DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if you takeoff your drone at a very high building and suddenly move out from the building?

Reactions
Question is simple. If I takeoff my mavic at a high building and move out of the building, will it cause crash of a drone? Let’s say the building is 300feet tall. I takeoff my drone at a top floor and fly at about 10feet. And then I just get out from the building which will now be 310feet high. Will it ubalance the drone and cause it to crash?

Question is simple. If I takeoff my mavic at a high building and move out of the building, will it cause crash of a drone? Let’s say the building is 300feet tall. I takeoff my drone at a top floor and fly at about 10feet. And then I just get out from the building which will now be 310feet high. Will it ubalance the drone and cause it to crash?
No, moving with the controller won't have any effect on the drone and won't cause it to crash.
If you went down to the ground, the height displayed on the controller would still show relative to the original launch point..
But if you launched on top of a tall building and went inside to go down to ground level, the drone would probably lose signal and return to the launch point before you even reached the ground.

No, moving with the controller won't have any effect on the drone and won't cause it to crash.
If you went down to the ground, the height displayed on the controller would still show relative to the original launch point..
But if you launched on top of a tall building and went inside to go down to ground level, the drone would probably lose signal and return to the launch point before you even reached the ground.
I guess my English had some error.. You’re staying at the top floor of the building and you control the drone to go out from the building, which will make sudden altitude change from 10ft to 310ft. Will it make the drone cause any weird moves?

I guess my English had some error.. You’re staying at the top floor of the building and you control the drone to go out from the building, which will make sudden altitude change from 10ft to 310ft. Will it make the drone cause any weird moves?
No .. the drone will act exactly like a bird or a helicopter.
It won't crash to the ground if it flies over a cliff edge.
And the indicated height will still be relative to your launch point.

No .. the drone will act exactly like a bird or a helicopter.
It won't crash to the ground if it flies over a cliff edge.
So will it increase the rpm by itself since it is higher altitude? Or does it always maintain the same except for when it climbs or descends?

It's a flying machine.
It makes no difference to the drone how far the ground is below the drone.
It won't need to increase the RPM either.
Awesome Meta4 . . . staying and fully answering his questions. Well done.

maybe our young if you believe the age he quotes friend ,lives in a penthouse and wants to fly his drone from his balcony who knows

Also jaewon_aviation_kr . . . be aware of the wind factors at that altitude. It may be reasonably calm over the building at 300 feet. If you move out just 10 feet the air convection could be waaay worse. Depending on what bird you are flying. It will take it so fast (your head will spin). . . .

Also jaewon_aviation_kr . . . be aware of the wind factors at that altitude. It may be reasonably calm over the building at 300 feet. If you move out just 10 feet the air convection could be waaay worse. Depending on what bird you are flying. It will take it so fast (your head will spin). . . .
perhaps that leads on to his other thread about the wind flipping the drone over

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It's a flying machine.
It makes no difference to the drone how far the ground is below the drone.
It won't need to increase the RPM either.
I was just wondering, because I used to have this mini toy drone and whenever I fly it over a cliff, it lost its balance and crashed.
I’m not actually going to takeoff my drone at a 300ft building. I was just overstating to make a good example. Thanks all for replying :)

Reactions: Mrveronn and Gindra

I hope I understand the question you ask....I have flew over a cliffs, hills, very large holes in ghe ground,and I have not had the chance to fly from a top of a building yet...but I can tell this, the drone will hold its altitude, but look at your display....the height will adjust...meaning the setting on your display will update to the correct reading.

but beware of the wind, and the position of your drone, be prepare to control the drone.

I hope I understand the question you ask....I have flew over a cliffs, hills, very large holes in ghe ground,and I have not had the chance to fly from a top of a building yet...but I can tell this, the drone will hold its altitude, but look at your display....the height will adjust...meaning the setting on your display will update to the correct reading.

but beware of the wind, and the position of your drone, be prepare to control the drone.
I know on a Mavic Pro, the height will not adjust. That’s the issue with, for example, flying across a valley. Say your country has a height limitation of 120m above ground level for drones, and you take off and fly from a mountain top to 100m, then out across a valley 50m deep, your control will only say 100m above ground but in reality you are at 150m...

Reactions: Thomas B
I know on a Mavic Pro, the height will not adjust. That’s the issue with, for example, flying across a valley. Say your country has a height limitation of 120m above ground level for drones, and you take off and fly from a mountain top to 100m, then out across a valley 50m deep, your control will only say 100m above ground but in reality you are at 150m...
That true, but if you decend toward the ground the settings will adjust

What he said, in picture form, from the UK CAA.
1578665111192.png

I have experience flying my MP2 close to the ground, lets say 40-60 ft, over large holes, ditches, hills, that the setting on my drones did adjust on my display.

I have experience flying my MP2 close to the ground, lets say 40-60 ft, over large holes, ditches, hills, that the setting on my drones did adjust on my display.
Interesting. On my M2P all displayed altitudes on my control device are relative to the TO point and do not adjust if distance to the ground changes as long as I don’t climb or descend... and then I get changes only relative to TO who’s having the drone sets as zero.

I'm not sure I follow the original question, but it sounds like maybe he wants to take off someplace tall, then go downstairs and it wondering what will happen.

If that's the scenario, my concern would be that it may lose signal in the stairs or elevator, causing it to RTH. Depending on where it took off from, this could cause problems.

Interesting. On my M2P all displayed altitudes on my control device are relative to the TO point and do not adjust if distance to the ground changes as long as I don’t climb or descend... and then I get changes only relative to TO who’s having the drone sets as zero.
My M2P behaves exactly like yours. I was not aware of any capability to sense the ground level.

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu