DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the supply voltage for the LED's in the nose of a Mini 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Just messing around with stuff and and picked up a damaged mini 2 shell. I was wondering about fitting the mini 2's nose LED to a mavic mini, and was wondering what their supply voltage is?
Thanks

Most of these LED types operate with 3v or 5v supplies. However, you shouldn't tie them directly to power; use a 1k resistor (depending on how "bright" you want it) in series with the power supply.

You do need a resistor in the power circuit, a low value resistor will make the LED brighter, but to low and the LED will be damaged or even burn out. Here's a simple explanation and quick read.

All about LEDS

Last edited:
LEDs are never driven with a pure voltage source. Unlike resistors, the curve of voltage vs current is nonlinear and extremely steep, so just slightly too much voltage will cause the LED to draw a huge current and burn out, while just slightly too little voltage will cause the LED to fail to light. Not only this, but the amount of voltage required varies with temperature, in a way that makes things unstable. So if you had a precisely regulated adjustable voltage supply, and set the voltage to just the right value to light up the LED, then the LED would warm up a bit, and this would cause it to draw much more current, which would warm it up further, causing it to draw still more current, in a "death spiral" of ever increasing current and heat, until the LED burned out.

The usual solution is to use a resistor in series with the LED to stabilize the current at the desired value. Sometimes a constant-current regulator is used -- it's more precise, but more expensive.

As a rule of thumb, most LEDs can be driven with about 20mA of current. But use the figure from the LED's data sheet if you can.

I've been wiring them directly for years without ever having a problem.... Guess you use different LEDs then I do? I'm talking about the 12v rolls off ebay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+