DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird compass behavior

DanyRR

Reactions
San Martín de Valdeiglesias, Madrid. ESPAÑA.
Greetings to all. The new compass gives me a strange behavior. When I point the controller directly at the drone, the signal dot stays blue. For the signal to be correct and to appear green, I have to point the controller to the left of the drone's position. This happens to someone?.
I have tried to calibrate the compass several times and it does the same thing.

Reactions: MavicMike55
Is it possible that you have some sort of magnetic interference nearby? Does it behave like this at other locations?

Iv just experienced this after the latest controller fly app firmware.
tried recal of drone compass and imu makes no difference.

Reactions: Maersk65
Same happened to me I noticed it yesterday and did all calibration RC and Drone with no avail.. every new updates bring new issues, sick if it...also have noticed (I think will put it in a new post) the obstacles avoidance when set to Bypass the speed of the drone go crazy fast for some reason???.

Iv just experienced this after the latest controller fly app firmware.
tried recal of drone compass and imu makes no difference.
Same happened to me I noticed it yesterday and did all calibration RC and Drone with no avail.. every new updates bring new issues, sick if it...also have noticed (I think will put it in a new post) the obstacles avoidance when set to Bypass the speed of the drone go crazy fast for some reason???.
If you are having the same problem as the OP then, as I pointed out in post #3, the problem is with the mobile device, not with the drone, which is why calibrating the drone isn't going to fix it.

If you are having the same problem as the OP then, as I pointed out in post #3, the problem is with the mobile device, not with the drone, which is why calibrating the drone isn't going to fix it.
Which mobile devices??? We are talking about the dji-RC controller... Anyway I'm sure that's what you meant...but I did recalibration of the RC compass with no effects... Been watching Ytube and some mentioned it already it's a bug with the new FW...

Which mobile devices??? We are talking about the dji-RC controller... Anyway I'm sure that's what you meant...but I did recalibration of the RC compass with no effects... Been watching Ytube and some mentioned it already it's a bug with the new FW...
That would be an unusual failure/bug, but obviously not impossible.

I have been looking into this issue, and although I have read much of the thread on compasses, here, and seareched around the net and here, I still don't know how to fix what I see below.

This is an RC controller and Mini 3 Pro, both updated and new. I have a phone in my hand, but the indication error does not change things when I put it someplace else. I have about 7 degrees west variation in my area. I am standing facing True North, and the drone is several yards straight ahead of me, due North from me. (I do not know if the indicated direction of the drone (south of True East) is correct or is also an error.) Using a different set of photos, I measure around 20 degrees error in the RC's indicated heading--if I my measures were valid.

When I go to RC Controller/Camera View/Compass normal/Calibrate, I come to an instruction screen which tells me what i am going to do (two different rotations) and offers a Start Calibration button. When I hit the button it Instantly goes to another screen and says Calibration complete. I never get a chance to move the controller about the two axes.

Anyone have any similar experience when trying to calibrate?
Am I doing something wrong?
What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Mike

RC Controller Heading Error  2022 07 18.jpg
indicated dir

Reactions: MavicMike55
I have been looking into this issue, and although I have read much of the thread on compasses, here, and seareched around the net and here, I still don't know how to fix what I see below.

This is an RC controller and Mini 3 Pro, both updated and new. I have a phone in my hand, but the indication error does not change things when I put it someplace else. I have about 7 degrees west variation in my area. I am standing facing True North, and the drone is several yards straight ahead of me, due North from me. (I do not know if the indicated direction of the drone (south of True East) is correct or is also an error.) Using a different set of photos, I measure around 20 degrees error in the RC's indicated heading--if I my measures were valid.

When I go to RC Controller/Camera View/Compass normal/Calibrate, I come to an instruction screen which tells me what i am going to do (two different rotations) and offers a Start Calibration button. When I hit the button it Instantly goes to another screen and says Calibration complete. I never get a chance to move the controller about the two axes.

Anyone have any similar experience when trying to calibrate?
Am I doing something wrong?
What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 151988
indicated dir
Your are not doing anything wrong... It's happening to most of us after the last RC update of yesterday I think. It's been mentioned on YouTube today as well, guys looking for answers...
I got the same page of calibration complete without touching anything 🤣 I think unless the compass really out of line we can't just calibrate Welly Nelly at anytime, this new to us from what we use to before with other DJI drones.... So keep fingers crossed an update we need soon... Comon DJI

Hello everyone, unfortunately I have noticed this problem in the last few flights, paying attention, in fact, to the position of the rc with respect to the drone. If the drone is in front of me and I point it with the rc, the arrow above the rc is not straight and to make it straight I have to turn the remote control, which is not regular because in practice I no longer point the drone directly. I have latest firmware for both drone and rc and the latest flyapp. I state that the compass problem that was there before the latest rc firmware I no longer have, now I only have this problem of the orientation of the rc with respect to the drone. Ah, if I want to try to calibrate the compass of the rc, the completed calibration immediately comes out without having done anything.

Hello everyone, unfortunately I have noticed this problem in the last few flights, paying attention, in fact, to the position of the rc with respect to the drone. If the drone is in front of me and I point it with the rc, the arrow above the rc is not straight and to make it straight I have to turn the remote control, which is not regular because in practice I no longer point the drone directly. I have latest firmware for both drone and rc and the latest flyapp. I state that the compass problem that was there before the latest rc firmware I no longer have, now I only have this problem of the orientation of the rc with respect to the drone. Ah, if I want to try to calibrate the compass of the rc, the completed calibration immediately comes out without having done anything.
I agree that with two different controllers I see this—all the time on one and less on the other.

I may be imagining it, but it seems like booting the M3P with the controller a few feet away from drone and the drone unobstructed, the issue is less likely to occur. I oboe I can land, reboot both pieces, and often get better results. Sometimes the controller indicates we are pointing same direction, but that I am laterally displaced and parallel—displaced to the side of the drone, when I am directly behind it.

Regardless, I have so far found the most recent updates to be vastly more useful, despite residual defects in performance.

Happened to me with the Air 2S. I think it's the latest firmware update, the one with the Japanese requirements. I upgraded the firmware AGAIN using the DJI Assistant and the problem went away for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2