DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is considered safe separation from people and manned aircraft?

jacquespa

Reactions
I am curious what other UAV pilots consider to be an appropriate separation distance from people and manned aircraft in order to fly UAVs safely. I suspect the current FAA rules are intentionally vague in order to allow for different operating environments/aircraft and because it is understood that ultimately it is the responsibility of the UAV pilot to fly safely.

I am currently flying under the model aircraft rules. My concern is, if people are anywhere near the UAV operating area, someone may have a different perception of what “safe” is compared to the pilot. I think it would be helpful to have more explicit information/guidelines if confronted by someone, or questioned by local LEOs who may not be familiar with UAV regulations and have concerns about specific flight operations.

The second part of my question is safe separation from aircraft. I’m sure that manned pilots would prefer that there are no UAVs operating anywhere within miles of their aircraft. Fixed wing aircraft have not been too much of a concern for me personally. (I have a good rapport and coordinate flights with my local airport manager, I monitor the UNICOM frequency when I fly and stay well away from the local traffic patterns.) Helicopters, on the other hand, scare me a little. They are less predictable and sometimes fly less than 200 AGL near my home. Fortunately, low level flights have not happened when I was flying my UAV and I now have found other places to fly that provide greater long-range visibility and more warning so I can clear the area if needed. Conversations with local heliport operators confirmed for me that most operations (medical, police & news) are unscheduled and prior notification of my planned UAV operations, as required by the FAA, will do little to reduce risk.

Some info I have found:

From FAA Part 336:

- Never fly near other aircraft.
- Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.

From AMA’s website:

- I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures. I will not fly a powered model outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for myself or my helper(s) located at the flightline, unless I am taking off and landing, or as otherwise provided in AMA’s Competition Regulation. I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures.
- I will not interfere with and will yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft using AMA’s See and Avoid Guidance and a spotter when appropriate.

From DroneUp website:

- Not over people: Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation. This includes sports events.
- Yield: Must yield right of way to other aircraft.

FAA and AMA spell it out. Check their websites and other threads on this topic in this forum.

Commend your flying attitude.

Last edited:
I think this could be “too close”...

I agree, a little too close. I remember seeing it when it happened and was curious as to what caused that crash. Looked like it totaled the drone but fortunately missed the skier!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots