DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird behavior from Mavic

Tommygun45

Reactions
Love my Mavic but its been doing some odd things lately. First off I was in Maine recording me and my friends snowmobiling at night. I put it up to about 200 feet, and had it look straight down at us. I manually focused and then we drove around in circles for about 7 minutes. When I got off and went to check my phone/controller the Mavic had disappeared. It had flown off about 2000 feet in a random direction. Now the weird part is is that it was stable and recorded us perfectly for at least 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, with no changes of the controller, it just started to drift off. When I went to check it out my phone was at 1%. As I tried to begin flying it back towards us the phone died. We scrambled back into the house to get another device, but luckily the Mavic returned to us on its own and landed. Happy ending, but still, the behavior was bizarre. Here is footage of us. I don't have the entire clip with the flyoff and I only used a few seconds of the footage, but this is what the scenario looked like.

(Sorry, FF video to 6:51)

The other weird, maybe not weird thing that happened was yesterday. I was using the drone to take an aerial shot of a house. I lifted off and went above the house. Now granted, it was pretty windy, but nothing crazy. Maybe 15-20 mph gusts. Well the drone was stabilized for a minute above the house, and then started drifting hard. I was trying to fly it straight in a path back towards me but it was still going backwards. I even changed it to sport mode and was going full throttle into the wind, but it kept drifting away. I had to jump back in my car, change its home point to the controller, and take off through a few neighborhoods to track it down. I finally got it under control and was able to land it without incident. Perhaps the wind died down?

The reason I am concerned about this is because I have seen people on you tube videos, like this one, flying the Mavic in high winds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl5-2GpKs_8&t=3s It is very stable. Do I need to calibrate my compass? Shouldn't it be able to hold a fixed position using GPS? Is there a setting for that I am missing? Thanks so much guys!

BTW you can check out that entire video I made, first time movie maker but there is some cool footage of Rangeley, Maine in there.

I'm thinking maybe the winds aloft were way higher than you are thinking they were. That's exactly what would one would expect to happen in high winds. 15-20mph gusts on the ground? Yeah, MUCH higher at 200 feet.

Did you get a lockout on GPS.
I IMU calibrated and reset to default setting and seam to solve it but only have one 2200 meters out as a test

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka