DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are you flying your Mini 2 without problems in Vancouver?

Andy1076

Reactions
Hi Everyone! I apologize if this is something everyone has already answered, but I was curious as to where everyone has flown their Mini 2 without troubles? I keep seeing all these scary warnings and threats of fines in so many places, yet I see great Youtube videos all the same? So, I was hoping someone could suggest good places they have been that I could try as a brand new Mini 2 owner. Thank you so much in advance! ?

A lot of those great YouTube videos are taken in ways that would get scary fines if the pilots are caught.

I assume you're already familiar with the Transport Canada guidelines and regulations:

BC Parks prohibits operation within Provincial Parks. Many conservation areas also prohibit drones.

Virtally all of Vancouver is Class C controlled airspace. Your Mini can fly there as long as you fly in a safe manner, but you might get hassled by someone who doesn't know the rules for micro drones. Here are the TC guidelines:
  • maintain the drone in direct line of sight
  • do not fly your drone above 400 feet in the air
  • keep a safe distance between your drone and any bystanders
  • stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • avoid flying near critical infrastructures
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time
  • do a pre-flight inspection of your drone
  • keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller
  • avoid advertised events
Note that other than the altitude limits there aren't any hard numbers, which means that it's a judgement call. If you're a new pilot, be cautious. Pick a deserted, open area and get used to the controls. Sports fields just after sunrise are often deserted and make great places to practice.

Having a friend with you to act as a spotter and keep bystanders away (especially when trying to land) would be useful. Practice flying while looking only at the drone as well as when looking at the screen.

Oh, and beware seaplanes and helicopters. Both fly low, and they move a lot faster than you think. My rule of thumb is that if I hear an aircraft and can't see it I drop the drone as low as I can.

Reactions: 4006448
That's encouraging to hear, my main confusion was how everyone says that virtually every city park was no drone fly zone, but I am guessing that's because they don't know I am flying a sub 250g? Thank you for the reply ?

I live in Montreal and one of the main reasons for buying the Mini 2 was due to the fact that the entire airspace is Class "C". In order to fly my Mavic 2 Zoom, I have to leave the Montreal / St-Hubert Class "C" airspace. So when flying in Montreal, I only use the Mini 2 and I follow the T/C guidelines as posted by member Robert Prior.

Reactions: Andy1076
That's encouraging to hear, my main confusion was how everyone says that virtually every city park was no drone fly zone, but I am guessing that's because they don't know I am flying a sub 250g? Thank you for the reply ?
City parks might still be no drone zones by bylaw. They can't stop the actual flight, but takeoff/landing and controlling the drone from a park might break bylaws. You'd have to check.

It's like letting your dog run off-leash — against bylaws but people do it anyway.

If you're avoiding other people (which is safer) then you shouldn't get into trouble, as bylaw officers tend to be reactive.

City parks might still be no drone zones by bylaw. They can't stop the actual flight, but takeoff/landing and controlling the drone from a park might break bylaws. You'd have to check.

It's like letting your dog run off-leash — against bylaws but people do it anyway.

If you're avoiding other people (which is safer) then you shouldn't get into trouble, as bylaw officers tend to be reactive.

Oof, i am planning on taking my first flight at Central park Burnaby at a field where no one ever goes too, with two spotters and a kid. Most definitely away from any bystanders, hope they won't come after me while i do it within all the rules above.

I live in Montreal and one of the main reasons for buying the Mini 2 was due to the fact that the entire airspace is Class "C". In order to fly my Mavic 2 Zoom, I have to leave the Montreal / St-Hubert Class "C" airspace. So when flying in Montreal, I only use the Mini 2 and I follow the T/C guidelines as posted by member Robert Prior.

Fingers crossed that we may continue to use the mini within the grey area. ?

Fingers crossed that we may continue to use the mini within the grey area. ?
Yeah. If only people would stop flying drones in the flight path of airports…

:confused:

Use this tool to check for nearby airports/heliports:

Central Park is just inside the control zone for YVR. Deer Lake Park and Burnaby Lake Park are outside control zones. (Not that it matters for a Mini.)

As long as I'm recommending tools, I use Drone Pilot Canada to log my flights (and check for flight restrictions and NOTAMs).

You might also find Don Joyce's YouTube channel worth watching:

If you're looking for advice on taking better pictures/video, I quite like Stewart and Alina Carroll:

They have a series of videos specifically about the Mavic Mini, which I found handy when I first got my Mini.

Reactions: 4006448
As long as I'm recommending tools, I use Drone Pilot Canada to log my flights (and check for flight restrictions and NOTAMs).

You might also find Don Joyce's YouTube channel worth watching:

If you're looking for advice on taking better pictures/video, I quite like Stewart and Alina Carroll:

They have a series of videos specifically about the Mavic Mini, which I found handy when I first got my Mini.

I read about that incident. Seriously a wt* and a cop too, geeesh! Idiots like that really do ruin it for all of us. Will post something here if someone bothers me at central park, hopefully i will be okay at Burnaby lake too as i'll be flying on the side that's plenty far from the popular bird views. ?

I read about that incident. Seriously a wt* and a cop too, geeesh! Idiots like that really do ruin it for all of us. Will post something here if someone bothers me at central park, hopefully i will be okay at Burnaby lake too as i'll be flying on the side that's plenty far from the popular bird views. ?

I also just downloaded drone pilot canada, thank you for the recommendation! ☺️ I put in the mini and a LOT of red vanished lol!

I also just downloaded drone pilot canada, thank you for the recommendation! ☺️ I put in the mini and a LOT of red vanished lol!
That's a great feeling, eh?

You can also look at the DJI restrictions in advance of a flight, which is handy. Sometimes they're more restrictive than Transport Canada.

Also check out the "emergency" button, which walks you through emergency procedures and will dial the correct numbers to report a flyaway (which hopefully never happens, but…) Full instructions are on Don's YouTube channel.

Hello Robert & All! Haven't been in here for a while. I actually sold my Mavic 2 Pro for the Mini 2 which I have flown at night to get cityscapes of Montreal, Toronto & Calgary. I use Drone Pilot Canada app and usually don't go more than 500 meters away and abide by the altitude restrictions in the app for Sub-250gram drones.

I'm getting the urge to purchase either a DJI Mavic 3 or the newly released Autel EVO Nano+ which has an excellent camera for night videos & photos. I have asked around in other forums about the frequency with which you have to contact NAV Canada if you want to launch your drone for example in the parking lot of Science World or somewhere nearby. A popular local YouTuber Alan Yu says that when he flies his Mavic Pro in this situation, he has to submit his flight plan in advance, which almost always gets approved. The interesting thing is that he says that if you are still in the same area and launch from a different point, NAV Canada only wants to hear from you if you have a flyaway. So maybe it isn't that bad after all for 250g to 25kg drones.

Are there any here who have the Advanced Pilot's Certificate who can share their experiences when flying around areas like False Creek, mainly above the water so as not to endanger the public.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111