DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to use a polorizer vs ND filter

hassanchop

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

I've tried to watch a bunch of videos polarizers (used to reduce reflections and get more clouds to pop) vs ND filters (used as sunglasses for the Mavic) but I'm still have a hard time figuring out when to use which one.

I'm at the beach and I'm shooting in Dlog and plan to color grade after but I want to capture the clouds in one shot. In the next shot I want to make sure I capture beautifule color of the water.

Any advice would be great. I have a set of polarizers and ND filters currently. I definitely use the ND filters during the day to keep the my frame rate at 1/50 since I'm shooting at 24 fps.

I think my question is more on polarizers and if there are any benefits to them.

Last edited:
Well, I think may have answered your own question - if you want the color to pop a bit more and more-over reduce water glare, use a polarizer - note that a polarizer does reduce the amount of overall light as well, kind of like an ND filter, but unlike an ND filter whatever that light reduction is, it is not apparent or marked on the polarizer as far as I have seen.

Polarizers are helpful as you mentioned to reduce reflected light off vegetation, water, metallic and similar surfaces. They are often used in still photos to suppress the lights I mentioned while usually losing another two stops of lighting. Now their degree of effectiveness is entirely based on the position and height of the sun relative to the axis of the lens. Usually 90 degrees is the sweet spot. So where your drone is relative to sun is KEY. Prior to take off you can hand hold the polarizer and estimate the effect. Shooting into a sunset or sunrise it would have no effect ( 0 degree off access) Try this link to explore this subject with real experts online - unlike this retired physician sitting in his living room in California. Polarizers have a role in well planned still photography and not so much for moving video recording.

Reactions: Cirdan
Hey Everyone,

I've tried to watch a bunch of videos polarizers (used to reduce reflections and get more clouds to pop) vs ND filters (used as sunglasses for the Mavic) but I'm still have a hard time figuring out when to use which one.

I'm at the beach and I'm shooting in Dlog and plan to color grade after but I want to capture the clouds in one shot. In the next shot I want to make sure I capture beautifule color of the water.

Any advice would be great. I have a set of polarizers and ND filters currently. I definitely use the ND filters during the day to keep the my frame rate at 1/50 since I'm shooting at 24 fps.

I think my question is more on polarizers and if there are any benefits to them.
Go to this page on the PolarPro site, then scroll down for drone ND and below it NDPL. The links on the resulting pages should explain it to you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas