DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the results of descending below the takeoff altitude?

All DJI drones behave the same way when they fly below the launch point.
The same way? Meaning, all fly as usual below take off points. They should just get a negative altitude reading. Right?

I have the mini 1, mav air 2 , mp2 and mz2. They all fly the same when I fly below my take off point (even from a 20 story highrise). They even land and take off at -200 ft below me. I never had issues flying a few hundred feet below my take off point.

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
I've searched the threads and seems like there's a difference of opinion. I'm travelling to Moab, Utah in June for an extended weekend of exploring many of the trails out there. As many of you may know the scenery is spectacular and I'm excited to get some great footage. With that said, my question is this, since there are many desert canyons there, if I descend into one and go down say 50-100ft below the recorded takeoff altitude, how can I expect, if anything, for the drone to respond? I'll be flying a Mavic Air1.

Truly depends on Sat Lock and maintaining sats during descent. If pretty wide open - I've gone 300+ ft below my AGL.

Be VERY AWARE and use an app like Kittyhawk / etc to make sure you do not fly in NFZ's. Most of the area around Moab is NPS type property and NO DRONES ALLOWED to take-off / land inside them.

That does not stop you from taking off / landing outside of those parks, but Arches, Canyonlands, and others will be RESTRICTED.

I wouldn't think this would be an issue, since the Mavic will be well below the 16 or 98 feet limitation.

EDIT: Assuming these height limitations are above take-off point.

If descending say 100 ft below or negative AGL and something happens to the GPS signal - the failsafe of 96 feet WILL NOT get you back to ZERO AGL, so you may not get back far enough to land and retrieve. That would be worse case scenario. If he was able to register GPS at take-off (hovering say 5-10 feet above the ground) - when and if the drone did ascend back up the 96 feet - then it should register GPS again - unless he is flying in a very tight spot. That may take a minute or two - so DO NOT FREAK OUT and let the drone reconnect - hoping he was not being a "cowboy" and draining the batteries to below their failsafe point.

Moab is a great place to fly - yet it has many many NFZ's due to National / State Park land everywhere. Arches and Canyonlands would be a definite no-no for taking off / landing; but you could outside of those areas and fly over.

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
Truly depends on Sat Lock and maintaining sats during descent. If pretty wide open - I've gone 300+ ft below my AGL.

Be VERY AWARE and use an app like Kittyhawk / etc to make sure you do not fly in NFZ's. Most of the area around Moab is NPS type property and NO DRONES ALLOWED to take-off / land inside them.

That does not stop you from taking off / landing outside of those parks, but Arches, Canyonlands, and others will be RESTRICTED.
Thanks, and that's good to know about the altitude. I don't anticipate losing GPS out there since it's so wide open. Thanks for the heads-up about the NFZ's. I live right next door to a National Park and am very familiar with the National Park restrictions. I'm pretty religious about checking before flying for NFZ's, TFR's etc.

If descending say 100 ft below or negative AGL and something happens to the GPS signal - the failsafe of 96 feet WILL NOT get you back to ZERO AGL, so you may not get back far enough to land and retrieve. That would be worse case scenario. If he was able to register GPS at take-off (hovering say 5-10 feet above the ground) - when and if the drone did ascend back up the 96 feet - then it should register GPS again - unless he is flying in a very tight spot. That may take a minute or two - so DO NOT FREAK OUT and let the drone reconnect - hoping he was not being a "cowboy" and draining the batteries to below their failsafe point.

Moab is a great place to fly - yet it has many many NFZ's due to National / State Park land everywhere. Arches and Canyonlands would be a definite no-no for taking off / landing; but you could outside of those areas and fly over.
Thanks for the info. I literally live right next to a National Park, and can walk to it from our house, so I'm very familiar with the restrictions of flying in one. I always check for NFZ's and TFR's before flying so I should be good, but thanks for the info!

I have a Mav Air 2. I don't have a MAV air 1. On the Mav air 2 l just see a negative altitude read out. No changes occur otherwise. I fly off a 5 story building every day. Then I fly below my starting point. Nothing changes except the altitude indicator is negative. That's all. Maybe the Mav Air 1 isn't getting firmware updates to eliminate this limitation? I don't know. I guess, do what the other pilots do, turning off downward sensors. Good Luck.
I fly off of our roof and it’s the same with me, the altitude just goes negative and everything else stays normal.

I have flown from the tops of cliff faces. Those flight paths often ventured below the takeoff altitude. No issues with that.
Wind was a huge factor at times. In one instance I had to keep the bird out of the wind limiting the filming options. I could only fly in the lee of the wind.
Another flight was compromised by heavy fog. It is far safer & visually superior to fly well ABOVE fog when possible.

I flew a magic 2 zoom at Moab summer 2020. Flew several canyons both from above and below with no issues. Enjoy!

If descending say 100 ft below or negative AGL and something happens to the GPS signal - the failsafe of 96 feet WILL NOT get you back to ZERO AGL, so you may not get back far enough to land and retrieve.
This sounds quite confused.
The issue would only be a problem if:
The drone was in a narrow canyon where most of the sky is blocked out - (and the OP has already explained he's not flying in that kind of environment).
and
The drone gets close enough to the ground for VPS to read the distance from the ground below it.

This is a very rare situation - I've only seen reports of it happening three times.

Reactions: Gringorio and okw
I would caution against it. Descending below the takeoff altitude can cause a shift in the space-time continuum, and extinguish all life in the universe.

I've searched the threads and seems like there's a difference of opinion. I'm travelling to Moab, Utah in June for an extended weekend of exploring many of the trails out there. As many of you may know the scenery is spectacular and I'm excited to get some great footage. With that said, my question is this, since there are many desert canyons there, if I descend into one and go down say 50-100ft below the recorded takeoff altitude, how can I expect, if anything, for the drone to respond? I'll be flying a Mavic Air1.
The results are negative. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

D

In all seriousness, I live on top of a hill, and fly 100-150 meters below my launch altitude all the time. The craft will be just fine. Just make sure that you keep LOS and signal. I would also bump up the RTH altitude.

Keep in mind that if you descend into a canyon, you may lose all signals, with the potential results that come from it.

Reactions: Thomas B
My friend and I went to Molokai to fly this waterfall... down 675M (2,214.57 ft)... also, check out the tree tops... it was a challenge... long video but the end of the descent is at: 8:42 (showing controller stats) (Mavic Pro)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7