DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

weak signal, adjust antenna

Gbower

Reactions
I've been having trouble in a few areas where I get a weak signal and will lose connection. Distance out is only about 1200' with both Air 2 and Mini 2 it has happened. I've had other areas where I get out close to 5000' before this happens and they are saying I should be able to get much more distance. I have lots of satellites and it doesn't matter how I'm pointing the antenna. I've moved it in every possible configuration. Cables are good as I've tried three different ones including the short one that came with the controller. Each drone uses it's own controller and it's happened numerous times with each one. Tonight's flight path is one I've tried a few times with the same result and I'm wondering if there is some kind of interference with a couple of homes in the path. I'm just too confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps you can try ordering one of these range boosters. While they are more directional than your un-booster antennae, they might be able to help you push a stronger signal at your drone. Yagi range extenders

The concept behind the Yagi extenders is that the unaltered antennae broadcast a signal both forward and back behind the controller. The range extenders purport to capture some of that rearward signal and push it forward. I've never done any range comparison tests and I don't even remember if I used range extenders on my two longest flights, 8000' and 10,000'.

Perhaps you can try ordering one of these range boosters. While they are more directional than your un-booster antennae, they might be able to help you push a stronger signal at your drone. Yagi range extenders

The concept behind the Yagi extenders is that the unaltered antennae broadcast a signal both forward and back behind the controller. The range extenders purport to capture some of that rearward signal and push it forward. I've never done any range comparison tests and I don't even remember if I used range extenders on my two longest flights, 8000' and 10,000'.
I don't really think that should be needed as only getting 1200' away and having issues seems to be some kind of interference in the path. I've been able to get out over a mile in some locations.

HI. I live in London and have experienced similar problems but its such a built up area I think its due to so many tall buildings. I wrote my phone number on my mavic air 2 and I'm so glad I did. Incident 1 - gremlins must have taken over my drone and it landed saying battery low instead of returning to home. Two days later I got a call from the Police in Brixton to come and collect it. Whoever handed it in kept the SD card. Incident 2 - Pushed RTH due to the high wind near the river Thames and it landed in a high security 'posh' complex that I couldn't get into. Two days later I got a phone call from the security and the guy handed my drone back.......Phew, lucky or what!!

HI. I live in London and have experienced similar problems but its such a built up area I think its due to so many tall buildings. I wrote my phone number on my mavic air 2 and I'm so glad I did. Incident 1 - gremlins must have taken over my drone and it landed saying battery low instead of returning to home. Two days later I got a call from the Police in Brixton to come and collect it. Whoever handed it in kept the SD card. Incident 2 - Pushed RTH due to the high wind near the river Thames and it landed in a high security 'posh' complex that I couldn't get into. Two days later I got a phone call from the security and the guy handed my drone back.......Phew, lucky or what!!
You have indeed been very lucky twice! If I were you I wouldn't push my luck any further and only fly well away from buildings. Maybe just fly outside London altogether. Stay safe!

Reactions: Pecker
As well as my phone number on my drones I put a text document on the SD card giving contact details & the offer of a reward.

I don't really think that should be needed as only getting 1200' away and having issues seems to be some kind of interference in the path. I've been able to get out over a mile in some locations.
A lot depend on the situation. A few weeks ago I tried flying between hi-rise buildings in downtown Chicago and only a few hundred feet out the interference was so strong my Mavic 2 got kicked into atti mode and it was very tricky to get it back to and landed in the launch area. I did not use any extender, but perhaps that would have helped.

You have indeed been very lucky twice! If I were you I wouldn't push my luck any further and only fly well away from buildings. Maybe just fly outside London altogether. Stay safe!
Totally agree, ignorance of a newbie flyer. Playing it safe from now on. Have a great day! Simon

Reactions: Yogi053
As well as my phone number on my drones I put a text document on the SD card giving contact details & the offer of a reward.
A reward?? Your clearly a secret lottery winner! The drone in question was a present from my girlfriend. Was within hours of buying a replacement and saying nothing!!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
For sure, thank you very much. You stay safe too. Simon

Reactions: Yogi053
In respect to the 1200' and 5000' section of interference, can you drive or walk past these points and try flying from there to see if it is truly interference from those two points?
Just a suggestion.

Thats a fantastic idea - A text document with details on the sd card - I would of never thought of doing that - guess what im doing after I type this ?

Thats a fantastic idea - A text document with details on the sd card - I would of never thought of doing that.
And how many non-drone flyers would think of that if they were to find a drone?
How many would even know there is an SD card hidden inside, or they it might possibly contain a txt document?
If you want a finder to return your drone, make it easy for them and mark the drone conspicuously.

I'm going to leave errr graphic photos of my ex wife on my SD card in future. Anybody that keeps my drone and views that will soon learn their lesson!! :p:p:p:p

• Haha
Reactions: PVilardi and 000
And how many non-drone flyers would think of that if they were to find a drone?
How many would even know there is an SD card hidden inside, or they it might possibly contain a txt document?
If you want a finder to return your drone, make it easy for them and mark the drone conspicuously.
Its not about who would or who wouldnt know or look - its another great way besides the outer information markings to use. I have my info on the drone as you should but - having info on the SD card as well is another way to make sure that more of your info can be found. Again, its a great idea. There doesnt always need to be a negative in everything people say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bchris
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada