DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to change props

balancing the folding prop is a bit tricky. usually folding props can let to tighten the screw that holds a half of the propeller in the assembly hub. google a 'how do you balance a folding prop' topic. usually a well balanced prop lasts as long as it takes to smack the model into a tree or asphalt, or anything hard enough to damage the prop and a result of that is very visible, usually. do not fly with a damaged prop, ever - as it increases vibrations above the threshold that keeps model stable and then different firmware may act differently. just to replace it every 10hrs if prop is perfectly fine is not needed. to pre-balance all props to make sure you not introducing unnecessary vibrations is a smart thing to do.
Also vibrations severely affect bearing life. It didn’t take much of a chunk missing for the prop to run out of balance. Any damage, change the prop, cheap insurance.

I noticed one prop/motor appendage vibrating excessively so replaced that prop

I have just replaced all my DJI M2 zoom props after about 40 flights, finding tares in the trailing edges of all of them. Two weeks later after only 3 flights one of them had also developed a slight tare. This can only have happened by sliding it in and out of the DJI bag as I found it quite easy to tare the blades with my fingers. Is this another reason for removing them after every flight for storage?

Props are so cheap that I would change them regularly even if they don't necessarily seem like they need it. Every 200 flights is the official DJI recommendation. Also if there is even the slightest bit of damage on them, replace. A full set is only $30, and lots of places will sell them to you less than that.

I have just replaced all my DJI M2 zoom props after about 40 flights, finding tares in the trailing edges of all of them. Two weeks later after only 3 flights one of them had also developed a slight tare. This can only have happened by sliding it in and out of the DJI bag as I found it quite easy to tare the blades with my fingers. Is this another reason for removing them after every flight for storage?

Do you mean tear instead of tare? If so, how can you tear the blades with your fingers?

Is there any real difference between the gold tipped props and the silver tipped props besides the paint?
Im assuming you mean on the Mavic Pro Platinum 'quiet' prop's -yes? Absolutely no physical difference what-so-ever (except the paint colour of course!).

I have had my Mavic for 2 years. I replaced the props 2 weeks ago. I just did it because I thought 2 years was enough for a set of props. I fly a ton figured I would drop a couple of bucks and get a new set.

I change the props out at the same time as oiling the bearings, every 2,000km

I bought the mavic when it first came out and flew with the original set of blades until I sold it last week. They had some minor bug damage and I am sure it wasn't optimal but it didn't fall out of the sky or anything. Looking at the new blades on my mavic 2 Pro I was surprised to see how aggressive the angle was. That or I flew my old blades until they went near flat. ;)

I bought the mavic when it first came out and flew with the original set of blades until I sold it last week. They had some minor bug damage and I am sure it wasn't optimal but it didn't fall out of the sky or anything. Looking at the new blades on my mavic 2 Pro I was surprised to see how aggressive the angle was. That or I flew my old blades until they went near flat. ;)
Just for your info ... The Mavic Pro's prop's have a 3.0 inch pitch ... The Mav' 2 Pro has 4.3 inch pitch - quite a difference in design and performance!

Reactions: DebianDog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair