DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What handles what? RC vs. AC vs. App

ValueTactics

Reactions
My first drone, an MPP is in the mail. I've devoured the manual multiple times, many many hours of youtube, and read through many many forum threads here and elsewhere. Of all the detailed specs and info I have found, no one has laid out, in simple terms, what aspects of the Mavic system are handled by the Firmware, the RC firmware, and the app (be it DJI GO, Litchi, or other).

Can anyone point me toward a thorough explanation of this? Here's my current understanding:

Aircraft firmware:
  • everything related to base level flight controls
  • automatic positioning
  • pilot control translation
  • RTH memory
  • base level gimbal controls
  • camera settings (though they are set from within the app)
  • everything related to image encoding, processing, and compression (I've read about color changes after FW updates, and it makes sense to house this programming on the aircraft since that's where the processing takes place)
  • Other stuff?
Controller firmware:
  • user flight controls
  • basic user-fed commands for camera and gimbal
  • Checks for FW versions on RC and AC? (Or are the AC and RC "blind" without connecting to a phone and the app?)
  • Glass ceiling limiter
Phone app:
  • NFZ location checks?
  • NFZ database?
  • DJI account login check?
  • Intelligent flight modes (I'm guessing the phone sends translated commands to the RC which transmits base level commands to the AC.)
  • Camera and RC settings (do settings persist once the phone is removed and you're flying directly with the RC? Or if you change settings and remove phone will the RC revert to stock?)
  • Real time camera command sending
For some context to why I care: I don't like being reliant on an internet connection for anything. I typically look for offline solutions to any task I can. If I want to travel the globe for months and fly my MPP, I want to be able to do so without checking in with DJI, letting them know where I am, letting them control my drone via local restrictions, etc. Aside from that, I'm just curious to find out exactly how all this amazing tech works!

Reactions: CUTiger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13