DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Kind of Drone Pilot Are You?

#1 & #2
I love flying.
I love capturing the perspective.
It is all one experience to me.
That being said, the drone is an enterprise tool for me.
It is an artists paintbrush and the carpenters plumb line.
As I survey the farmers field collecting data for a job I am also imagining I am an Eagle soaring over the field.

Kinda crazy...I know.

#2 for me.
I started off attaching a camera to a fishing kite (about 14 years ago).
Then a balsa motorised glider.
Then several home built drones ( from about 10 years ago)
Finally a Mavic Air I bought second-hand a couple of years ago which gets pulled out every now and again to make sure I can still fly it!
The whole project was to get views like on my home page @ portrobinson.nz

regards to all
TC

Started as #1 then discovered how good other peoples videos looked. Crashed the P3A. Gimbal and camera broke off.. Now have a mini 2. The camera is an aid to good flying for sure, But just flying the P3A without the camera is not much fun anymore. Mini 2 is fun.
So I guess a solid #2 now.

#2 alot. When I take my drone out for photography, I enjoy looking around to plan the flight, looking for obstacles, dangers, best shots, wind direction, people. It keeps the old "grey matter" active.

#1 when I am practicing with the drone ie apas, flying in wind, checking out functions

Reactions: EagleHead
I started out as an old school B&W photographer. I shot lots of 4 x 5 (Speed Graphic) and 2 1/4 (Yashica Mats & Rollies. I had a basement darkroom and used both Kodak & Ilford film & paper. (Alsel Adams want to be)

But I'm also a EE & RC Planes, Boats & Cars with Heathkit RC electronics were one of my "childhood" hobbies.

So it's really about what "mood: I'm in.

I started at 2 because of the great video and still shots a good drone can get (Air 2S) and found it a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. I’m enjoying getting better and have really always liked photography. Along the way I am getting more interested in the flying part and feeling more lure in #1. I may have to try an FPV someday

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
Play with me on this one for a little bit. Are you:

1) A pilot of a drone, which has a camera attached, or
2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone?

TCS

I am definitely number 2. I am a photographer, and the reason I use my drone is that it's cheaper and easier than a correspondingly high stepladder for framing my shots.

• Love
Reactions: Grazuncle
I am #2..

The reason i bought and fly drone is to add aerial footage to my vlog.. yes, primarily i record aerial videos.. but sometimes i change to photo mode to capture some photos

In video/photography world, drone are flying camera, used to take video/photos that are impossible to capture (perspective wise) using land based cameras.

So far i am happy with my Mini SE

I am #2..

The reason i bought and fly drone is to add aerial footage to my vlog.. yes, primarily i record aerial videos.. but sometimes i change to photo mode to capture some photos

In video/photography world, drone are flying camera, used to take video/photos that are impossible to capture (perspective wise) using land based cameras.

So far i am happy with my Mini SE
A media company I started working for had hired full blown, manned helicopters for corporate shots... Yes hanging out of the open door with very heavy equipment. They cost a fortune and a days shoot was similarly expensive!

For the same type of footage these things are relatively cheap nowadays!

Nature programs are full of drone shots.

A media company I started working for had hired full blown, manned helicopters for corporate shots... Yes hanging out of the open door with very heavy equipment. They cost a fortune and a days shoot was similarly expensive!

Yes.. gone days where aerial shots done with helis and heavy camera... :D

now even budget TV Programs using few seconds drone shot for their opening and transition.. i have some fellow pilots of mine whos living a fortune by making aerial shots for TV and movies..

...Nature programs are full of drone shots...

My wife likes to watch the crime shows. They almost all feature drone flyovers of the town (the ubiquitous water tower shot) and the residential (neighborhood) footage.

Also my dad was in a photo recon squadron in Italy (15th Airforce) in WWII.
The squadron flew P38 Lightnings. When the planes came back from a mission, if they had film left over, they often shot scenic shots of the Italian countryside.

I might add that they usually did have leftover film. This film was often cut up into a size that the GIs used in their personal cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crouching Leopard

"What Kind of Drone Pilot Are You?"​

Apprarantly not a good one.. Crashed my mini 2 the third time out...Right rear prop hit a leaf while trying to take a photo of a tree trunk bout 50 feet up..Hit the ground and broke the arm !!!

Hello from the Crossroads of America Captain J Case.

Sorry to hear about the Mini 2 incident.

I like your avatar choice.

Auto Pilot is one of the best in the film industry.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
For the complexity of drone regulations in South Africa, I'm definitely a photographer :cool: drone not mentioned. Camera hanging of a kite, haha

2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
Type 2 for me. I’m an avid photographer, and happy that drones have got to the point that I don’t have to spend 100% of my attention on flying, but can actually concentrate safely on what I’m capturing, knowing the drone isn’t going to spiral out of the sky, because my thumb slipped on the joystick, while I was setting up a shot.

Don’t get me wrong, I love flying, but it’s nice to have something that can basically fly itself, and let me concentrate on the composition.

• Love
Reactions: Grazuncle
#2 ...I bought my mini 2 because I hate selfie's. I used it to get pictures of me on my vacation on the east coast(U.S.A.). Motorcycle. I liked it so much I wanted more capability.. so I bought a Air 2 and the same thing happened again. I love time lapse photos but hated trying to change batteries quickly enough to keep the transition smooth. Now a Mavic 3 longer flight time and when I get close to the 30 second limit I put the Air 2 just above it with same view. Some times just behind it so it's in the picture too. 🙃
This is all in the last 8 months.. you might say I'm F*^$%^& addicted.. looking forward to warmer weather here so I can get a little tracking of me and friends on our bikes.. with 3 now I can get a couple hours of flight without recharging.. all fly more kits..Love Flying and pictures from angles nothing but drones can get.. Junkie Rick.. 🤪

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78