DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats inside the landing gear?

Geronimo76

Reactions
Mavick 2 Pro...Crashed during an attempted manual landing, the right side arms collapsed and the rear prop took a byte out of the front right landing leg. At first it looked like just trashed prop and Ive flown it a few times after the crash not even noticing that gash in the leg. The light still works and as far as i can tell it still flys just fine.

It looks like there is a circuit board in that leg that took a slashing. Dose anyone know what that circuit board is? Also is there any way to do a diagnostic on the mavic 2 pro to see if this is just a flesh wound?

Luckily I did get the insurance from dji.IMG_3936.JPGIMG_3936.JPG

Mavick 2 Pro...Crashed during an attempted manual landing, the right side arms collapsed and the rear prop took a byte out of the front right landing leg. At first it looked like just trashed prop and Ive flown it a few times after the crash not even noticing that gash in the leg. The light still works and as far as i can tell it still flys just fine.

It looks like there is a circuit board in that leg that took a slashing. Dose anyone know what that circuit board is? Also is there any way to do a diagnostic on the mavic 2 pro to see if this is just a flesh wound?

Luckily I did get the insurance from dji.View attachment 69040View attachment 69040

I believe the antennae are in there. So if they are working then you are probably good. I had something similar happen not as bad though and I just patched it up with epoxy.

You can replace them entirely though

I believe the antennae are in there. So if they are working then you are probably good. I had something similar happen not as bad though and I just patched it up with epoxy.

You can replace them entirely though
Note: OP has a Mavic 2 Pro, not a Mavic Pro.

My main concern is that white part inside, It’s hard to tell but it looks like circuit board. Today I had it out over a mile away and 1,500 feet up and the antenna seemed ok.

Dose anyone know what that circuit board is?

That board is your antenna and yours is cracked. If you are not getting any compass errors, then its possible that the slash missed the coax cable, which would make you the luckiest man in the world.

Still, flying it a mile away in its current condition is like playing in traffic. 1500 feet up? Geronimo, are you flying on an Indian reservation? I dont mean any disrepect to Native Americans, but Indian reservations arent required to follow all federal government regulations.

Last edited:
I was thinking they they were the same part though. I see now they might be a little different due to the light being part of the leg on the Mavic 2 my bad

Look the same, but different. DJI reengineered the front landing legs, so now its one of the more difficult repairs on the Mavic 2. It used to be 3 screws to pop off the leg, reverse and repeat. Now you have to solder it on off and on.

lol thanks for the reply's, looking at the inside of that board I don't see any metal so I think I got lucky.

If I send it back to DJI under the refresh insurance would I get my new mavick back or a repaired used one? Also whats the turn around time for repairs at dji?

lol thanks for the reply's, looking at the inside of that board I don't see any metal so I think I got lucky.

If I send it back to DJI under the refresh insurance would I get my new mavick back or a repaired used one? Also whats the turn around time for repairs at dji?
No, it took 9 days with claim on refresh made on a Friday night. Drone was about a month old. No need to talk to anyone. They’ll email instructions and a shipping label. The drone I got back had a different serial, but was manufactured in the same tear and month as the one I sent in. On very close inspection I could not tell it from new. They had already registered it to my DJICare.

So I own a computer repair shop and was one of those kids who took moms vacuum apart, so I couldn't resist taking a peek. Looks like Tunderdrones was correct I got lucky the board did take a shalacking at the top but the wire is fine. The LED still works also. Looks like the antenna is just a simple solder ball holding the wire to the board. I think Ill take my chances and buy a used arm online and pull the parts i need to rehab this myself.

No way I'm going take a used drone from dji for something this simple, this thing is only a week old. I posted some pics of the antenna in the right landing leg if anyone wants to see whats inside.

Thunderdrones would you be able to sell me the antenna and leg?

Attachments

• IMG_3949.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3952.JPG
    IMG_3952.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3953.JPG
    IMG_3953.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: Former Member
Agree you could likely do it. Be ready for more repair than you anticipate.
However, consider it’s a broken second hand drone now anyway, and that you may void the DJICare you mention above. Just some thoughts... I did get the impression you have purchased DJICare... am I mistaken?
Best of luck whichever way you go.

Last edited:
So I own a computer repair shop and was one of those kids who took moms vacuum apart, so I couldn't resist taking a peek. Looks like Tunderdrones was correct I got lucky the board did take a shalacking at the top but the wire is fine. The LED still works also. Looks like the antenna is just a simple solder ball holding the wire to the board. I think Ill take my chances and buy a used arm online and pull the parts i need to rehab this myself.

No way I'm going take a used drone from dji for something this simple, this thing is only a week old. I posted some pics of the antenna in the right landing leg if anyone wants to see whats inside.

Thunderdrones would you be able to sell me the antenna and leg?

To be honest with you, despite what I said before, if it's flying normally, no compass error messages, youre getting good range, and the leg is strong enough to support the drone, you might just think about JB Welding it back on to cover the cut part. I never recommend gluing parts, but this is not a vital structural component, and if the JB Weld holds, it can make it as strong as it was before. If you decide to go this route, make sure after you JB Weld it that the drone can stand and that the leg will hold. DJI just made what was a simple repair on the MP, a nightmare on the M2.

I still have not found a reliable source for the leg. I have a drawer full of OEM DJI arms without legs, just like the Mavic Pro. I have been buying whole arms and stripping the legs off of them for repairs. Overkill, yes, but havent found a better solution.

Im seriously thinking of casting the legs myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geronimo76
Thanks Thunder... I had actually considered that as we use JB weld for power jack housing repairs on laptops all time. Being a tinkerer Id like to replace the leg if possible. Can you offer any insight on how that LED is attached to the plastic leg? is it easily removable? My idea is to get a used plastic leg and swap my antenna and LED over to the new plastic leg? Can the LED be removed from the plastic leg without soldering? The leg bends a good bit and needs replaced as I plan to use it at the shore this summer and don't want it filled with sand.

$40 for an arm just to pull the leg is overkill but the cost isnt much of a concern for me at this point I just want it looking like new.

Attachments

• IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 23
I'll be happy to help. check out this thread:

Reactions: Geronimo76
Agree you could likely do it. Be ready for more repair than you anticipate.
However, consider it’s a broken second hand drone now anyway, and that you may void the DJICare you mention above. Just some thoughts... I did get the impression you have purchased DJICare... am I mistaken?
Best of luck whichever way you go.

Yes but from what I hear, you get a used drone back not yours repaired. Mine is a week old with a broken piece of plastic. If I send it back and get one with old motors or one full of used worn parts Im losing a new drone for an old one. If i ever had a major crash that required me to send it back Id just swap back the broken plastic and send it in for refresh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez