DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whew, that was close! Almost lost at sea.

I almost lost my Air 2s to the sea this morning. I wrote an article about what happened and the lessons learned.

Bottom line, I underestimated the wind.

Having an app like UAVForecast can "help" and hopefully know your winds speeds before flying in such conditions. Fly Friday near Garden of the Gods outside of CO Springs and wind was clipping pretty decent. UAVForecast said gusts up to 30-35 mph were in effect. Since I wasn't planning on getting high up, I launched the drone and it flew really decent and got no wind warnings from FlyApp. It did play havoc with battery time remaining though.

I almost lost my Air 2s to the sea this morning. I wrote an article about what happened and the lessons learned.

Bottom line, I underestimated the wind.

You stayed cool and calm under the difficult circumstances, great job and what an nailbiting ending! BTW, great footage of that cargoship and the mighty Verrazano bridge, thanks for posting your adventure, learned something again.

Reactions: tlswift58
You stayed cool and calm under the difficult circumstances, great job and what an nailbiting ending! BTW, great footage of that cargoship and the mighty Verrazano bridge, thanks for posting your adventure, learned something again.
I need his eyesight to fly the 11,000 feet to the ship. Lots of very cool stuff does exist out there; yet publicly stating you flew well over 2+ miles out and remained within regulations - well you guys get the drift. That one drone rule that chaps most everyone's behind can easily get those who flaunt it into trouble, esp with posting a video of it. Jus' sayin'!

At first I thought ‘crash landing’ should have been ‘emergency landing’ until I watched. Good save and lesson learned. 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007