DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What I did to prevent flyaways / locate mini

Your right, I was referring to not being able to get enough satellites due to a poor location, by doing a manual home point set, it just reassures you that you have a good lock.
I'd think that trying to manually set a home point if GPS was sketchy, might introduce more risk.

Reactions: old man mavic
if it is taking a longer time than normal to obtain a good sat lock, check your surroundings and perhaps move your take off point or location and try again,as @Meta4 said trying the manual home point will not make things any better

As has been said setting home point at start is not needed as you shouldn't be setting off without it being set for you anyway. A visual check and directional check on your monitor device is sensible. Changing home point mid flight may of course be relevant if you change your location significantly from initial launch. Simply depends on circumstances.

3. When I had trouble with the direction it was facing I did the same thing. Pause, take a deep breath and then find the mini.

Familiarize yourself with the ? shown on the radar. This will tell you the drone direction of flight in relation to the home point.

Reactions: lannes
@caplanner its nice to see someone new taking note of whats being said on the forum ,it makes a real change ,from my drone flew away and DJI says its pilot error and then moaning about it, when people on here give advice ,its to help others and to prevent issues from spoiling their new hobby you are a great example happy flying
You are right. This forum Is a wealth of information.

I’m a brand new mini and drone owner. Took the mini to Kings River yesterday after a few flights at the park near my home.
Thought I would share my experience and how I prepared:

1. Read the mini forums on this site and check out the YouTube videos. I learned a lot through other’s experience and feedback on mistakes.
2. I set my max height and distance rather low for the first few flights.
3. When I briefly lose site of the mini, I stop flying a hover in place. If I have trouble finding it I look at the area and either lower or raise altitude to locate mini. That helped.
3. When I had trouble with the direction it was facing I did the same thing. Pause, take a deep breath and then find the mini.
4. I did not use RTH unless I wanted to use it to orient drone towards home point. Then I would cancel RTH. It’s easy to land the mini so don’t take a chance on not having an accurate home point or having the drone rise or lower itself into wind or an obstacle.
5. Maybe this should have been first, don’t take off until you have gps and home point.
6. I have made a habit of recentering gimbal, IMU and compass before flying.
7. I see posts about flying too low over water so I keep the mini at least 20 feet above water.

looking at my list, I guess what I’m really doing is avoiding risk but doing it in a way that lets me still enjoy the experience of flying a drone.

Good info! When you lose sight of your drone, I would add enlarging the map and using the drone icon to orient toward home. It’s worthwhile to practice flying by the map and using the distance and altitude measurements to get home or at least back into sight. Relying on RTH can become a crutch.

Reactions: JSM
Thanks for the post. I never touch my compass or IMU unless asked to by the App. But always always check the GPS location on the map at a hover after lift off. I maximise the map the minimisenit again to fly.

3. is wise. I often point the camera down at 45 degrees and do a complete turn to check for odd trees power lines etc. Pan up to the highest close point and check whether ground level has risen and I need to increase max altitude And increase return to home height too.
Re the second 3, I fly with the map in the left bottom corner. The track shows where you are Pointing and heading instantly.

My only suggestion is don’t set you height low to start with, Point 2. max height should always allow good headroom over anything in the area. If you feel nervous, climb first. then take a look around. like all flying altitude is safety.
Many crashes in these forums Have been people flying behind a ridge or object and then the drone crashes into it as the max height is too low. Remember the height is above the home point not drones position so you need to increase the number if the ground rises.
Welcome and enjoy!
P

Save your dental floss. After 10 rolls, you have 500 m, max vls.
Attach it to the mavic, and fly.
If it starts getting tight, you are flying away from you.
If it stays loose, you are in the zone.
Best of all, if you crash, just follow the floss to find your drone.
No thanks necessary, my pleasure.

• Haha
Reactions: scro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki