DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What exactly do you use your drone for even besides photography?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I think I should start first
Yes
I use my drone for photography just like literally everyone on this fourm
But I also use it for many other things

I am a shy person
When it comes to socializing and making friends I have my drone do it for me

I dont do it myself because like most people my age I get bullied
I figured
I can't just walk around asking people to be my friend
That's akward
Plus I have asthma
And autism
I will have to ask anyway
So why not do it in a way others would think it is cool?
I wait until there are people my age outside and I fly my mavic there
Then I get their attention by either rocking the drone or kicking in sport mode and buzzing them

Then I would lead them to me
Of course I don't do it near my house that's danger

However, it sometimes backfires
They sometimes throw things at it and put middle fingers at it for me to see on DJI go 4

For me it scared me abit
For me it makes me think they wanna beat me up
So I fly it back as fast as I can pack my stuff and run

Other times
I just fly around watching the vehicles swim by in the roads
It's satisfyingly great
Especially at night at 400ft

All of these things is why I would do anything to keep my mavic working
It's the first drone I ever had of it's kind and it's the first I ever had that enables me to do things I couldn't do when it comes to friends
I would never give it up even if to trade for a mavic 220220609_111551_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mainly for research, search for Native American villages along rocky mountain terrain. Mortar holes used to pound acorns, and other food sources. Search for pictographs on rock walls, rock caves etc. Occasionally, will find a location near sources of water, Rocky terrian.

With permission from land owners, allowed to drive up to base of mountain/hill and fly searching for these long ago lost villages. Very exciting, seeing several mortar holes, sometimes pictographs during a search. To date, have located seven villages using a drone.

The other day, my wife asked me to check the gutters to see if birds were still making nests. She thought she saw birds trying to do even though we had just had gutter guards installed the week before. Much to my chagrin the Mavic Pro2 showed the $900 installation missing a 30' strip of gutter guard. This was quite disconcerting as we have had good faith in our contractor over the years. Calling him he had no excuse and would only say he would come and take care of the problem which he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: rx7ward
They are great out in the deserts for scouting out old tracks, for example old ‘shot lines’ from early oil exploration days, ‘50s / ‘60s era.
On the ground you can see nothing, from the air old tracks can stand out quite well.
They’d are also handy to scout around obstacles like wet clay pans between dunes in the wet season.

Interstate visiting a brother recently, I checked where rain floodwater was coming onto his property from a block next door, some minor earthworks near a dam had diverted it.
From the air we could see where it was flowing from and a simple bobcat trench would rectify the issue.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Hi Kywon, the only thing I do with my drone is scout deer out in the country where I live. I have 16 acres and have permission on most of the surrounding landowners to hunt. I don't use it for photography at all really, just locate and watch deer patterns where they travel at different times of the year. Kinda spendy I know but I love watching them from above, they don't even know I'm there lol.

Enjoy my friend!

Reactions: rx7ward
When not trying to capture the perfect photo or video clips and time-lapse, I enjoy programming waypoint missions. There are lots of 3rd party apps that allow for this (Litchi, Drone Harmony, Maven). I once combined an autonomous mission to nearby friends house and used a drop box attached to the bottom of my P4P to make a house to house delivery. Just love any tech that can be programmed ahead - and find ways to get creative with it.

Reactions: KurtpH and rx7ward
When not trying to capture the perfect photo or video clips and time-lapse, I enjoy programming waypoint missions. There are lots of 3rd party apps that allow for this (Litchi, Drone Harmony, Maven). I once combined an autonomous mission to nearby friends house and used a drop box attached to the bottom of my P4P to make a house to house delivery. Just love any tech that can be programmed ahead - and find ways to get creative with it.

Heckmaniac, I want to know answers. Prior to TRUST I was having a lot more fun with my drones. Now I am TRUST certified, and I police myself the worst. Does having a Litchi app take away the need for VLOS? I am not trying to be policing here, just asking. Obviously Amazon being interested in making deliveries with drones is NOT going to keep them within VLOS. I feel like the fun is pretty much gone.
Kywon, I think that many people would misinterpret flying a drone close to them and rocking it back and forth near them. While it is a crime to knock them out of the sky, people don't usually know that. And I really think that joining a club would be a great idea.

Heckmaniac, I want to know answers. Prior to TRUST I was having a lot more fun with my drones. Now I am TRUST certified, and I police myself the worst. Does having a Litchi app take away the need for VLOS? I am not trying to be policing here, just asking. Obviously Amazon being interested in making deliveries with drones is NOT going to keep them within VLOS. I feel like the fun is pretty much gone.
Kywon, I think that many people would misinterpret flying a drone close to them and rocking it back and forth near them. While it is a crime to knock them out of the sky, people don't usually know that. And I really think that joining a club would be a great idea.
Legally speaking using apps for waypoint missions such as Litchi, Drone Harmony, Maven and the like does not take away the need fly within VLOS. Does it happen, yes, all the time, but to be legal, must be within VLOS.

I am 67 years old and fly it for fun. Took a few pictures but haven’t downloaded or viewed them. I love flying around the trees in my yard and down the side of the road and the local fields. I flew RC airplanes and the quads are much easier with gps and rth. '

Reactions: okw
They are great out in the deserts for scouting out old tracks, for example old ‘shot lines’ from early oil exploration days, ‘50s / ‘60s era.
On the ground you can see nothing, from the air old tracks can stand out quite well.
They’d are also handy to scout around obstacles like wet clay pans between dunes in the wet season.

Interstate visiting a brother recently, I checked where rain floodwater was coming onto his property from a block next door, some minor earthworks near a dam had diverted it.
From the air we could see where it was flowing from and a simple bobcat trench would rectify the issue.
Agreed, great for scouting ahead if you lose the track you’re trying to follow without getting stuck where you don’t want to be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa