DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if question...

Reactions
Gentlemen, I was unable to find a clear answer to this question, especially in light of the last few rounds of FW updates. What people said in 2016 does not necessarily apply to us at the end of 2017.

As we all know, we now have to be logged into our DJI Go account in order to fly. This can be done either before we actually leave the house since we stay logged in even if we have no web access where we are going to fly as long as we keep the app open or alternatively, if we have a data plan on our cell we can just use that. It's a major pain in the neck, particularly when out and about in a foreign country or some kind of remote area but at least in theory it's kind of doable nevertheless.
Now, imagine all web and cell phone services are down and there is no access to DJI servers whatsoever. Thinking about it, we might as well just assume DJI is no more for whatever reason. Anyway, let's call it a SHTF scenario. I'm aware that in a situation like this flying our drone might or should not be our first concern, I get that, but let's say we still have some kind of power source to keep it charged at least for some time and it's not about playing around but rather for potentially life saving surveillance.

Based on the information I currently have it's fair to assume in such situation our drone is turning into an unusable piece of junk. Despite having the potential of being used as a survival tool it just won't be able to fly. Is this assumption correct?

Gentlemen, I was unable to find a clear answer to this question, especially in light of the last few rounds of FW updates. What people said in 2016 does not necessarily apply to us at the end of 2017.

As we all know, we now have to be logged into our DJI Go account in order to fly. This can be done either before we actually leave the house since we stay logged in even if we have no web access where we are going to fly as long as we keep the app open or alternatively, if we have a data plan on our cell we can just use that. It's a major pain in the neck, particularly when out and about in a foreign country or some kind of remote area but at least in theory it's kind of doable nevertheless.
Now, imagine all web and cell phone services are down and there is no access to DJI servers whatsoever. Thinking about it, we might as well just assume DJI is no more for whatever reason. Anyway, let's call it a SHTF scenario. I'm aware that in a situation like this flying our drone might or should not be our first concern, I get that, but let's say we still have some kind of power source to keep it charged at least for some time and it's not about playing around but rather for potentially life saving surveillance.

Based on the information I currently have it's fair to assume in such situation our drone is turning into an unusable piece of junk. Despite having the potential of being used as a survival tool it just won't be able to fly. Is this assumption correct?
Hmmm.. a very unique question, presumably if you are still logged in when the grid goes down you could still use it, worst case scenario you could tape it to the end of a stick and bludgeon people with it.

Hmmm.. a very unique question, presumably if you are still logged in when the grid goes down you could still use it, worst case scenario you could tape it to the end of a stick and bludgeon people with it.

LOL! But you made an interesting point with being logged in before the grid goes down. Theoretically the app should then keep you logged in, at least for as long as the app is running on your device.

I mean, thinking of just the DJI servers being down for an extended period of time is probably not even that far fetched nowadays. If they are down our expensive drone turns into a fancy looking paperweight, with or without disaster. Same with a cell phone? Not quite. You could still use its basic onboard functions. How about your cable tv box? Sure, that would be dead and unusable...but you don't own it, you are renting it. I have yet to find another product on the market that can be completely deactivated by the manufacturer while it is legally owned by its user. Very odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
LOL! But you made an interesting point with being logged in before the grid goes down. Theoretically the app should then keep you logged in, at least for as long as the app is running on your device.

I mean, thinking of just the DJI servers being down for an extended period of time is probably not even that far fetched nowadays. If they are down our expensive drone turns into a fancy looking paperweight, with or without disaster. Same with a cell phone? Not quite. You could still use its basic onboard functions. How about your cable tv box? Sure, that would be dead and unusable...but you don't own it, you are renting it. I have yet to find another product on the market that can be completely deactivated by the manufacturer while it is legally owned by its user. Very odd.
You make an excellent point, something to think about.

Your fine as log as you don't ever "log out". (You can close the APP that is not an issue.)

You do have me thinking now about "what if" my phone needs a "power cycle" to fix something while I'm off grid. (I think we are still "ok" as I have power cycled it and even had droid updates and did not need to log back into the APP)

You can avoid this whole scenario possibility if you rollback your firmware. Then it doesn't matter if you're signed in, not signed in, or anything. As long as the GPS satellites are still in orbit and you still have battery power for your MP and devices, you're good to go!

You can avoid this whole scenario possibility if you rollback your firmware.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I thought they now force you into using the latest FW no matter what by downing the drone until you have upgraded. A dreaded situation when you are out and about in the wilderness since you never know when they are coming up with an update! It seemed to me that it will not let you start until you have updated the FW. Is there a workaround? Also, if there is I guess you still have to deal with possible glitches but that's probably the price for going rogue.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that it will not let you start until you have updated the FW. Is there a workaround?

Yes. If you're on .700 firmware or before, you simply close the popup window notifying you to upgrade the firmware and fly. ;)

In other words, no need for a workaround. Sticking with .700 or lower firmware is the workaround. (for anything other than the Spark)

Sticking with .700 or lower firmware is the workaround. (for anything other than the Spark)

Ok thanks, I know what I have to do now. Unfortunately, I really can't remember how bad the glitches used to be in .700 but I'm sure they weren't too annoying. Are you running .700?

Ok thanks, I know what I have to do now. Unfortunately, I really can't remember how bad the glitches used to be in .700 but I'm sure they weren't too annoying. Are you running .700?

Yes (and one with .400). Lots of people are still on .700. For us, it's a very stable release. As long as you don't need/want the new Quickshot modes on DJI Go, then it seems to be the one many people stick with.

Ideally you
Ideally you'd hope that you could still fly it to keep track of the zombie hordes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser