DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the maximum wind speed that the Mavic Air 2 can fly at?

Wulfrune

Reactions
What's the maximum wind speed that the Mavic Air 2 can fly at? Originally I cut my teeth on a DJI inspire 1 and as previous owners are no doubt aware, the Inspire 1 wasn't recommended (as far as I can recall) in winds over a certain speed, so, is this the same for the Mavic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wulfrune m(_ _)m

What's the maximum wind speed that the Mavic Air 2 can fly at? Originally I cut my teeth on a DJI inspire 1 and as previous owners are no doubt aware, the Inspire 1 wasn't recommended (as far as I can recall) in winds over a certain speed, so, is this the same for the Mavic?
There's no simple, single number to answer your question.
Your drone won't be able to make headway with a wind that's faster than the drone can fly.
But what's a safe speed to fly in, depends on the direction of the wind, what direction you are intending to fly and the distance you fly.

There's no simple, single number to answer your question.
Your drone won't be able to make headway with a wind that's faster than the drone can fly.
But what's a safe speed to fly in, depends on the direction of the wind, what direction you are intending to fly, and the distance you fly.

What's the general rule of thumb in such cases? when would you be saying "no, it's not a good day"?

What's the general rule of thumb in such cases? when would you be saying "no, it's not a good day"?
There's no "rule of thumb" and I have no idea what you mean by "in such cases".
To save me a lot of typing, maybe what I posted here explains it for you:

Reactions: Wulfrune
Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

It isn't any rule of thumb ... it's to many "it depends".

This from the user manual is what you should start up with & respect ...
1599637815046.png

Then it's how & where you fly that dictates if you will be successful in a flight if you notices that you have judged the wind speeds wrongly ... if you always fly out into the wind, have a possibility to loose height if needed without risking the RC-AC connection & have plenty of space without obstacles so you can maneuver freely ... Then you rises the odds that you can make it home.

As long as you have a RC-AC connection you always have access to the Sport modes 19m/s & can make headway if the wind is below that, but bear in mind that the battery consumption will be high if fighting a head wind, keep close & turn home in time ... but if you loose connection it's the RTH speed that fights the wind & that is much lower (equals N mode I believe).

Use something that can help you judge the wind speeds on different altitudes ... like the UAV forecast app. It's been pretty believable in my neighborhoods & I have it set to show me winds at 100m. But it's a forecast ... nothing more.

With the correct flying behavior & environment set you can try out winds that's stronger the the max wind resistance stated in the manual, learn when you get wind warnings & how much headroom you have after that.

Then of course ... it's always better to skip flying a too windy day & fly more another instead.

Last edited:
It could probably fly in any reasonable (we're not talking hurricane velocity) wind speed but at some point it's not going to be going forward. I know that's not what you mean but you can look up the maximum speed of the drone and go from there..Be Conservative at all times:)

Ok Gentlemen, I think I have a much clearer picture now. Thank you for your help.

I consider the matter closed.

Many thanks all.

Wulfrune

Reactions: hiflyer201
Look at the Max speed above, and cut it in half.
And as my rule, "if at all possible, start the flight by going upwind" as the first leg of flight.
If you have to think , "well, maybe I can do it, doesn't look to bad", well then, be seeing you here later on....

Wulfrune,
Try this video. It will give you a good idea on what kind of wind...
Always fly safe!

Normally I do not fly over 20Mph sustain wind.
Even when the Mavic Air 2 is capable to fly in higher than 20Mph wind for example you need to take into consideration the gusting wind that can be way higher than that.

Just as an FYI, I bought an anemometer which should help with the decision making process.

Once again, thank you all for your help, it's nice to go onto a forum where its members try to offer sound advice based upon experience, unlike, let's say the Moneysavingexpert forums, where if one asks a question, you automatically become a viable target for trolls that infect the site, so it's positively refreshing to be somewhere where the member help.

So Kudos to you.

Reactions: JDerrick and slup
I somewhat inadvertently did some maximum wind testing with a MA2 a couple of days ago. I knew it was windy, but had no idea how windy. I normally only fly into a strong wind and come back with the wind, but from my location I had to fly down wind and come back against the wind.

According to the Airdata information, the maximum wind topped out at just over 44 MPH, but was in the mid to high 30 MPH range for most of the flight. Looking at the detailed data, at anything about a 35 MPH headwind, I was making little or no headway, and at 40 MPH and above, I blew a few feet backwards every 5 seconds.

I have gotten over 30 min of flight from the MA2. During this flight I took off with 100% battery and after a 17 min 30 sec flight, landed with 8%. I was still trying to get back to the take off/landing area when I got the "Critical battery level, landing" message, but kept the left stick forward and made it to the landing area.

I will post a partial screen print of the winds reported by Airdata every 5 secs.MA2 Wind Map.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d