DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When will DJI add a 4:3 or a 3:2 aspect ratio to video mode?

Snah

Reactions
Mavic 2 Pro, 20MP, 5472×3648 = native ratio of 3:2.

It would be easy to make a supersampled/pixel binned 3:2 video mode by dividing this full sensor resolution by two: 2736x1824 would give you a ratio of 3:2 for example.

It’s really a shame to lose all that height in the image when shooting in video mode.

I love shooting videos in 4:3 and 3:2 so it’s just so frustrating having to choose 16:9 and then crop even more off the sides to get a 4:3. What a waste.

Is there no firmware update possible to add this feature?

Sorry for asking this since I know it’s a lost cause I just wish there was some way of fixing it.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I wish there was a hacked firmware that added some useful camera features. Instead all we get are hacked firmware that does some illegal stuff like removing height limits or no fly zones... which is unappealing boring for most users.

I'm curious as to why you prefer shooting 4:3 ? I would assume that using more of the sensor is limited simply because of the processing power needed.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I'm curious as to why you prefer shooting 4:3 ? I would assume that using more of the sensor is limited simply because of the processing power needed.
Here is a good video explaining why shooting with the full sensor size is useful:

Yesterday I was shooting some landscape shots with a person as the subject. I wanted to clearly be able to frame the sky and the ground together with the subject and the 16:9 was really not helping. It took a lot of effort to squeeze in everything and I had to keep pushing the drone further away from the subject, which limited the perspective of the shot.

I wish there was a hacked firmware that added some useful camera features. Instead all we get are hacked firmware that does some illegal stuff like removing height limits or no fly zones... which is unappealing boring for most users.
Yeah, I wished there would be too, like in the good old MagicLantern days of the 5D Mark II ... but this is not going to happen anymore due to the restrictions of the manufactuers. They know, that so many great things can be achieved by software that they'll probably start losing money with their more expensive drones.

Sadly ...

The M2P is already quite limited in processing power, which is why it has to subsample 4K footage if you want full FOV. If it can't even properly oversample it's 4K video as it is, it's also not going to be able to let you shoot in 3:2 with the full sensor.

As for why they don't offer a cropped or subsampled version of 3:2 (they don't use binning), I don't have an answer but my guess would be that 99% of M2P users do not wish to shoot in anything other than 16:9 as that is the aspect ratio virtually all final results will be viewed on, so they don't bother. Sucks for those who want it, but the overwhelming majority aren't affected.

I'm pretty sure even the Mavic 3 will not shoot 4:3 or 3:2 video but please correct me if I'm wrong. It will however do 5.1K at 1.9:1.

For what you want to do, you might be better off with a drone that can shoot higher resolution oversampled footage so that when you do crop to your desired ratio, you aren't losing as much quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan