DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Kind of Drone Pilot Are You?

Nice Resume. Vic.. I owned a Photography company for a few years but my Engineering job got in the way.. Im planning on making a Drone business when I RETIRE very SOON,, I’ve been walking through the same door at work for over 30 years, I’m soooooo. Ready to stop getting up every morning at 3:30 AM …
I specialize in Architectural Photography. When we have to be on site for a sunrise in the summer, we're leaving the house at 3:30AM. 😂

Play with me on this one for a little bit. Are you:

1) A pilot of a drone, which has a camera attached, or
2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
Me #1. Son #2

Reactions: Chris4koi
Play with me on this one for a little bit. Are you:

2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
I am both depending on the day. Honestly I forget to turn on the camera a lot of times on the M1X and I have yet to remember to adjust the derned settings so my video comes out right so I lean toward #1 for sure.

About the drones. Don’t cheap out. Just get the Mini 2. The Occusync 2.0 is incredible, the batteries are better, the camera is better and the cost isn’t really that much more.

Definitely #2. It started out with just wanting a few custom bits of video for work. Once I began to get the hang of flying, everything got a little more serious. Now I’m full fledged addicted to the pursuit of fantastic footage which enables me to create videos to my heart’s content.

So, @Chaosrider, plenty of people have played with you. I haven’t calculated the numbers, but it appears to be about a 50-50 split, and it looks like we all really enjoyed answering this question. How refreshing it has been to see a post like this that has not elicited disagreements and mild sniping. Are the results what you expected?

I started as a Flyer and have gravitated towards getting better and better shots and videos. I love shooting mountain scenes but am unhappy about the 1,640 foot limit. Kills a lot of great shots.

Definitely #2, use DSLR a great deal and like the fact that I can different perspectives in the air with the drone.
I’m very much a goal oriented person.
Go out to take photos/ videos of specific things.

Solid #1 here. I often don't even think to film until I'm coming in.
I *HATE* when that happens!

My preflight process is to turn on the camera to take video just before I lift off. I want the video so that I can watch it alter on a decent screen.

But the filming is incidental to the flight, usually. But, I just bought Litchi, so you never know...

;-)

TCS

I hold a private pilot certificate, as well as a remote pilot certificate; I am also a photographer. I just wanted to share with you some advice from a budding pilot who comes from the much larger world of flying that is general aviation. I hope this helps you understand basic components of what us normal pilots deal with with flying, while also helping you understand how we operate and how to avoid us. Understanding is critical to safety in many instances. This is not intended to be a know all be all to flying drones in the US. Most of this information is supplemental, and, again, is intended to help you understand how airspace works, and to help Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin you find what you are looking for. As with anything else, do your own research.

Last edited:
I hold a private pilot certificate, as well as a remote pilot certificate; I am also a photographer. I just wanted to share with you some advice from a budding pilot who comes from the much larger world of flying that is general aviation. I hope this helps you understand basic components of what us normal pilots deal with with flying, while also helping you understand how we operate and how to avoid us. Understanding is critical to safety in many instances. This is not intended to be a know all be all to flying drones in the US. Most of this information is supplemental, and, again, is intended to help you understand how airspace works, and to help you find what you are looking for. As with anything else, do your own research.
I think you will find that a significant number of members here also hold Part 61 certificates.

I’m definitely type #1. I have a Private pilot license and use my GoPro’s while flying Cessna’s but vidio and picture taking at low level is a blast… In the Cessna I’m usually going 120+ miles per hour and really busy in the drivers seat to focus on the video….

Mavic 2 Pro,
DJI FPV. Is a friggin blast,, I feel like im flying my Cessna. I thought I would get sea sick with the FPV. But surprisingly not at all.
Looks like a nice Cessna! Technology has came a long ways. That cockpit looks way WAY different than the Cessna I took lessons in!

Definitely a #2 here. Used to take aerials with my Pentax 6x7 film camera from my Cessna 120. Sold the airplane, so the drone gives me that overhead view I have always enjoyed.

Looks like a nice Cessna! Technology has came a long ways. That cockpit looks way WAY different than the Cessna I took lessons in!
Oh yes it is G1000 version. I started out in a 1979 Cessna 152 but my instructor was having trouble getting in and had to fly with half full tanks. 325 lbs. and me at my Aviator weight of 175. LOL. Pretty much has to fly squeeeezed into the left seat. He’s a big boy. Had another instructor back in The Who was 80 years old Bud , i learned so much from him. Rest his soul. Bud helped me with my crosswind landings. We always had a crosswind. One run both ends always 90* to the wind. I think Bud could fly that bird with his eyes closed. He would. Dont be afraid of the wind. Learn how to use it…. After many landings going side ways I finally got it.. and my airport now has two runways figures right. LOL

What Kind of Drone Pilot Are You?​

2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone?

What Kind of Drone Pilot Am I?​

Pilot?...not really. Photographer?...not really. Caravanner?...Yes! - who happens to have a drone with a camera.
Love the question...but I cannot question my real love....that of caravanning!
Have learned so much from this forum and am improving on both fronts.
Love the characters who contribute to this forum and often spend hours viewing many parts of the world from a perspective that no chair under any caravan awning could offer.
This was the first photo I took with my MPP inland from the Gold Coast Queensland Australia (below Mt Tamborine).....so much to learn!
Is there anyone out there who like me (enjoys if not yet mastered) all 3 disciplines of piloting, photography and caravanning (RVng)?
Ps I crashed my drone into that solitary Gum tree next to our van...and therein lies the real answer to the question....What Kind of Pilot Are you?

3AFF471E-5975-4E97-AB95-5E7F79278459.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986