DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are most people launching from?

Skerrabrae

Reactions
This may have been discussed previously but looking for the most recent information. With VLOS, all videos are obviously not taken within 200m of a park that allows UAS.

I see many videos of people showing areas which have ordinances against launching/landing in parks and recreational areas. So I’m wondering, where are people launching from in these instances?

If you launch from a parking garage or parking lot (car park), I’d imagine law enforcement or security would soon arrive asking if you have permission from the property owner.

If you launch from sidewalks, this also seems like authorities would tell you this is not allowed, even if there is no official ordinance against this. Not to mention if you are within view of any homes or businesses, I’m sure a “concerned“ citizen will ensure authorities arrive even sooner.

So far, I have only launched from parks that I confirmed I can launch from but there are many more areas I’d like to capture that are not within VLOS of a park. Airspace is not the issue, there is plenty of uncontrolled or LAANC available airspace, the takeoff/landing zones are the issue.

Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: TommyP
I have launched from just about every possible location... roadside, parking garage, empty lot, etc and never had a problem. If you're looking to fly OVER and area with drone restrictions just make sure you're following ALL FAA and local laws (land use etc). If the property owner/manager went so far as to state No Drones you can bet they will call the authorities when they see/hear it flying overhead and it's fairly easy to follow it back to the operator.

Remember VLOS isn't an option... it is the law.

Launch from a lot of places. Parking lots, side of roads, etc. Depends on where I'm flying and WHAT I'm flying over. I've flown over state parks with NO UAV signage - but outside the park boundaries.

Finding SAFE PLACES to take-off and land are pretty easy. As long as it's public property and not in a NO FLY ZONE, which I do check before flying - then I FLY. If cops, park rangers, or others ask me what I'm doing - I tell them. Some are just inquisitive and want to know more - so start a conversation with them. If they state it is NOT ALLOWED, then safely land your drone, say you're sorry but you checked for signage and restricted zones before flying, and then leave. Maybe follow up to see if that person in fact knows what they are talking about (city ordnances / etc.). If they were simply stating non-facts, then get the name of the individual you spoke with and title; for future reference if you fly from that spot again and again are questioned.

Never, ever be a jerk about it. Simply land the drone and move somewhere else to fly.

This may have been discussed previously but looking for the most recent information. With VLOS, all videos are obviously not taken within 200m of a park that allows UAS.

I see many videos of people showing areas which have ordinances against launching/landing in parks and recreational areas. So I’m wondering, where are people launching from in these instances?

If you launch from a parking garage or parking lot (car park), I’d imagine law enforcement or security would soon arrive asking if you have permission from the property owner.

If you launch from sidewalks, this also seems like authorities would tell you this is not allowed, even if there is no official ordinance against this. Not to mention if you are within view of any homes or businesses, I’m sure a “concerned“ citizen will ensure authorities arrive even sooner.

So far, I have only launched from parks that I confirmed I can launch from but there are many more areas I’d like to capture that are not within VLOS of a park. Airspace is not the issue, there is plenty of uncontrolled or LAANC available airspace, the takeoff/landing zones are the issue.

Thanks for any advice.
Just watch these videos daily and you will have your answer.

My favorites are off my deck, pontoon in the summertime and with the Rescue Jack on, from the lake surface.
I have taken off from my driveway or off of my landing pad at the park.

Reactions: NG Wildman
You're missing out on a lot. Why limit yourself to one spot, get out there and see the scenery.
That is very true.

And limiting oneself to only approved parks also misses out on a lot, hence my question. Flying around a little quad copter is fun but my primary goal is obtaining interesting landscapes and cityscapes. I have seen some amazing footage but very rarely does this show the takeoff or landing spot. When it does, it is typically a park or beach.

I have been watching many videos of local locations to learn by example. When I cross reference these areas I know for VLOS launch locations, using both google maps and my own experience, the only options I can find are parkings lots or sidewalks. So I guess as long as you are not over people or cars, that is ok, at least until you are told it is not.

I'll probably start with further distance shots for cities anyway. Aside from the launch location issue, I'm not comfortable enough with how the wind could become an issue in areas between taller buildings.

I have a side of a cardboard box in the car. An X in black painted on it.
It is easy for the mini to take off in long grass or rocky ground.
Landing is easy to see the black X and land on the spot.

Generally launch from landing pad on surfaces like sand, dirt, rocks, etc. Usually recover in my hand.

With regard to cityscapes, legal considerations aside, the thing in my mind concerning such flights is, what happens if some thing goes wrong and the drone falls? Can the pilot cover damage to property costs let alone any injury costs? For that reason alone they are not something I will ever contemplate.

So far for me, it's been my Construction site, my backyard once and a park once. but maaaaaan the places I want to video..............

Ironically I just made a post about sort of the same thing, but ABOUT someone that's "getting those great shots" and NOT following VLOS, Altitude (possibly) restrictions, flying over interstate, and posts them on YouTube.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I generally launch and recover on the hood of my Chev Tahoe. So often the ground is not really clean (not that my hood is all that clean either but at least the “dirt” isn’t loose) and I try and keep my Air 2 away from dirt/sand/gravel etc. I pop the hood, get out and raise it an inch or two to make it more level and then “go”. I was taking pictures of railroad equipment one day and a fellow stops and tells me that I’m on railroad property and trespassing. I let him know (very nicely) that there were no signs (we were just 10 feet off the street). He said he knew but we’d have land and leave. “Not a problem, let me reel it in and we’ll be gone.” I maneuvered back to the Tahoe, landed on the hood and he sez ”Nice landing!”. We left!

Reactions: pelagic_one
I tend to walk the general area I plan to fly making mental notes of my surroundings. The handful of times I’ve seen law enforcement/security, I made a few minutes of small talk before finding a nearby place to take-off. I think it pays dividends. Just a few weeks ago, security chased off a handful of people no more than 50 feet away from where I was flying and left me alone. They knew I was there to fly and not to steal or vandalize the property. Plus, if they tell me I can’t fly there (right or wrong) I’d rather have that conversation before take-off than when my MA2 is up in the air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada