DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints vs litchi

I think you are missing both the question and the point - or is that deliberate?
I don’t think so. You originally said “Pretty much everyone without a vested in Dronelink thinks Litchi is the better choice“ and @parkgt said that he doesn‘t think that’s the case (I agree with him) and I was simply trying to help work out why Dronelink didn’t work for you. I’m happy that Litchi does what you want but Dronelink is probably the more flexible (if more complex) app.

Last edited:
Reactions: parkgt
you can do this with dji pilot app. plan the mission, save it, once everything is set, then turn on the drone and load the mission.
Have you did this with a Mavic Pro (original version )?

If you are considering Litchi do yourself a favor and check out Dronelink. It is even more versatile, with plenty of Youtube video to get you up to speed. I have both and use DL more often.
I've been flying waypoint missions with Litchi for over a year and I can do pretty much anything you can with Litchi waypoints. I recently looked into Dronelink also but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Litchi has it's limitations but because the mission is loaded into the drone, if you lose connection with the drone, you have the option of finishing the mission, Hovering or RTH.
My tablet looses connection with my controller so I get the frozen screen maybe 1 flight in 50. But the drone finishes the mission and continues to record the video and saves me having to do a rerun of the flight. +1 for Litchi

According to the Dronelink website the the phone/tablet sends step by step commands to the drone so if the communication link is broken the drone will execute the default setting, that is hover, return to home, etc.. but can not continue the mission.
Because all mission calculations are done on the device it gives Dronelink greater flexibility as to what you can do on a single mission. +1 for Dronelink

I will most like have to try Dronelink at some point. Especially if I can get a more reliable link between my device and the controller.

According to the Dronelink website the the phone/tablet sends step by step commands to the drone so if the communication link is broken the drone will execute the default setting, that is hover, return to home, etc.. but can not continue the mission.
But remember that in most countries (without special permission) it’s illegal to continue an autonomous/waypoint mission if you lose contact with the drone so not a disadvantage of using Dronelink.

But remember that in most countries (without special permission) it’s illegal to continue an autonomous/waypoint mission if you lose contact with the drone so not a disadvantage of using Dronelink.
I didn't think about that .

In the screen freezes that I have experienced so far I still have had control of the AC with the controller. It is only the tablet that is unresponsive.

When I fly waypoints I still maintain VLOS and have practiced using sport mode to end the mission early.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
where do you download litchi from and does it cost ?
Should I just google it ?
Fairly ease to install in the SC ?
Do you just run it as an app once in the SC and it recognizes the drone ?

Sorry for the questions, I have not received the drone yet, just prepping..
You can download from their site. Straight forward and easy for those so inclined, not so much for those who don't know how to use internet and Android. And yes it knows what your flying when you connect. Been using it for over 5 years...it is the premier picked program and always has been. The ability to use your computer to program missions alone makes it a winner in my book. It might not be in depth as others, but has all functions it needs for most. Easy to use and works for the majority of people that need a autonomous program to get some great shots. It flies while you control camera and angle, or does it all for you and it gets the job done. With quick field adjustments and it's ability to follow nap of the earth missions, it has a great feature set.

How to put it on SC: DJI Monitors (Smart Controller, CrystalSky, Phantom 4 Screens) - Litchi

Last edited:
Repaid1,

How much time have you spent using Dronelink?

Litchi is the most popular and is easier to get into.
IMO Dronelink is the "premier" program, with abilities that Litchi does not have.

I use both and find the added versatility of DL useful enough to use it more often than Litchi.

Repaid1,

How much time have you spent using Dronelink?

Litchi is the most popular and is easier to get into.
IMO Dronelink is the "premier" program, with abilities that Litchi does not have.

I use both and find the added versatility of DL useful enough to use it more often than Litchi.
I don't care to use dronelink and never have, they did a few weird things to their customers years ago as you recall. I just have been following the threads for 5 years and Litchi is the premire for use, that's what I was referring too. IF you like Drone link fine, I have no use for it. Litchi does all I would need for autonomous flight and apparently I am not the only one that feels that way. Drone link runs all it's systems from the device thus it relies on the devices power, it supersedes the SDK side of things and the power that DJI put into it's high end aircraft. Just watching it do a simple orbit on some videos gives me the Ebbie Jeebies. As I said I'm not knocking it..you like it, fine..I like the Power and versatility and programing on my PC...different strokes for different folks.. No worries or concerns from me mate. ;)

I don't care to use dronelink and never have, they did a few weird things to their customers years ago as you recall. I just have been following the threads for 5 years and Litchi is the premire for use, that's what I was referring too. IF you like Drone link fine, I have no use for it. Litchi does all I would need for autonomous flight and apparently I am not the only one that feels that way. Drone link runs all it's systems from the device thus it relies on the devices power, it supersedes the SDK side of things and the power that DJI put into it's high end aircraft. Just watching it do a simple orbit on some videos gives me the Ebbie Jeebies. As I said I'm not knocking it..you like it, fine..I like the Power and versatility and programing on my PC...different strokes for different folks.. No worries or concerns from me mate. ;)
I do all the programming for Litchi or DL on my PC as well. I am not aware of any feature that supersedes the DJI SDK and in fact is often a limiting factor for getting asked for features that aren't supported by the SDK.

I have not seen any weird behavior during orbits and even tested both programs back to back . Here is one I did some time ago and things are even better now.

None the less it is nice to have choices. Litchi is a great program also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Facherty
Drone link runs all it's systems from the device thus it relies on the devices power, it supersedes the SDK side of things and the power that DJI put into it's high end aircraft.
Dronelink can only do what the SDK allows it to. With drones like the Mini (and probably the MA2 when the SDK is released), the only way Litchi will be able to support waypoints (coming in an future update) is by using the same “virtual stick“ system of sending commands from the app that Dronelink uses.

I have not seen any weird behavior during orbits and even tested both programs back to back . Here is one I did some time ago and things are even better now.https://vimeo.com/350637601
Your Link seems to be dead.
Vimeo. Good Choice.

I like to do normal flying in the Go4 app. I like the screen better but you can fly in Litchi FPV mode just as well. Litchi calls it FPV mode but it is just a non autonomous mode giving you full control with the sticks and also the RTH function. You can fly it either VLOS or FPV but in FPV you need an visual observer with you to be legal.
The Mavic Pro's Way Point mode is very cumbersome you have to fly to each way point and set it. when you have set all your way points you can save them as a mission and fly that mission whenever you want. There is no editing if the mission isn't what you want then you have to start all over again. I have heard that way points on the Mavic 2 is a lot better but honestly don't know how it compares with Litchi.
Litchi can be used to set waypoints and POI's offline on a pc, using the Mission Hub and testing the flight in Google Earth. It is so much easier, mission can be tweaked prior to actual flight.
I have been using Litchi with my MP1 exclusively for last 3yrs. Absolutely great program!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee