DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what best iphone for mavic 2?

hybr1da

Reactions
halo, im using samsung s8 and get some trouble with dji app (dji go freeze/stuck, hang, aircraft disconnect, etc), all off firmware has up to date, and all way i have tried but still the trouble sometimes up again,. and when i try with ipad 2018. its works perfectly without any problem about "the android issues". why?? what the problem with android and DJI??
and now i want to change my phone to IOS, which one best iphone for me and my mavic 2 pro? and i hope can work perfectly with other DJI device (pocket, osmo, mavic air 2 maybe,).

please answer with your experience :)
thank you all

Do you plan to use your new iPhone just for flying or do you want to use it also in your daily life?

Why I ask:
If you just want to use it for flying, maybe you get an older one with less memory but bigger screen size. Maybe an iPhone 7 Plus? You have the benefit of a bigger, more readable screen in your remote control but a cheaper price. Maybe you could get a refurbished or used one in that case also.

If you want it to use in daily life also, I would recommend visiting a phone store and compare the various iPhones according to size, memory, speed etc. The iOS, running on the latest iPhones / iPads is the same and will be upgradeable to the newest version for some time.

But the DJI go4 App doesn’t require the latest iOS and therefore you will be even safer for the future use.

halo, im using samsung s8 and get some trouble with dji app (dji go freeze/stuck, hang, aircraft disconnect, etc), all off firmware has up to date, and all way i have tried but still the trouble sometimes up again,. and when i try with ipad 2018. its works perfectly without any problem about "the android issues". why?? what the problem with android and DJI??
and now i want to change my phone to IOS, which one best iphone for me and my mavic 2 pro? and i hope can work perfectly with other DJI device (pocket, osmo, mavic air 2 maybe,).

thank you all
If you're just going to use it for the drone why not grab an ipad mini?
Bigger screen, cheaper price.

Reactions: Flying eye
XS MAX fits the holder perfectly and works flawlessly. The screen is beautiful. It is the best, no question.

XS MAX fits the holder perfectly and works flawlessly. The screen is beautiful. It is the best, no question.

All of the newer iPhones fit in the holder and work perfectly.
My 6 plus and 7plus handled go4 with no issue.
I love my XS max but I think an 8plus would actually be more ideal for the drone because the slide up that replaced the home button and is actually hard to reach when it’s in the controller, XS max is also an incredibly pricey phone.

Unless you’re already on the brink of buying an XS max, it is absolutely not worth the extra price over the 7plus - especially if the primary use is a screen for flying.

I got the XS max as an upgrade from the 7plus and paid only $400 for it - and even at that price the improvements were lackluster - as far as improvement for drone use, there were zero added benefits or features and the oled on the xs max is way harder to see in the sunlight than the retina display

All of the newer iPhones fit in the holder and work perfectly.
My 6 plus and 7plus handled go4 with no issue.
I love my XS max but I think an 8plus would actually be more ideal for the drone because the slide up that replaced the home button and is actually hard to reach when it’s in the controller, XS max is also an incredibly pricey phone.

Unless you’re already on the brink of buying an XS max, it is absolutely not worth the extra price over the 7plus - especially if the primary use is a screen for flying.

I got the XS max as an upgrade from the 7plus and paid only $400 for it - and even at that price the improvements were lackluster - as far as improvement for drone use, there were zero added benefits or features and the oled on the xs max is way harder to see in the sunlight than the retina display
The OLED is a Retina display....

The OP asked for best- not best value. If he asked for best price/performance candidates the 6 plus might be even better.

I agree 100% the 7plus works very well. Any improvement with the XS NAX isn’t worth the investment just as a display device for flying.

Last edited:
The OLED is a Retina display....

The OP asked for best- not best value. If he asked for best price/performance candidates the 6 plus might be even better.

I agree 100% the 7plus works very well. Any improvement with the XS NAX isn’t worth the investment just as a display device for flying.

If you want to be pedantic, sure oled is a “super retina” but for the sake of conversation let’s just call the new oled just that and the retina displays found in apple devices for the last 5 years retina for simplicity sake. Oled is different tech, it isn’t great in sunlight.
And if we’re talking about best, xs max isn’t the best for flying a drone- at all.
There are many devices with bigger, less reflective screens and easily accessible menus + unlocking that are just as capable as the xs max.

My xs max times out and locks if I spend a short time fiddling with the drone because I’m not “looking” at it. Then it’s a pain to unlock because I can’t slide up because the controller is in the way. I also can’t put airplane mode on because of the pull down from top menu being blocked by the controller and the screen is hard to see in the sun. This phone wouldn’t be on my top 10 list of my primary use was for flying my drone.

If you want to be pedantic, sure oled is a “super retina” but for the sake of conversation let’s just call the new oled just that and the retina displays found in apple devices for the last 5 years retina for simplicity sake. Oled is different tech, it isn’t great in sunlight.
And if we’re talking about best, xs max isn’t the best for flying a drone- at all.
There are many devices with bigger, less reflective screens and easily accessible menus + unlocking that are just as capable as the xs max.

My xs max times out and locks if I spend a short time fiddling with the drone because I’m not “looking” at it. Then it’s a pain to unlock because I can’t slide up because the controller is in the way. I also can’t put airplane mode on because of the pull down from top menu being blocked by the controller and the screen is hard to see in the sun. This phone wouldn’t be on my top 10 list of my primary use was for flying my drone.
Ok- to keep it simple we would say we are comparing AMOLED to In Plane Switching (IPS) LCD.

For practical purposes both the 8 Plus and XS MAX are 625cd/m2 brightness. I haven't compared them side by side but my recollection from using both is that they perform equally well outdoors. I might be wrong on that given Im not flying in direct sunlight.

As to the screens the XS max is almost 20% larger across the diagonal with 2688 by 1242 resolution, significantly more pixels than the 8 Plus (1920 by 1080). The contrast ratio is also significantly better on the XS MAX.

I haven't had the issues you are with the swiping- it might be case dependant.

As I said earlier- anything from the 6 Plus on will work fine with the current GO4 app- I agree the XS MAX probably isn't worth the outlay if its used only for flying but there is no question the screen is significantly better than anything apple offered previously.

Ok- to keep it simple we would say we are comparing AMOLED to In Plane Switching (IPS) LCD.

For practical purposes both the 8 Plus and XS MAX are 625cd/m2 brightness. I haven't compared them side by side but my recollection from using both is that they perform equally well outdoors. I might be wrong on that given Im not flying in direct sunlight.

As to the screens the XS max is almost 20% larger across the diagonal with 2688 by 1242 resolution, significantly more pixels than the 8 Plus (1920 by 1080). The contrast ratio is also significantly better on the XS MAX.

I haven't had the issues you are with the swiping- it might be case dependant.

As I said earlier- anything from the 6 Plus on will work fine with the current GO4 app- I agree the XS MAX probably isn't worth the outlay if its used only for flying but there is no question the screen is significantly better than anything apple offered previously.
No one is arguing that the display isn’t the best yet, but go4 on a cell phone isn’t exactly emersive enough to demand such a high end display. I guess I’m too worried about flying and not crashing into anything to realize how inadequate the screen resolution of my live feed was on my previous phones.

No one is arguing that the display isn’t the best yet, but go4 on a cell phone isn’t exactly emersive enough to demand such a high end display. I guess I’m too worried about flying and not crashing into anything to realize how inadequate the screen resolution of my live feed was on my previous phones.
I have been with you from the start- the 6 plus fits the bill for flying (with the current GO4 app).

I have been use the iphone XR. i have to admit being an avid android user i got the XR for a xmass bonus and i really do love the phone for flying it's just works so smooth..

I would change your cable if your having problems with Your Galaxy S8. I have the GS8plus and it works Great . Uninstall and reinstall the go 4 app and use a different cable. Always best to use the large USB on the bottom of the controller vrs the side port.

thank you all
This thread is interesting. Today I made my first flight with my new Mavic Air using my iPhone 8 on the controller. It was a bright day but not all that sunny and I couldn't make out anything on the screen. After I saw I didn't have brightness all the way up for the screen, but even on high, I still can't make out the details on the screen. My iPad 9.7 seems a little better, but only because the screen is larger. For me, I wish the DJI Go 4 app had a white background instead of black. Anyone else have this problem?

This thread is interesting. Today I made my first flight with my new Mavic Air using my iPhone 8 on the controller. It was a bright day but not all that sunny and I couldn't make out anything on the screen. After I saw I didn't have brightness all the way up for the screen, but even on high, I still can't make out the details on the screen. My iPad 9.7 seems a little better, but only because the screen is larger. For me, I wish the DJI Go 4 app had a white background instead of black. Anyone else have this problem?

I used the 7plus and the XS max, the 7plus was a bit better than the XS but even with the DJI sun shield neither are particularly great. I plan my flights accordingly and make sure I have some shade to hide in so I can properly see my screen.

There is a simple solution though:
s-l300.jpg

I thought about getting a hood but with Canada's LOS rules - It would technically to be illegal to use without a spotter.

I used the 7plus and the XS max, the 7plus was a bit better than the XS but even with the DJI sun shield neither are particularly great. I plan my flights accordingly and make sure I have some shade to hide in so I can properly see my screen.

There is a simple solution though:
s-l300.jpg

I thought about getting a hood but with Canada's LOS rules - It would technically to be illegal to use without a spotter.
Thanks. I agree it might be best to find shade or at least be more familiar with layout of screen. For now I will avoid bright sunny days until I get more flying experience. There was a chart on the forum today where people rate the different devices and the iPad mini 4 had most likes and the iPad 9.7 2018 (which I have) came in second. I did buy an extender so I can mount the iPad on the controller. Will try that soon.

The XX max sucks! Dji offers NO solution to have the live video make use of the entire screen! So what good is the extra real estate?????

Thanks. I agree it might be best to find shade or at least be more familiar with layout of screen. For now I will avoid bright sunny days until I get more flying experience. There was a chart on the forum today where people rate the different devices and the iPad mini 4 had most likes and the iPad 9.7 2018 (which I have) came in second. I did buy an extender so I can mount the iPad on the controller. Will try that soon.
I am a complete beginner, but we were using our bodies to create shade over the controller. That sort of worked. I am currently using my Google Pixel XL phone, but considering getting the Ipad 2018 or Ipad pro from last year. Let me know how you like it! I assume you have the LTE version for GPS capabilities?

Do you plan to use your new iPhone just for flying or do you want to use it also in your daily life?

Why I ask:
If you just want to use it for flying, maybe you get an older one with less memory but bigger screen size. Maybe an iPhone 7 Plus? You have the benefit of a bigger, more readable screen in your remote control but a cheaper price. Maybe you could get a refurbished or used one in that case also.

If you want it to use in daily life also, I would recommend visiting a phone store and compare the various iPhones according to size, memory, speed etc. The iOS, running on the latest iPhones / iPads is the same and will be upgradeable to the newest version for some time.

But the DJI go4 App doesn’t require the latest iOS and therefore you will be even safer for the future use.

I replaced my 6s+ with a X model iPhone, and canceled its service. I also had its battery replaced with a new one when Apple had the special replacement offer. I love using the 6s+ for running DJI go 4 and Lichi, it has a larger screen than most iPhones, can run the latest OS, and fits well in the controller handles. You can find them used for a good price, even for less than an iPad. I also like the fact that even though its cellular service has been cancelled, I can still use it as a backup phone for calling 911 if needed. If you do buy a used phone, be sure to get one with a new battery!

Reactions: calmar81
I am a complete beginner, but we were using our bodies to create shade over the controller. That sort of worked. I am currently using my Google Pixel XL phone, but considering getting the Ipad 2018 or Ipad pro from last year. Let me know how you like it! I assume you have the LTE version for GPS capabilities?
To be honest, I am still struggling with seeing the screen in bight sunlight, even in the shade. I did buy a shade for the phone and it helped, and now I just ordered the shade for my iPad 9.7. My iPad is WIFI only but when connected to my controller and Mavix Air, I get a GPS signal. Not sure what an iPad LTE version is. My iPad is the 2018 version. PS.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074795G2M/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When I try the new shade I will report back on my results. Meanwhile since I am still a newbie, I will stay away from bright sunny mid afternoon days in Florida.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato