DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What type of Lens Error is this?

Mike107

Premium Pilot
Reactions
What is the correct name of lens error is seen in the lower right corner of the image?
It appears to be internal reflections between internal lens elements. Is that correct?

This is a new aircraft. Does it indicate there is a problem with the camera, or is it something normal which I have to learn to workaround?

Shot with Mini 3 Pro using the OEM lens hood. Without additional filters. The Lens appears clean.

Thanks for the help.
dji_export_1660914232667.jpg

Reactions: Bwill211
Look to me like lens flare from shooting into the sun.

Look to me like lens flare from shooting into the sun.
Lens flare. Got it. Thanks.
Is there anything “excess” in the amount present, or does it seem a “normal” amount?

Thanks again.

What is the correct name of lens error is seen in the lower right corner of the image?
It appears to be internal reflections between internal lens elements. Is that correct?

This is a new aircraft. Does it indicate there is a problem with the camera, or is it something normal which I have to learn to workaround?

Shot with Mini 3 Pro using the OEM lens hood. Without additional filters. The Lens appears clean.

Thanks for the help.
View attachment 153539
It’s a lens flare but the specific term is “ghosting” for this type of flare. A ghosting flare generally occurs on the other side of the frame from the light source causing the flare and shows up as repetitive defined shapes. Ghosting flair is due to light reflecting off internal elements in the lens close to the image plane or even the sensor itself

Lens flare. Got it. Thanks.
Is there anything “excess” in the amount present, or does it seem a “normal” amount?

Thanks again.
Looks relatively normal to me, it of course varies depending on the specific lens in use. You could have swung to the right and changed its look or removed it completely by taking out most or all of the direct sun light.

Reactions: Mike107
It’s a lens flare but the specific term is “ghosting” for this type of flare. A ghosting flare generally occurs on the other side of the frame from the light source causing the flare and shows up as repetitive defined shapes. Ghosting flair is due to light reflecting off internal elements in the lens close to the image plane or even the sensor itself
Excellent education. Thanks. :)

Looks relatively normal to me, it of course varies depending on the specific lens in use. You could have swung to the right and changed its look or removed it completely by taking out most or all of the direct sun light.
Appreciate the feedback.
Funny thing related to your comment about manipulating the flare—one of the first people with whom I shared this image commented how he liked the flare—giving another layer and energy.

Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback.
Funny thing related to your comment about manipulating the flare—one of the first people with whom I shared this image commented how he liked the flare—giving another layer and energy.

Thanks!
Lens flare in some cases does add to the content of the image... in your case, I think it looks fine, its a great shot.

Reactions: bcfd29 and Mike107
Lens flare has been with us since the beginning in the 1800s. Lens coatings have evolved over the years to significantly reduce their impact. Even lenses costing thousands of $ create them. The photographer’s job is to understand them, and avoid them, or not, depending on his creative desires.

Reactions: Mike107
It’s a lovely shot with or without the rays. ( I prefer them in…) The sailboat gives it an additional focus point as well as scale. Well seen!

ps darn, I was not looking at the bottom right, just the rays in the water.

Thanks for the help.
View attachment 153539
Interesting. I too have been dealing with this since I first bought the drone and honestly I'm surprised nobody else is talking about it more. I can appreciate all lens's suffer from lens flare but these ugly delineated rings in the corners are something else entirely and totally ruin a lot of good shots. I wonder if it's a bad batch as another member mentioned they don't experience it on theirs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji