DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What phone should I buy?

bikelike

Reactions
I need a new phone. My Galaxy A5 2017 is getting old.
  1. The iPhone 12 Max has 800 real nits, so not just when there is little white being displayed. But also when I fly for 2015 minutes in the sunshine? I heard that overheating can occur. Visibility in sunshine conditions have been a pain really for me quite often.
  2. My A5 sometimes blocks the USB port since moisture is detected, like when cycling in fog (it is also my navigator) or sleeping in a tent in cold moist weather. It is very hard to get it going again when not heater is around. Would an iPhone or a Note 20 do better? So I am not talking about liquid, but condensation.
  3. The controller goes and feed the smartphone when connected. I understood this is a typical Android thing. OIS is better I presume?
  4. The last 25% of battery can suddenly drop in cold weather. Sure that is a typical battery thing, but my camera and my drone do better in that respect.
  5. Does a new iPhone with the non-rounded edges actually fit in the Pro 2 controller. And is a 12 pro max not too big for the controller?
Thanks for any advise!

Have you tried using a tablet ? Can get a Samsung 8" tablet for about $100. However, would need some mechanism for attaching to controller

Have you tried using a tablet ? Can get a Samsung 8" tablet for about $100. However, would need some mechanism for attaching to controller
are you referring to a A tab I,VE BEEN USING THE E TAB And it is reliable so wondering if anyone3 has used them and what they think , also does the 9 pie andriod even work with dji software

Really, you had luck with the Tab E?
That was the first tablet for me which I bought for the P3A, and it was a nightmare for it and M2. It would only recognize the remote through USB for a few seconds on rebooting the E, and if the app crashed, which happened a lot, I likely had to reboot the E again. Something Samsung put in that E blocked the USB from getting through, like a security feature or something.

Moved up to S3, no more issues like that.

Tab E doesn't have enough RAM for Fly (1.5GB), and might be 32 bit.

Really, you had luck with the Tab E?
That was the first tablet for me which I bought for the P3A, and it was a nightmare for it and M2. It would only recognize the remote through USB for a few seconds on rebooting the E, and if the app crashed, which happened a lot, I likely had to reboot the E again. Something Samsung put in that E blocked the USB from getting through, like a security feature or something.

Moved up to S3, no more issues like that.

Tab E doesn't have enough RAM for Fly (1.5GB), and might be 32 bit.
thanks for the info i am always intrested in hands on knowledge , there are several models of e tabs the model i have has never given me any issues but it surely dosent have enough ram sometimes the display gets striped but has 1000 give or take miles not recorded on missions that lost signal and it always reconnected when it got back in range and it had an outdoor mode on the display that is nice never had a disconnect from the app if i were 18 again wouldn,t need a tablet ;lol

I need a new phone. My Galaxy A5 2017 is getting old.
  1. The iPhone 12 Max has 800 real nits, so not just when there is little white being displayed. But also when I fly for 2015 minutes in the sunshine? I heard that overheating can occur. Visibility in sunshine conditions have been a pain really for me quite often.
  2. My A5 sometimes blocks the USB port since moisture is detected, like when cycling in fog (it is also my navigator) or sleeping in a tent in cold moist weather. It is very hard to get it going again when not heater is around. Would an iPhone or a Note 20 do better? So I am not talking about liquid, but condensation.
  3. The controller goes and feed the smartphone when connected. I understood this is a typical Android thing. OIS is better I presume?
  4. The last 25% of battery can suddenly drop in cold weather. Sure that is a typical battery thing, but my camera and my drone do better in that respect.
  5. Does a new iPhone with the non-rounded edges actually fit in the Pro 2 controller. And is a 12 pro max not too big for the controller?
Thanks for any advise!
I got a galaxy A8 with android 10. Just make sure that you don't get anything with android 11. DJI has not adapted their firmware to 'droid 11 yet. It works fine with DJI and 'Drone Harmony'

I got a galaxy A8 with android 10. Just make sure that you don't get anything with android 11. DJI has not adapted their firmware to 'droid 11 yet. It works fine with DJI and 'Drone Harmony'
Actually 11 became supported as of update on Sept 21, 2020.

To those with experience, is a controller a better option than a phone. Must say i was suprised to see the DJI controller only has a 5.5" screen. I have 2 motorola phones with a bigger display than the controller and a chromebook. Wouldn't even consider using the chromebook . I am an android user, never had an Iphone and stopped using Windows products a long time ago. My thoughts are the controller would be a better option rather than buying another phone, but I am new to this and plead forgivness for my ignorance!

To those with experience, is a controller a better option than a phone. Must say i was suprised to see the DJI controller only has a 5.5" screen. I have 2 motorola phones with a bigger display than the controller and a chromebook. Wouldn't even consider using the chromebook . I am an android user, never had an Iphone and stopped using Windows products a long time ago. My thoughts are the controller would be a better option rather than buying another phone, but I am new to this and plead forgivness for my ignorance!

For me I have a new iPhone 12 Pro Max 256gb. The resolution is much better than the SC and almost a 7” screen. However I really like the SC I just think it’s a little expensive for what it is and would like to see a few updates before spending that much on a SC.

I was thinking maybe a sunscreen for the SC and install a magnifying glass so I could see the tiny screen! Ol eyes ain't what they used to be.

One thing to remember with phones the iPhone 12 and the Samsung Galaxy models, sustained high brightness levels will shorten the life of the display. They are OLED and the display is the light, as opposed to LCD displays, where there is a LED backlight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada