DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird Circles showing up in my Sky? How to fix?

The problem is not an over-exposure one as suggested above, as the eight blobs are evenly spaced and about the same size. I'm guessing the pano is a stitch of 8 images. Dust on an CCD usually creates a much smaller 'blob' and it would be darker, however I suspect the artefact might be due to a residue of some sort on the CCD or a piece of dust on the inner surface (closest the CCD) of the lens. The trouble is that you cannot access either of those surfaces to clean them, maybe a DJI technician can?

The OP has said that the blob only appears in pano images. It also is not visible in the untouched photo in the op. Only when darkening those regions does it appear.

In the third image of the op it appears to me that if this is an 8 wide pano the blob doesn’t appear in in frames 2-5 (from left to right) where the image is properly exposed. It also doesn’t appear in any of the lower frames that are properly exposed.

This was my thinking that it must not be an issue with the sensor. Maybe I’m wrong but it would seem getting a proper exposure still fixes the issue.

Last edited:
There’s another possibility if there is no moisture, fungus or dust on the sensor or on the IR cutout filter, it was a UFO.

I can't explain why it wouldn't appear in the non-pano images. As for it appearing in the over exposed one, it could be explained that in those regions the blobs have an RGB value of say 253 (centre), 254 - 255 penumbra, vs the over-exposed 256. The 253-255 would still look white to the eye. By enhancing the image, the 253 comes down to say 230, the 254 to say 240 and the 255 to 250 giving the three-tone look of the blob. For better exposed parts where the blob would be, a reading of say 150 will reduce to 147 and not really be noticeable. The enhancement is non-linear across the intensity values. If you get my drift! ))

The problem is not an over-exposure one as suggested above, as the eight blobs are evenly spaced and about the same size. I'm guessing the pano is a stitch of 8 images. Dust on an CCD usually creates a much smaller 'blob' and it would be darker, however I suspect the artefact might be due to a residue of some sort on the CCD or a piece of dust on the inner surface (closest the CCD) of the lens. The trouble is that you cannot access either of those surfaces to clean them, maybe a DJI technician can?

Wouldn't that show up on every image then?

This is what DJI Said...

Thank you for the follow-up. We appreciate it.

My apologies if it's just now that I was able to get in touch with you. I just received an update from our higher level of Engineers, they have suggested for you to check the original sheet, if there is no abnormal overexposure, the camera is normal. The synthesized panorama is a complex algorithm because the synthesis algorithm is more complicated, and the parameters of the first original film are locked and the group is merged and spliced. This is the algorithm of the App. At the same time, because the upper part can't shoot, our synthesis algorithm automatically fills the sky, which will cause the upper blur.

I hope that the information provided helps. If there's anything else I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you for choosing DJI products. Have a nice day and take care!
Best Regards,
Mae
DJI Technical support

This is what DJI Said...

Now here’s one thing I was wondering about. You said this only happens in 360 panos but those above images aren’t 360 panos?

The part they are talking about the sky being filled in refers to the upper zenith of a 360 spherical pano because the mavic cannot look directly up at 90 degrees so software has to fill in the sky area zenith. But these photos you are showing us aren’t 360 spherical panos. Maybe that’s why they said that? Did you send those to them?

They mention overexposed areas did you mention overexposed areas or did they say that on their own?

Now here’s one thing I was wondering about. You said this only happens in 360 panos but those above images aren’t 360 panos?

The part they are talking about the sky being filled in refers to the upper zenith of a 360 spherical pano because the mavic cannot look directly up at 90 degrees so software has to fill in the sky area zenith. But these photos you are showing us aren’t 360 spherical panos. Maybe that’s why they said that? Did you send those to them?

They mention overexposed areas did you mention overexposed areas or did they say that on their own?

This is the Mode I used.. It doesn't stitch them into a Sphere (mini planet)? Is it suppose to, b/c I'm been trying to do that, but haven't figured it out yet. I can only do it in Asteroid mode. Which is a Video.

panotab-747x1024.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki