DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When Selling Drone - Check List for Deregistering - DJI and FAA

cammot53

Reactions
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I am getting ready to part with my DJI Mavic Pro 2 that I sold on the Facebook marketplace. The process I am following is first to ensure that payments has been received and secure. The second step is to remove all personal registrations attached to the drone, i.e. deregister the drone from my DJI profile on their website, and deregister any FAA info that links my name to the specific drone. I

Question: is there anything that I might have missed above, or any suggestion that would ease the process to completion?

Thanks

Reactions: Torque
The second step is to remove all personal registrations attached to the drone, i.e. deregister the drone from my DJI profile on their website
Not necessary (or possible).

and deregister any FAA info that links my name to the specific drone.
It you only registered for recreational flying, there's nothing to do as the FAA has no details about your drone, just about you.

Not necessary (or possible).

It you only registered for recreational flying, there's nothing to do as the FAA has no details about your drone, just about you.
I believe the prior comment means removing any non-permanent FAA registration markings (i.e. stickers) from the drone which is not absolutely required (for recreational flyers) but a good idea to do so prior to shipping the drone to it's new owner.

Also The FAA website (called FAADroneZone) has recently changed. For recreational flyers, there is this section where you add and cancel specific drones and their details (including make, model, and serial number) from your registration:

Your Inventory​

ADD DEVICE
Recreational flyers must add manufacturer and model information for all UAS over 0.55 pounds that they own and operate. For standard remote identification UAS or broadcast modules, you’ll also be required to provide the serial number. Each broadcast module serial number may only be entered once to your inventory, even if shared with more than one recreational UAS.

Nowhere that I can find does it say inventory management is absolutely required but the mechanism is available for the recreational flyer even though you continue to use a single registration number for all of your drone. I do not know if the new owner can add his new drone (and serial number) to his registration if you do not cancel yours.

If a smart controller is included MOVE all the DAT and txt logs from the controller to some other storage or DELETE those logs. Also LOG OUT of the control app.
If the controller is an RC1A or an RC1B then all that is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougMcC and Torque
Thanks for your replies. Does the controller have a separate registration Number?
On the FAA website (FAADroneZone) I had my drone listed under inventory and was able to cancel it as sold. I also received a screen stating that my drone registration (number) has been canceled. I am now trying to unbinding it from the Dji website, still can't do it.

The DJI chat stated that I don't have to unbind it !!. Is this correct ?, if not should I unbind and how or where. Thanks
My understanding is you don't need to do anything on the DJI website.

The DJI binding stuff started with recent FLY app using drones.
It is NOT applicable to a your drone.
Did you read what I wrote about the controller and logs?

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I am getting ready to part with my DJI Mavic Pro 2 that I sold on the Facebook marketplace. The process I am following is first to ensure that payments has been received and secure. The second step is to remove all personal registrations attached to the drone, i.e. deregister the drone from my DJI profile on their website, and deregister any FAA info that links my name to the specific drone. I

Question: is there anything that I might have missed above, or any suggestion that would ease the process to completion?

Thanks
Remove your SD card.

It may be obvious but if you're making a checklist, you put the obvious things on it too.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I have the reverse question. I’ve bought four Mavics over the years. To my knowledge, only one owner had registered himself with the F.A.A., and he removed his sticker. I’m unsure if any of the previous owners informed D.J.I. of their transfer of ownership.

I’m inferring from these explanations that, beyond attaching my own F.A.A. registration numbers (the same on every drone I fly), I have nothing else to do.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks
I'm sure you've done this already, but don't forget to clear your information from DJI and FAA records. Also, make sure to do a factory reset on the drone. This will remove any of your stuff so the new owner can start using it from the beginning.

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR