DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints on MA2

Seems like they have no plans to do that. Waypoints will be supported on 3rd party apps via a "virtual sticks" method.
I wonder why DJI won't add Waypoints when they have the ability to...is it because they want to use as a upgrade factor lure for M3P whenever it comes out.

If you are on iOS then “Maven for dji drones” is for you.
I have been using it since 2018 and I now use it with my Mavic Air 2. With waypoints you can create from scratch, import a waypoint mission created on the litchi hub or create a mission on the fly.
The app is simple to use and very reliable and does far more than waypoints. If you wish to fly the mission over uneven ground you can set the “above ground” option.
At each waypoint you can carry out actions set before hand, take a photo, start/stop recording, rotate aircraft, stay there for a set period, switch bottom light on. There are POI, curved flightpath for smoother video. The app also allows geofencing on an area so you don’t wander outside boundaries and so on.
I have use Dronelink, Litchi but settled for this app as it meets my needs very well.
As I said it is iOS only at the moment but once the Android version is completed (it will be some time) then with what it offers it will enter the “big league”
Where dji have allowed with the SDK the waypoints can be fully autonomous flights with the option to “complete the mission” even with signal loss but with the Mavic Air 2 and the mini the waypoint missions are created and flown using “virtual Sticks” which mean the drone has to be in contact with the controller at all times as the actions are generated within the app and sent directly to the drone through the controller to be carried out. In this case if signal is lost then the drone climbs to RTH altitude and returns.
This limitation Is as a result of the dji SDK not the app developer, they chose to do this.
The mini 2 will be included when (and if) dji release an SDK for the mini 2.
Good luck with your choice.

As I said it is iOS only at the moment but once the Android version is completed (it will be some time) then with what it offers it will enter the “big league”
Android would be the minor leagues. Just saying ?

No for a while…a lot of commercial work with mavic series and older drones is still carried out on android and now that Apple have raised the stakes for developers including dJI we will see.

Firstly fees, If you are a 3rd party developer and your app revenue per annum is below $1M Apple want 12-20% fee, if you are over $1M they want 20-30% Until this is settled Apple will not pass substantial new apps through the App Store but will allow updates.
It’s no accident that DJI are moving Android apps to their own download website.

Secondly as part of the dispute Apple want a share of revenue for in app purchases and from all in app advertising.

Thirdly and Apple have won this one already they insist that any app that advertises must ask the user if they want targeted advertising.

This dispute is far from over so we will see. I agree the quality of testing by Apple is second to none but expensive.

It’s a shame there are so many variations and devices for Android but imagine if DJI and other drone manufacturers agreed on a common standard for a new Android type version…it’s been done before , I live in hope

Reactions: PAYBACK
I have been using it since 2018 and I now use it with my Mavic Air 2. With waypoints you can create from scratch, import a waypoint mission created on the litchi hub or create a mission on the fly.
The app is simple to use and very reliable and does far more than waypoints. If you wish to fly the mission over uneven ground you can set the “above ground” option.
At each waypoint you can carry out actions set before hand, take a photo, start/stop recording, rotate aircraft, stay there for a set period, switch bottom light on. There are POI, curved flightpath for smoother video. The app also allows geofencing on an area so you don’t wander outside boundaries and so on.
I have use Dronelink, Litchi but settled for this app as it meets my needs very well.
Where dji have allowed with the SDK the waypoints can be fully autonomous flights with the option to “complete the mission” even with signal loss but with the Mavic Air 2 and the mini the waypoint missions are created and flown using “virtual Sticks” which mean the drone has to be in contact with the controller at all times as the actions are generated within the app and sent directly to the drone through the controller to be carried out. In this case if signal is lost then the drone climbs to RTH altitude and returns.
This limitation Is as a result of the dji SDK not the app developer, they chose to do this.
How did you get connected? I can never get past Aircraft Disconnected message. I can’t get Litchi to connect so I tried Maven and can’t get that to connect using iPhone12 connected to remote controller. Both apps know when the controller is connected to the iPhone but neither of them can see the aircraft is connected. And that’s even though Maven shows the picture of the MA2S but when I click on it, it goes to main screen and too shows Aircraft Disconnected.

I too have been using maven. Just added ad waypoint I’m flight. Love this
Set camera point of interest works great

How did you get connected? I can never get past Aircraft Disconnected message. I can’t get Litchi to connect so I tried Maven and can’t get that to connect using iPhone12 connected to remote controller. Both apps know when the controller is connected to the iPhone but neither of them can see the aircraft is connected. And that’s even though Maven shows the picture of the MA2S but when I click on it, it goes to main screen and too shows Aircraft Disconnected.
Maven doesn’t support the A2S yet…

Bought Copterus. It's okay but it's not accurate and several functions don't work at all - at least not with an MA2. Setting a wait/pause point along a path does nothing. Each time you run a mission, the result will be 5-25 feet different. That's fine if you're shooting a mountain but not so much with anything smaller.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to set or adjust waypoints in the air. The three bar menu access disappears as soon as you take off. So, if you're trying to frame something, you have to guess, shoot the pics/vid, land and look at the resulting shots, then try again...then deal with the next try being as much as 25 feet off. If I'm wrong about that, please show me how it's done.

I didn't test but it might work for mapping.

Does software that works with MA2 have the ability to set waypoints like hyperlapse does (just fly to the point, adjust the gimbal and set the point) exist? And I can edit it later.

There is an app that has full support for the MA2, full waypoint support, and it's not in Beta. However it's only on iOS. It's called Mavic Maven and it's about $7, I highly recommend. Hope this helps.
Looks like the Maven developers got hungry, it's showing as $17 USD for me today.. :(

Copterus?
Well I e been trying maven
Almost a year now been flying the same root for almost four seasons just nee the leafs to fully change and will be posting soon.
Have been thew a lot of upgrades that just make this app better and better

Will post vid on completion
A year in the making

Looks like the Maven developers got hungry, it's showing as $17 USD for me today.. :(
Still just a one-time fee, though. I paid for Dronelink over a year ago and never use it since getting Maven. Maven is so much easier to use. It's just more intuitive. I carry my iPad in the field and construct missions on the iPad and then import them to my iPhone. I can make changes in minutes.

Reactions: Mitch76 and RobertR

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman