DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if you takeoff your drone at a very high building and suddenly move out from the building?

I have experience flying my MP2 close to the ground, lets say 40-60 ft, over large holes, ditches, hills, that the setting on my drones did adjust on my display.
This is most likely to be due to a change in air pressure over the change in ground terrain. If the air is warmer above the ground than it is above the 'large hole' anomaly then the air pressure will be lower/less dense above the ground [surrounding the large hole]. When you fly over the hole, the cooler air will be higher pressure/denser ... The Mavic's barometric altimeter would 'see' that as a decrease in altitude as you fly over the hole - even though the drone is maintaining a constant altitude ASL.

I was just wondering, because I used to have this mini toy drone and whenever I fly it over a cliff, it lost its balance and crashed.
I’m not actually going to takeoff my drone at a 300ft building. I was just overstating to make a good example. Thanks all for replying :)
This was most likely to be due to updrafts out from the cliff edge. It would be relatively calm actually standing on the cliff-top, but there may be quite an extensive vertical wind just a few feet out from the cliff edge ...

Reactions: old man mavic
the drone will hold its altitude, but look at your display....the height will adjust...meaning the setting on your display will update to the correct reading.
if you decend toward the ground the settings will adjust
I have experience flying my MP2 close to the ground, lets say 40-60 ft, over large holes, ditches, hills, that the setting on my drones did adjust on my display.
No matter how far you descend the main height display will always show the altitude relative to your starting point.
If you get within VPS sensor range (10 metres) of the ground, you will get a second height display on the app labelled VPS Height.

Last edited:
No matter how far you descend the main height display will always show the altitude relative to your starting point.
If you get within VPS sensor range (10 metres) of the ground, you will get a second height display on the app labelled VPS Height.
Exactly. The other height will read “-“, once you are below your take off ground level.

thanks...that's exactly, what I am seeing on the display.

So it’s not a good idea to launch your Mini out of your 21st floor hotel room window overlooking Waikiki - especially on a sunny, windy mid-afternoon?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada