DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wheelchair intreference

rollnfly

Reactions
Hi haven't received my mavic yet and I was wondering if my electric wheelchair will interfere with the mavic pro compass ?

You shouldn't calibrate the compass while the Mavic is near the wheelchair but once you've done this then I doubt you'll have any problem.

I can't speak directly to your wheelchair, but from my experience it takes a significant amount of metal (i.e. car, tractor, etc) to generate a warning. I would suspect you will be OK.

Im more worried about the motor magnets intrefering than the metal in my chair...more or less concern? I hope not I was hopeful that this could be an exciting hobby that I would be able to enjoy..

Im more worried about the motor magnets intrefering than the metal in my chair...more or less concern? I hope not I was hopeful that this could be an exciting hobby that I would be able to enjoy..

You should be fine, there are magnets in my iPad that sits directly on top of the RC. But you most likely will not be launching the Mavic from the chair but the ground or table maybe. It is the compass on board the Mavic that will cause issues. My uncle flys from an electric wheelchair and all is well. Enjoy the new hobby, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to post or even send me a PM. Oh btw can appreciate your forum name [emoji1360].

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
I just got my mavic and fired it up and I have a code of "magnetic interference check app". I asked the question before if my electric wheelchair would cause problems, and I hope that is the not case because this drone is really cool. what would you guys suggest . to be fair I have not been out in the open field.

I have had issues with magnetic interference with my drone. Whenever the drone travels more than100 miles north the IMU and the compass should be calibrated. My brother is in a chair also so I understand the electromagnetic interference. Ask a friend to help you calibrate both for you away from the chair. Once it's calibrated you should be fine.

I just got my mavic and fired it up and I have a code of "magnetic interference check app". I asked the question before if my electric wheelchair would cause problems, and I hope that is the not case because this drone is really cool. what would you guys suggest . to be fair I have not been out in the open field.

I get the exact same warning when indoors or even close to any large structure. The houses wiring, appliances, rebar in concrete within a structure reeks havoc on the Mavics compass. Many others have reported the same issue inside but then once moved outside to an open location things were fine.

cool. I'll be outstanding in my field tomorrow. well out sitting anyway. lol thanks for the encouragement .

Reactions: Jamison74
cool. I'll be outstanding in my field tomorrow. well out sitting anyway. lol thanks for the encouragement .

lol, oh I'm certain you will be. Let us know how it goes and if there are any other issues or concerns.

Well I took my mavic into the field today and I still was showing "magnetic interference see app" but I got daring and launched anyway, the drone preformed very well at relatively short distance and low altitude. From time to time the "GPS MODE" would pop up and then the MAGNETIC warning would not show. however by the time I burned through my second battery the controller was showing RED to calibrate the compass, so i think I will take woodchopper's advise and try having a friend do the calibration away from my chair.
Also is the DJI insurance worth it ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife