DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's with those extra files on the sd card

andrew reeves

Reactions
Got to fly the new DJI air s 2 yesterday from B&H < retail, BTW. Loaded the sd card files into my desktop. Then I noticed these new file formats (.srt) under the normally listed .jpg's and .mp4's. What are they and why are they there?

Last edited:
Do they have size to them or are they just tiny data-sized files? .mpg is just another video file flavor and is similar to mpeg. If it's the actual video file and you can't play them, there are plenty of free players out there in the www.

.jp is supposed to be a better algorithmic image file than a .jpeg but if you can shoot .dng, it's much better than .jp as that is still compressed.

The file ends in .srt. Below is a screen print. Never saw that extention in any of my dji drones. Since this card came from my air 2, I didnt think of formating it for the new air 2 s. Should I have formated it from the controller?

Attachments

• 20210423_120709.jpg
    20210423_120709.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
.SRT files are the subtitle files that go along with the videos. Most of the DJI drones can create these (you can shut them off in the menu). Play the matching videos in your vlc players and they'll show up on screen with data about lat/long, camera settings, altitude, etc.

Am I in the twilight zone or did you not ask about .jp and .mpg files?

Am I in the twilight zone or did you not ask about .jp and .mpg files?
Maybe the OP was confusing as he said "new file formats under the regular .jpg and .mpg", which led me to believe something else other than .jpg and .mpg (but I see the confusion).

After you posted the first time the OP literally drew on a screen shot and wrote "what are these files" next to the .SRT files, so it is now pretty clear what is being asked.

Thanks.SRT files are the subtitle files that go along with the videos. Most of the DJI drones can create these (you can shut them off in the menu). Play the matching videos in your vlc players and they'll show up on screen with data about lat/long, camera settings, altitude, etc.
Genius like always that's why I post my questions here.Thank YOU, Z28lt1.

The file ends in .srt.
Those SRT files can be opened and edited in any TXT editor, like NotePad. The automatically generated DJI file (when enabled) runs a continuous time stamp recording GPS location etc. But you can edit/delete any entries and add text of your own.

In YouTube you can add your own CC (closed caption) content to your videos, or simply upload any of your own pre-edited SRT files, which are an enormous help to hearing impaired viewers.

YouTube creates their own auto-generated CC files, but if there's background noise in your video it generally mangles whatever you're saying into total gibberish in the CC files. Uploading your own pre-edited SRT file ensures the accompanying CC text will accurately reflect what you're actually saying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998