DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When practicing becomes more than just not crashing

RustyBonz

Ex PMA-281
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’m lucky enough to live next to a fallow corn field. It’s clear for about 8 acres. Great place to practice getting a feel for stick moves, backwards, sideways, way up, way out (using just instruments and tele-empathy.) Also a great place to shag golf balls/wedges only. Had the brilliant idea of employing intelligent modes to record myself hitting 20 balls at a time in 5 minutes.
Even parked the bird almost as a airborne target- just out of reach. Drone. Golf. Sun. Fresh air. Problem was I made a mistake that took me awhile to digest. All intelligent modes not created equal. The active tracks don’t automatically record as do the Quick Shots. My brain heard intelligent modes automatically record. I parked my drone in spotlight and hit 40 balls. Zero recording. Bummer. Learning the hard way is still learning....

Bummer.. Second try is always better prepared. I always go home thinking about how I could have done it better. You are lucky to live next to a great practice field. You should try to get a yearlong timelapse of the corn field growing up and then harvested. that would be so cool!

Reactions: RustyBonz
There is sooo much to learn with these drones. Especially if you want to do some quite professional looking videos. So many settings you have to do the right way. It's all learning by doing, or watching YouTube ?

I’m lucky enough to live next to a fallow corn field. It’s clear for about 8 acres. Great place to practice getting a feel for stick moves, backwards, sideways, way up, way out (using just instruments and tele-empathy.) Also a great place to shag golf balls/wedges only. Had the brilliant idea of employing intelligent modes to record myself hitting 20 balls at a time in 5 minutes.
Even parked the bird almost as a airborne target- just out of reach. Drone. Golf. Sun. Fresh air. Problem was I made a mistake that took me awhile to digest. All intelligent modes not created equal. The active tracks don’t automatically record as do the Quick Shots. My brain heard intelligent modes automatically record. I parked my drone in spotlight and hit 40 balls. Zero recording. Bummer. Learning the hard way is still learning....
Of course this brings to mind the old joke...."How do I get into Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, man, practice."

I have yet to pick up the tele-empathy transmitter to improve my airborne moods ... err, moves.

My biggest mistake, one that I still make from time to time, is pressing the recording button and forgetting that it was already on (or off). So for awhile, I would be pressing the button to turn recording off, but thinking I'm turning it on, and vice versa. So I get footage, but it's mostly useless.

Chris

I have yet to pick up the tele-empathy transmitter to improve my airborne moods ... err, moves.

My biggest mistake, one that I still make from time to time, is pressing the recording button and forgetting that it was already on (or off). So for awhile, I would be pressing the button to turn recording off, but thinking I'm turning it on, and vice versa. So I get footage, but it's mostly useless.

Chris
Yeah. With all the sophisticated hardware and software on these birds, it would be great if they could stupid proof them! The smarter they get the dumber I become! It was great when I could blame mistakes on the tech. ;)

Yeah. With all the sophisticated hardware and software on these birds, it would be great if they could stupid proof them! The smarter they get the dumber I become! It was great when I could blame mistakes on the tech. ;)
I am glad to learn that I am not the only one who is always confused with the record button. I think it is a poor DJI design actually. I think there should have been a separate camera icon and a separate video icon. The "camera on" or shutter release should be white, and the "video on" button should be RED not orange. With every other video camera I have ever seen, it is red, not orange. I am attaching a file for an example

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.42.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.42.16 AM.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.43.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.43.57 AM.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 22
That would be a neat video ??
Great idea. Today I heard the roar of heavy equipment afoot. Like a cub reporter, I grabbed my ready case, had 1 charged in the chamber. My other 2 were spent waiting charge. I drove over to see the corn field being tended by a disc harrow (I think)- got footage, I checked for sure recording status several times, altitude, subject in frame, watch out for trees. Yes there is a lot to keep in mind.
I would post an 18 second 2.9MB file that I clipped using FCP X and compressor to make an M4v file. I think I’m only allowed to post photos??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Bummer.. Second try is always better prepared. I always go home thinking about how I could have done it better. You are lucky to live next to a great practice field. You should try to get a yearlong timelapse of the corn field growing up and then harvested. that would be so cool!
I’ve started. I had tons of just the blank field. Today the tractor was turning over the soil. Grabbed my ready kit and got footage of a target rich otherwise boring field. Recording- Verified. Don’t know how to post video tho. For this one I have all summer to learn?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Great idea. Today I heard the roar of heavy equipment afoot. Like a cub reporter, I grabbed my ready case, had 1 charged in the chamber. My other 2 were spent waiting charge. I drove over to see the corn field being tended by a disc harrow (I think)- got footage, I checked for sure recording status several times, altitude, subject in frame, watch out for trees. Yes there is a lot to keep in mind.
I would post an 18 second 2.9MB file that I clipped using FCP X and compressor to make an M4v file. I think I’m only allowed to post photos??
Post you video to YouTube or similar, copy the share link there, paste that into your post, and when you post it a preview will appear with the controls to play here.
You can’t post video here directly.... it will look kind of like this:

I’ve started. I had tons of just the blank field. Today the tractor was turning over the soil. Grabbed my ready kit and got footage of a target rich otherwise boring field. Recording- Verified. Don’t know how to post video tho. For this one I have all summer to learn?
Videos can be uploaded on You Tube and Vimeo and then you can attach the link to those here. Vimeo had a free plan with limited GB but enough for starting out.

Reactions: Thomas B
Videos can be uploaded on You Tube and Vimeo and then you can attach the link to those here. Vimeo had a free plan with limited GB but enough for starting out.
Whoops. Thomas also just posted the same information.

Post you video to YouTube or similar, copy the share link there, paste that into your post, and when you post it a preview will appear with the controls to play here.
You can’t post video here directly.... it will look kind of like this:
Very cool. Thanks for guidance. Liked your vid, majestic sunrise , then a transition to sunset. Nice,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo