DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What advantages and what is the market for this?

45er

Reactions
About six weeks ago I lost my Mavic Pro Platinum in a collision with a high wire (a real high wire - 125+ feet). My grandson was flying but I was right over his shoulder. It was my fault. Anyway, when I found out DJI would not sell me just a drone (didn't even need a battery), I went to the market. I bought a brand new Platinum but the seller was a much more accomplished and sophisticated flyer than myself and the drone came with a customized controller (he was clear in his description of this, so I'm not blaming him). Here are some technical details:

Mavic Pro remote controller converted by replacing original antennas with QMA connectors for use with an Alientech Pro 2.4G amplified antenna or Alientech Duo. Can use other 2.4ghz antennas with the use of QMA adapters for SMA or RP-SMA connections. This controller also has SilencioRC custom firmware (paid version) to silence the annoying beeping on start-up, shut-down, return to home and button presses.

Now, other than extending the drone's range (which I'm not interested in doing), are there any other reasons that I should use this unit instead of my "stock" controller? The seller told me it would cost another $125 or so to buy the Alientech antenna. Is it worth it? I'm thinking not since I'm not getting much activity trying to sell it. If it really is so much better, maybe I'll just suck it up and try to learn it's capabilities and use it!

Reactions: Smokieflies
A "Signal Booster" can help in more than just "Long Distance" flying. We use them often to help punch more signal through the tree canopy here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. They can also help in areas with heavy WiFi signals. It really depends on HOW you use your system. I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition.

A "Signal Booster" can help in more than just "Long Distance" flying. We use them often to help punch more signal through the tree canopy here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. They can also help in areas with heavy WiFi signals. It really depends on HOW you use your system. I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition.
So if I'm surrounded by trees and want a better "signal" to take pictures, this controller would let me do that where a stock controller won't.

Also, what about warranty? If I were to have an accident with the drone that has been modified with these boosters, will DJI reject my insurance claim?

Reactions: Smokieflies
So if I'm surrounded by trees and want a better "signal" to take pictures, this controller would let me do that where a stock controller won't.

Also, what about warranty? If I were to have an accident with the drone that has been modified with these boosters, will DJI reject my insurance claim?

It's more about keeping control / signal to the drone from controller and vice versa.

I think DJI would not like a modded controller, if you had refresh or warranty claim, pretty sure they could tell if wasn't stock, but maybe others know for sure.

Reactions: BigAl07

It could/should help. We use "boosted" (or we did before OcuSync from DJI) to help get better signal in the woods for Search & Rescue.

I'm not familiar with that specific system so anything I say is just a "hunch" at best.

If you have a warranty claim and the system has been modified they "could" deny the warranty but nothing is guaranteed one way or the other.

Reactions: dsrepairs
...Now, other than extending the drone's range (which I'm not interested in doing), are there any other reasons that I should use this unit instead of my "stock" controller? The seller told me it would cost another $125 or so to buy the Alientech antenna. Is it worth it? I'm thinking not since I'm not getting much activity trying to sell it. If it really is so much better, maybe I'll just suck it up and try to learn it's capabilities and use it!
Use your stock RC. If you experience signal loss when you can still see the MPP then try the boosted RC. A stock RC is more than capable of sending the MPP way past visual range.
...Also, what about warranty? If I were to have an accident with the drone that has been modified with these boosters, will DJI reject my insurance claim?
You ask about warranty and an insurance claim. The warranty covers manufacturing defects and insurance covers pilot error. As for warranty, you need to see if it is in effect. I do not know whether it is transferable or not (I could not find information on the DJI site). Technically, the MPP is not modified; the RC is. Someone with log experience may correct me but I wouldn't think a stronger or modified signal will appear in the logs so how will DJI know? If you are asking about insurance, have Care Refresh, and use the Express option they will not even look at the logs. They will ship a replacement when they receive the wreck.

If you have no insurance you will either need to make a video per DJI requirements (which includes the RC) to show it works to get Care Refresh or see if you can get a rider on your personal insurance. State Farm has been used in the US for a separate policy.

Use your stock RC. If you experience signal loss when you can still see the MPP then try the boosted RC. A stock RC is more than capable of sending the MPP way past visual range.

You ask about warranty and an insurance claim. The warranty covers manufacturing defects and insurance covers pilot error. As for warranty, you need to see if it is in effect. I do not know whether it is transferable or not (I could not find information on the DJI site). Technically, the MPP is not modified; the RC is. Someone with log experience may correct me but I wouldn't think a stronger or modified signal will appear in the logs so how will DJI know? If you are asking about insurance, have Care Refresh, and use the Express option they will not even look at the logs. They will ship a replacement when they receive the wreck.

If you have no insurance you will either need to make a video per DJI requirements (which includes the RC) to show it works to get Care Refresh or see if you can get a rider on your personal insurance. State Farm has been used in the US for a separate policy.
Thank you for this thoughtful reply. Actually, the gentleman who sold me the drone activated it in my name and I got in "under the wire" (ie., within 48 hours) and it is now insured. I've flown it with my existing stock controller and it flies great! My concern is that if I were to spend another $125 and buy the specialized antennae for which this modified controller was designed, flew it 5 miles away and lost it, would DJI insurance cover that since the controller (not the drone) was not OEM?

...My concern is that if I were to spend another $125 and buy the specialized antennae for which this modified controller was designed, flew it 5 miles away and lost it, would DJI insurance cover that since the controller (not the drone) was not OEM?
You need the wreck for Care Refresh to replace or repair. If it is lost you are SOL. Your only hope then is a manufacturing defect apparent in the logs that caused the loss. I don't know but doubt if a modded RC would show anything different in the logs than a stock RC

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH