mission accuracy

fdewarren

Reactions
Hi there,
I'm trying to create an hyperlapse video of a construction site over a period of 2 years.
The idea is to fly the same path around the building and then stich the videos to witness the construction by using videos back to back instead of a diaporama (fixed timelapse)
However, the first tests I have done show that the Mavic 2 does not fly exactly the same path everytime even when GPS reception is 12 satellites or higher and no wind...
So during editing, it is hard to match 2 videos 1 month apart as the altitude difference or angle of view is different enough to show. Even when using merging transitions, it does not look smooth.
Any idea on how to improve the accuracy? Maybe slow down the cruising speed? use arc instead of polyline? use less waypoints? modify only 1 parameter at a time between 2 waypoints? etc.
Has anybody tried this?

Thank you for any advice.

Using MAvic 2 zoom
mission is set with 5 waypoints around the site in half circle including change of heading, camera angle, and altitude.

You didn't say what flight app(s) you've used, have you tried Litchi?

the issue you have is that everything is moving in relation to the fixed point you chose as your take off point so you are never going to get a perfect match between takes
and even the wind on a particular day will influence the trajectory that the drone takes

I'm not sure this is true.
Nor am I. A couple of weeks ago I had an extended email conversation with DJI Support about that very subject. They did like to dance around the subject a bit but ultimately they said that the Support team would evaluate crashes for Warranty consideration. They did not say that by using Litchi the customer's issue would not be considered. I'll start a separate Thread with a transcript of my conversation with DJI.

it will be a bit veird if DJI give SDK to developers and then declare that using a thirds developer product you are out of warranty.

I, also, have had this conversation about a year ago with DJI over on their forum... but for my Spark. They told me the same thing...no coverage if you are using a 3rd party app. Weirdly, they said I was covered using the Pilot app because it's DJI product. Even though it wasn't made for the Spark, it did recognize it and grey out the unusable features, but it let me fly a couple missions using it.

What did you do to "fix" your waypoint shift problem? I am just delving into timelapse/hyperlapse and would love to know what you did to alleviate the issue. I would think the waypoints would be fairly static...

What did you do to "fix" your waypoint shift problem? I am just delving into timelapse/hyperlapse and would love to know what you did to alleviate the issue. I would think the waypoints would be fairly static...
The waypoints will be as accurate (or inaccurate) as consumer GPS.
Their accuracy could be +/- 10 feet or so, but often less.
That won't matter much as long as you aren't getting close to your subjects and potential obstacles.

Reactions: drone_dh
That is what I would have thought, not sure what the original issue really was. You set a gps point, it should stay the same, within tolerances, but unless the earth shifted.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803