DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When you lose your Mavic

Geo

Reactions
There's no worse feeling than when you realize your Mavic is gone. Happens to everyone at some point. I've had it happen at least 3 times on just my Mavic. When it happens it's like a heart attack, you have a fixed amount of time to fix things.
The last time for me was when I was flying in winds I shouldn't have been flying in. No matter how hard I tried, the drone would not come back. The wind was pushing it away from me. I reached the point where you say, it's gone. The key to finding it is in your phone. But it is slowly losing the important info as your battery in the drone goes dead (not good for the battery if it does go dead). So you have 15-30 minutes to find the drone. So go to the opening page on DJI GO 4. Where it says, Enter Device. Up in the right corner are 3 bars, click and the menu pops down. Click on, Find My Drone. There it is, or where it was the last time it got a signal from the drone. Now go there. It was 3 miles away for me. Now if that is where it crashed or landed, you are it luck, there it is. I've had this happen twice :>) . Now if the problem was that it went out of range, the marker is only where it lost contact, but this time my Mavic continued beyond this point. So after 30 minutes of not finding it, I gave up and turned off the remote and program on my phone. It was not at the point showing on the phone. In 1 last desperate attempt to find it, I turned it all back on. Low and behold it acquired the Mavic and was showing a different spot on the map, about a quarter mile away. I went to that area and in about 3 minutes there it was stuck in a tree branch. Had to go get a ladder and got it down. No damage whatsoever. Now I have the carbon fiber plate on the bottom of my Mavic and it completely protected the gimbal assembly. It would have been smashed otherwise. Good $7 investment.
So my point is that as long as the Mavic has power left, it is transmitting its location. Get to the point it is showing on the map. If not there, turn everything off. So now it connects to the Mavic when you turn the remote back on. If you are close to it or even 1-2 miles from it, you will see where it is. It is pretty pinpoint too. Remember, if there are trees around, look up. That's where mine was.
I have gotten my drone back everytime I lost it. Once it was on the bottom of a lake in the Rocky mountains and I got it back (1000 mile RTH remains the record). So if you lose it remember, you have the tools to get it back and you will if you just keep trying.

Reactions: scoobyslippers
Interesting thread..... I'm not sure it happens to EVERYONE but I do see the point you are making about finding a lost drone :)

Reactions: Kilrah
I'm new to drones, but isn't there a rule that says line of sight? How do see a small drone 3 miles away? Almost all of the "I lost/crashed my drone" are user error. It's not difficult people, don't be stupid.

Reactions: wytnyt
I'm new to drones, but isn't there a rule that says line of sight? How do see a small drone 3 miles away? Almost all of the "I lost/crashed my drone" are user error. It's not difficult people, don't be stupid.
VLOS is a rule that many break,i guess because the mavic can travel 4.5 miles then they have to do it,my car speedo says it can go 150,guess it means i can do it...:)

Reactions: colinfowler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johngmurray