DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak Signal Warning at 1886 Feet

nedcook

Reactions
This morning I was flying my MA2 down near the river, which is surrounded by wooded hills. I was at an altitude of 200 feet. Once the drone got 1886 or so feet away from me, DJI Fly started flashing red warnings of low signal, and my video transmission got flaky. I have only had this thing a few weeks and have mostly been flying in the field behind my house, so these warnings unnerved me a bit. I had read somewhere that you should try to point the antennas in the direction of the aircraft and also gain some altitude, but I still got the warnings, so I brought it back closer and everything was fine. 1886 feet is about 1/3 of a mile, which is not very far, when these drones are rated to fly much farther away than that.

I looked at my logs in Airdata, and on the "Signal" section, all the markers are saying 100% calculated signal.

What do I need to do differently when I go back to that same location and try to go farther?

TIA

I can attach the log of the flight if anyone wants to see it (and it's permissible on this forum).

I'm not sure but I think variables such as trees, hills noisy environment, direct facing antennas all this could affect range. I'm guessing. To my way of thinking standing on top of a large hill overlooking a valley say would afford a better reception range.

Airdata info says signal at U was 100%.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on so I can avoid this on future flights. Thanks for the comments so far.
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.20.56 PM.png

Perfectly normal. You couldn't see the drone..the drone couldn't see you...n'est-pas?
It's never happened to me ;)?

I've been having a similar issue. At about 600 meters it starts to flake out and actually a couple times has stopped transmitting video and began auto return to home. Yesterday morning it was actually being a little goofy around 200 meters.

Its probably fine for what I need and will get past line of sight anyway, but when they claim 10km or whatever getting like 5% of that seems kinda odd.

Yeah I don't know.

There are tons of M2 videos going miles over houses, but my MA2 with more advanced Ocusync software cant go farther than 2000 feet from my house?

Maybe I'm not flying high enough? Usually cap out around 250' sometimes 300.

If I have to be at 300' AGL to be a mile away, I won't be able to see what's on the ground. Here in Florida, there isn't much to see at any elevation AGL.

sorta disappointing really

Reactions: mschaffer66
Trees between you and the drone? Foliage attenuates your signal.

Out in the prairie on top of a hill, I flew out 5800 ft. "I think I still see it." Had full strength signal. Sitting under trees, not so far. Remember the spec is "UP TO 10km."

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I hit 6100 feet with mine sitting on top of a hill and flying over open farm land. Still had full signal when I turned it around to come back home.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro