DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which app is best to fly this mission?

Dronemark

Reactions
I need to fly an orbital of a large rectangular building approximately 50 ft. high and capture images of the roof and roof edges. The client has requested the flight be just slightly above roof height, with 80% front and sidelap on the photos, and gimbal angle such that there is no horizon visible. There are 100 ft.+ trees in very close proximity to two sides of the building. Client has said that the orbit does not need to be a perfect circle as long as I capture all sides of the building. They are using the images for 3D mapping.

What app will best address all of these issues? Here's what I've tried so far:

DroneDeploy doesn't seem to be an option because they don't want ortho images from directly overhead, only low altitude angles of the roof edges from an orbital perspective.

GS Pro will fly an orbit, and I can get the necessary gimbal angle and front/sidelap, but it will only fly a circle based on the building radius. So due to the trees, I would have to be considerably higher than roof height and fly a wider orbit. I can program a lower altitude waypoint mission that avoids the trees, but there's no way to get GS Pro to add a point of interest (center of building roof) and get each waypoint to focus on it.

Litchi does have the POI focus feature, and it would also allow me to program a waypoint route at low altitude and avoid the trees, but Litchi doesn't give me the option of front and sidelap, so I would have to do the math on distance between each point manually.

So it appears I have to manually enter either each waypoint heading and gimbal pitch or precise distances between each waypoint and the building. That's a lot of work and math is not my strong suit.

Is there another app that will do everything I need, or a better workaround, or a feature in Litchi, GS or DroneDeploy that I've overlooked?

I don't know that I would rely on ANY app in that situation. Too many variables if your details are accurate. Fly it manually to be safe.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I don't know that I would rely on ANY app in that situation. Too many variables if your details are accurate. Fly it manually to be safe.

With apps I can set precise image captures by distance or time interval. If I fly it manually I don’t know how I’d be able to maintain the control the client requires of exact spacing between images in order to create their map?

I need to fly an orbital of a large rectangular building approximately 50 ft. high and capture images of the roof and roof edges. The client has requested the flight be just slightly above roof height, with 80% front and sidelap on the photos, and gimbal angle such that there is no horizon visible. There are 100 ft.+ trees in very close proximity to two sides of the building. Client has said that the orbit does not need to be a perfect circle as long as I capture all sides of the building. They are using the images for 3D mapping.

What app will best address all of these issues? Here's what I've tried so far:

DroneDeploy doesn't seem to be an option because they don't want ortho images from directly overhead, only low altitude angles of the roof edges from an orbital perspective.

GS Pro will fly an orbit, and I can get the necessary gimbal angle and front/sidelap, but it will only fly a circle based on the building radius. So due to the trees, I would have to be considerably higher than roof height and fly a wider orbit. I can program a lower altitude waypoint mission that avoids the trees, but there's no way to get GS Pro to add a point of interest (center of building roof) and get each waypoint to focus on it.

Litchi does have the POI focus feature, and it would also allow me to program a waypoint route at low altitude and avoid the trees, but Litchi doesn't give me the option of front and sidelap, so I would have to do the math on distance between each point manually.

So it appears I have to manually enter either each waypoint heading and gimbal pitch or precise distances between each waypoint and the building. That's a lot of work and math is not my strong suit.

Is there another app that will do everything I need, or a better workaround, or a feature in Litchi, GS or DroneDeploy that I've overlooked?

Formally Autopilot by Hanger.
Jim McAndrew, the guy that wrote it has now moved on to this outfit...

Reactions: Dronemark
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdjtutt