DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When buying a Mavic 2, do alot of research first.

Former Member

Reactions
Ever since the Mavic 2's release, people have been buying them and then having buyers remorse before they even open the box thinking that they bought the wrong one. "Maybe I should have bought the Zoom" or "Maybe I should have spent the extra money and bought the Pro." Don't let this be you. There are so many topics in this forum about the attributes of each one, wait until you are absolutely 100% sure about which features you want, and then you can pull the trigger. I always say that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My personal opinion after flying both of them for dozens of hours and owning 2 of each, I love the zoom for its ability to fly far away from a point of interest and bring objects closer, and the gimbal takes very good pictures and videos for my purposes. The pro has a better camera but to be honest for my purposes I wouldn't really be able to tell the difference.

Both drones fly almost identically, same chassis and same props. The only difference is the gimbal. That being said, figure out what your intention will be with the drone, and then decide on which gimbal. The price difference is around $250 between the zoom and the pro, so make sure that you can justify the extra money.

In terms of repairs, the zoom gimbal is a little more prone to damage. The gimbal is a little bit bigger than the pro and I've seen more repairs of the zoom then I have for the pro. But don't let that stop you. The zoom will only malfunction if it is crashed. If you dont crash, the gimbal will probably last the lifetime of teh drone.

Which one you choose is really up to you, but you can't go wrong with either one. After you buy it, charge your batteries, relax, enjoy the ride, and don't think too much!

Last edited:
Ever since the Mavic 2's release, people have been buying them and then having buyers remorse before they even open the box thinking that they bought the wrong one. "Maybe I should have bought the Zoom" or "Maybe I should have spent the extra money and bought the Pro." Don't let this be you. There are so many topics in this forum about the attributes of each one, wait until you are absolutely 100% sure about which features you want, and then you can pull the trigger. I always say that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My personal opinion after flying both of them for dozens of hours and owning 2 of each, I love the zoom for its ability to fly higher and bring objects closer, and the gimbal takes very good pictures and videos for my purposes. The pro has a better camera but to be honest for my purposes I wouldn't really be able to tell the difference.

Both drones fly almost identically, same chassis and same props. The only difference is the gimbal. That being said, figure out what your intention will be with the drone, and then decide on which gimbal. The price difference is around $250 between the zoom and the pro, so make sure that you can justify the extra money.

In terms of repairs, the zoom gimbal is a little more prone to damage. It's bigger than the pro and I've seen more repairs of the zoom then I have for the pro. But don't let that stop you. The zoom will only malfunction if it is crashed. If you dont crash, the gimbal will probably last the lifetime of teh drone.

Which one you choose is really up to you, but you can't go wrong with either one. After you buy it, charge your batteries, relax, enjoy the ride, and don't think too much!

And with the Pro Definitely make sure you have a very good editing computer with a very good graphics card

I think if people are new to photography, settle for Zoom. People who are really into photography seems to have eyes for pixel details where others just can't tell the difference. Unless you want to take night/low light shots, but in some countries, that's against regulation.

Reactions: mereflyer
And with the Pro Definitely make sure you have a very good editing computer with a very good graphics card

That is spot on!

I am spending 3X as much on the computer system as what the drone cost. Hope to have the computer up and running around the middle of next month. If I decide it's not my cup of tea then at least the wife can use it with her DSLR camera and the go-pro. LOL

I got the M2Pro for christmas 2018 and its been great. IMHO you dont have to be a pro editor. I never post edit anything and all the vids or pics i shoot are amazing. Ive had a P3A for the past 2 years and same thing , never post edit , just add music and serve.

I got the M2Pro for christmas 2018 and its been great. IMHO you dont have to be a pro editor. I never post edit anything and all the vids or pics i shoot are amazing. Ive had a P3A for the past 2 years and same thing , never post edit , just add music and serve.

This is a great response. You went from a P3A to a Mavic 2 Pro. How would you rate the picture quality for you and for what you do?

I didn’t really do any research on my M2P but I liked the idea of more pixels on the camera. I’m no photographer never even heard of Hasselblad but for me it was the best choice for learning photography which I’m thoughly enjoying at the mo.

Also it was the size, coming from an Inspire to a M2, no comparison.

Plus when I bought it it was the lastest model out, last September while on holiday, they didn’t have the zoom just the pro for sale.

Reactions: Former Member
I am getting ready to order a new computer for video / photo editing ( I have a Mavic Air and Mavic Pro2 )....what should I get in a new computer....any suggestions will be apreciated.

I am getting ready to order a new computer for video / photo editing ( I have a Mavic Air and Mavic Pro2 )....what should I get in a new computer....any suggestions will be apreciated.

You can go to "Blackmagicdesign.com" and look at their recommendations. I do not operate a motion picture studio so I cannot afford to act like one but if you read on their web site you can get a good idea of what you can get by with. If you plan to do a lot of color grading it might be worth investing in a good monitor. I believe my system is going to be a little upwards of $4.5k All I really want to do is be able to do a decent job of editing video and pictures, adding some titles, sound, special effects and of course some minor color grading. Nothing professional or for sale but just for my own enjoyment.

I might should add that the above advice is only pertinent if you plan to use DaVinci Resolve. This particular software requires lots of processor power. Good luck in your research!

If you flying and picture/video is just for basic 1080p or occationally 4K uploads for vlogging/family shots and your not a fan of much post editing and manual coulour grading - the M2Z is a great easy-flown bird with an excellent camera and lots of fun automated flight modes.
However - if you are working with your recordings and especially stills semi- or professionally, then M2P's 20MP variable aperture camera can't be beaten in its RAW format. Simply because of the light gathered in the bigger sensor and the photographers choice of aperture. It's more or less the same (nacked eye) in DJI's JPEG/Cine auto mode translation as the M2Z camera regular jpg's/cine mode - but in RAW (stills) and the D-LOG Video mode, it's fantastic for it's size/price and sticked to a easy flown, stabil and strong motored (wind fighting) framework as the mavic 2.
So it all depends on how you want to use them and how much work your want to use in post? If post editing, RAW picture processing and colour grading isn't your thing, you can't really utilizes the fantastic camera of the M2P and might more enjoy the ease of the M2Z cine/JPEG ready output? Using a M2P in normal/auto mode for stills and video would more or less look the same to an untrained eye as on the M2Z. The M2P however shines, when used RAW/D-LOG, then again that's a lot of post work on flat image/video files.
They are both great drones, that can get you great results. None is better then the other (same hardware/framework/motors/software/RC) - it depends on usage and purpose of the operator.

Last edited:

I’d disagree. Lumafusion on iPad is really excellent.had no issues with file handling. Plus they are improving it all the time. Remarkable app. For images lightroom app is more than ok. Although I do 99% of any stills via my Mac. That’s simply down to the amount of presets I have on it (5gb).

We Talk UAV has a great video that really eviscerates the idea that you need DLOG and .265 to make amazing footage with the pro. It's a better camera. Hands down. Even with the basic settings.

Reactions: 747P4
I’d disagree. Lumafusion on iPad is really excellent.had no issues with file handling. Plus they are improving it all the time. Remarkable app. For images lightroom app is more than ok. Although I do 99% of any stills via my Mac. That’s simply down to the amount of presets I have on it (5gb).

I use Lumafusion on my iPad Pro with no problems. It certainly doesn't justify spending X amount on a high end PC.

Yes, I agree, there is "some" difference between the photo quality but the ability to zoom is a game changer. I am glad I chose the zoom over the pro.

For my use the huge amount of exposure latitude the Mavic 2 Pro offers is a game changer, as much as I liked my original Mavic the lack of dynamic range and latitude in the 1/2.3in sensor. You can see the difference below, the unprocessed photo on the left and the processed one on the right:

MP2_Compared-L.png

I'm not saying the pro is for everyone but just showing the Pro has its advantages as well. I agree with the thread to think carefully over what you want from a Mavic to make the right choice.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian