DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When do you use your Gimbal clamp?

larkin

Reactions
It's been pointed out that applying the gimbal clamp to the delicate camera is a bit annoying. I'm not sure if it's the latest firmware but my camera is pretty stationary now when the drone is off, even without the clamp. When traveling I'll definitely put the camera cover on but considering not putting the clamp on when only traveling short distance with it in the car (trips under an hour).

What do you all think? Is it advisable to apply the clamp anytime you transport the drone even short distances (down the block) or do you only use the clamp on occasion?

Pretty stable camera, what could go wrong driving with it for 30m?

Last edited:
I use the gimbal clamp whenever the Mavic is being transported, it takes a little practice but I find it's quick to click in and out now.

John

Reactions: dewster
Always. As soon as I pick it up from flying. Turn it over, tilt the nose of the Mavic slightly up and it goes right on. Couldn't be easier.

I personally use it all the time along with the globe. No reason to chance that tiny little camera getting damaged. YMMV.

Reactions: BD0G
Is it advisable to apply the clamp anytime you transport the drone even short distances (down the block) or do you only use the clamp on occasion?
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always use the clamp when I'm carrying/transporting my Mavic. OK it can be a bit fiddly to fit at first, but the gimbal seems such a delicate mechanism that I'd rather not worry about bumping the bag, or when traveling over my very bumpy local roads.

Always use the gimbal clamp as soon as you're done flying. That will also help ensure you don't lose the clamp, because it's always on the gimbal. There is a short video that will aid you in installing the clamp quickly and easily. Look in your DJI Go4 app -> Academy -> Tutorials for Beginners -> Attaching the Gimbal Clamp

Micro rips in the flex cables that run to the gimbal motors. Over time when the camera bounces around the potential is greater for developing micro rips.

Reactions: larkin
It's been pointed out that applying the gimbal clamp to the delicate camera is a bit annoying. I'm not sure if it's the latest firmware but my camera is pretty stationary now when the drone is off, even without the clamp. When traveling I'll definitely put the camera cover on but considering not putting the clamp on when only traveling short distance with it in the car (trips under an hour).

What do you all think? Is it advisable to apply the clamp anytime you transport the drone even short distances (down the block) or do you only use the clamp on occasion?

Pretty stable camera, what could go wrong driving with it for 30m?
I use it all the time, and here's why, just last week my Mavic was on my table after having come back from a great flight. I had the cover on and the clamp in place. I knocked my Mavic off of the table by accident and it hit on the belly of the Mavic and knocked the cover right off. If the clamp hadn't been in place the shock may have destroyed the gimbal and I would have cried. Fortunately the Mavic took no damage since the impact was evenly distributed across the base of the Mavic.

Reactions: BD0G
People are probably over protective on this. Obviously, the gimbal is able to survive flight, takeoff and landing, and handling stresses. When set up and horizontal, the gimbal is hanging, straight down on the supports as it is designed and transport in this configuration, would be no worse than flight, unless being bounced over rough terrain, etc. Once folded and turned end up, as in the bag etc, the clamp definitely relieves stress on the band's and ribbon cables.

But, all this said, why not just put it on whenever the flight is over, since it really is a simple process, and eliminates any question?

BTW, putting the clamp on is not causing undue stress as the worst you are doing is moving the components within their normal range if motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: larkin
I use it all the time, and here's why, just last week my Mavic was on my table after having come back from a great flight. I had the cover on and the clamp in place. I knocked my Mavic off of the table by accident and it hit on the belly of the Mavic and knocked the cover right off. If the clamp hadn't been in place the shock may have destroyed the gimbal and I would have cried. Fortunately the Mavic took no damage since the impact was evenly distributed across the base of the Mavic.
Sounds like you need to put on the gimbal clamp and than immediately use the table top "Mavic Clamp" someone is sure to now design...[emoji12]

People are probably over protective on this. Obviously, the gimbal is able to survive flight, takeoff and landing, and handling stresses. When set up and horizontal, the gimbal is hanging, straight down on the supports as it is designed and transport in this configuration, would be no worse than flight, unless being bounced over rough terrain, etc. Once folded and turned end up, as in the bag etc, the clamp definitely relieves stress on the band's and ribbon cables.

But, all this said, why not just put it on whenever the flight is over, since it really is a simple process, and eliminates any question?

BTW, putting the clamp on is not causing undue stress as the worst you are doing is moving the components within their normal range if motion.

The gimbal motors are stabilizing the gimbal when powered on and in flight . The gimbal can sling and bounce all over the place and exceed its designed limits when not powered . Use the Clamp .

The gimbal motors are stabilizing the gimbal when powered on and in flight . The gimbal can sling and bounce all over the place and exceed its designed limits when not powered . Use the Clamp .
Good explanation. I just wish the folks that designed it actually made it simpler. It's not "that bad" but it could be simpler/easier.

Good explanation. I just wish the folks that designed it actually made it simpler. It's not "that bad" but it could be simpler/easier.
You could even imagine a design where the motor that controls camera tilt could engage a built in lock. That would be nice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka