DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

when using fpv goggles how do i do vlos ??

nigel

Reactions
just wondered when using fpv goggles how do i KNOW WHEN I LOSE vlos ??
hope you can understand that and not just leave sarcastic remarks about other peoples inabilities to ask questions correctly

Last edited:
There is only one (1) correct answer to this ? : Duh!

I AM NOT A YORKSHIREMAN so thats your second guessing game stuffed
for anyone with a bit of decorum let me try to ask again
if i am using virtual goggles how do i know i have reached VLOS without the goggles

The problem with FPV goggles is that if you use them then by definition you are not flying by visual line of site (VLOS). This is why your question is hard to answer exactly as phrased but hope this helps you.

VLOS requires you to have your eyes on the drone for situational awareness. If you are using FPV goggles then you cannot meet the requirement.

In the US, I would assume the use of an observer would qualify.

Reactions: nigel
If push comes to shove I would bet they are only truely authorized within a closed race course or some such event. We're in a ..one rule covers all..hobby/sport.
I do have a 107 and I have studied the rules but...I also know what happens when the FAA starts applying their interpretation. The old saying about the FAA- friendly aviation administration..we're not happy unless you're un-happy..doesn't seem like a joke at times.

just wondered when using fpv goggles how do i KNOW WHEN I LOSE vlos ??
hope you can understand that and not just leave sarcastic remarks about other peoples inabilities to ask questions correctly
Have you actually purchased said fpv goggles yet? Other responses give the answer to your question, but consider this if you haven't. If you have the financial means Epson Moverio BT-300 or BT-35 HUD glasses may be what you need to experience being in the "cockpit" of your UAV whilst still maintaining VLOS as well as situational awareness since by adjusting your eyes' focus you can see through the camera image & telemetry on the glasses, as well as round the periphery of them. No need for a spotter by your side at all.

Last edited:
You're supposed to have someone with you keeping an eye out for obstructions and aircraft.

Have you actually purchased said fpv goggles yet? Other responses give the answer to your question, but consider this if you haven't. If you have the financial means Epson Moverio BT-300 or BT-35 HUD glasses may be what you need to experience being in the "cockpit" of your UAV whilst still maintaining VLOS as well as situational awareness since by adjusting your eyes' focus you can see through the camera image & telemetry on the glasses, as well as round the periphery of them. No need for a spotter by your side at all.

That is correct, I have the BT-35e smart glasses and they do take some getting used to. I fly my drone with the Smart Controller that power the glasses from the HDMI port, I have VLOS and FPV by not staring at either but by glancing from one to the other. As I said it takes some getting used to but with practice it is fine, it is exactly the same as a pilot glancing through the cockpit window checking all around and then glancing at the controls to make adjustments and as such is legal. You will never get the fully immersive FPV experience using this method as you cannot concentrate on the FPV for any length of time as the majority of time is spent maintaining VLOS but out in the open it is both fine and legal.
To complement this I will add that I fly mostly out in open countryside and would not fly in areas that require the 150 mtr rule or in more built up areas carrying out work without a spotter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661